Man, 29, died from overdosing on IMODIUM which can be taken to mimic an opioid high
- Arjun Patel, 29, of Pennsylvania, was found dead in his home on November 8
- The medical examiner's office now says he died from loperamide poisoning
- Loperamide is contained in the anti-diarrhea drug Imodium AD
- It is said to be able to mimic the kind of high obtained when taking opioids
- Addicts are said to be consuming hundreds of pills with loperamide in them to get high or to self-treat withdrawal symptoms
A medical examiner has revealed that a Pennsylvania man died after overdosing on anti-diarrhea medication that can mimic an opioid high.
Arjun Patel, 29, of Fox Chapel, Pennsylvania, was discovered dead in his home on November 8, 2017.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office has now determined that Patel's cause of death was loperamide poisoning - a drug that is said to have opioid-like side affects and can be found in the over-the-counter anti-diarrhea drug, Imodium AD.
A Pennsylvania medical examiner's office has revealed that Arjun Patel, 29, died of loperamide poisoning. Loperamide is the drug used in anti-diarrhea medications
In large doses, loperamide is said to be able to create the kind of high experienced when partaking of other opioids, Trib Live reported.
Patel's overdose death pronouncement comes two months after the Food and Drug Administration said it plans to put restrictions on the number of doses of medication containing loperamide available per package.
In a safety alert, the FDA said that loperamide is 'a safe drug when used as directed,' at a maximum daily adult dose of 8mg per day for OTC use and 16mg per day when prescribed.
Loperamide, which can mimic an opioid high, is the active ingredient in anti-diarrhea medications like Imodium AD. Experts say addicts have been started taking hundreds of loperamide-containing pills to get high or treat themselves for withdrawal symptoms
However, the FDA said that it continued to receive reports that people were suffering from serious heart problems or dying after taking higher than recommended doses of the drug.
The FDA noted this was particularly true for people who were purposely abusing the drug, which some have taken to calling 'poor man's methadone.'
'When used at extremely high and dangerous doses, it's seen by those suffering from opioid addiction as a potential alternative to manage opioid withdrawal symptoms or to achieve the euphoric effects of opioid use,' FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said in a statement obtained by Trib Live.
With opioid medications becoming harder to obtain due to stricter rules and regulations, experts told the Washington Post that addicts are turning to loperamide as a substitute.
Dr. Michael Lynch of UPMC’s Pittsburgh Poison Center told KDKA that the center has seen a 167 per cent increase in calls stemming from loperamide poisoning from 2015 to 2017. Of those calls, more than half required hospital treatment.
People are said to be taking hundreds of Imodium or generic loperamide-containing medications a day to get high or to combat symptoms of withdrawal.
In a case report published in Clinical Toxicology, doctors wrote about a 48-year-old woman who was treated at a hospital for slurred speech, drowsiness and weakness. The woman said she took 20 to 40 pills of 2mg doses of loperamide once or twice a day for several weeks, alongside drinking whiskey and taking clonazepam.
Blood tests showed that the level of loperamide in her system was the highest ever reported in a non-fatal loperamide overdose.
Most watched News videos
- Shocking surveillance footage shows fatal ATM shooting in Miami
- Shocking moment man is shot dead after pulling gun at traffic stop
- Shocking bodycam video of police fatally shooting Alton Sterling
- Family of five killed after their car plunged off cliff
- Group including Allison Mack chases car carrying sex cult leader
- Cheetah jumps into van during safari trip in Serengeti park
- Headless chicken still going strong a week after losing its head
- Mother speaks about her son's devastating heroin addiction
- Squirrel who lost his front paws gets a second chance
- Family of 8 dies after car mysteriously falls off cliff
- Sickening moment footy star snaps leg after slamming into goalpost
- 'Woke up and the bed was empty!' Sting surprises wife Trudie on set
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.