'I will never forget his gentle spirit': Naomi Watts pays tribute to her ex Heath Ledger as Michelle Williams' BFF Busy Philipps breaks down in tears on 10th anniversary of his death
Naomi Watts has paid tribute to late Brokeback Mountain actor Heath Ledger on the 10th anniversary of his death.
The Australian actor died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs in January 2008 in New York. He was 28.
Naomi, who once dated Heath, posted a picture of the late star on Instagram, saying she would 'never forget his gentle spirit'.
Scroll down for video
Former flames: Naomi Watts has paid tribute to late Brokeback Mountain actor Heath Ledger on the 10th anniversary of his death. Pictured in March 2003 in Melbourne
In the caption, Naomi wrote: 'Thinking about this beautiful soul today. 10 years ago he left this world.
'He was a true original. Heart always on his sleeve, with the most powerful charisma, strength, humour and talent.
'I will never forget his gentle spirit.'
Tribute: Naomi, who once dated Heath, wrote that she would 'never forget his gentle spirit'
Naomi, 49, who moved from the UK to Australia as a teenager, dated Perth-born Heath for nearly two years.
Their relationship ended in 2004 and he died four years later.
She said in 2011: 'We had a beautiful relationship, only a couple of years, but he was a man who was completely full of joy, and there was a lot of laughing and affection.
Romance: Naomi, who moved from the UK to Australia as a teenager, dated Heath for nearly two years. Heath died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs in January 2008
'He was really a very special soul and made a great impact on my life.
'And a great actor, but I know there was so much more to come. And it's such a tragedy for his little daughter.'
After their split, Heath went on to date actress Michelle Williams. The couple had a child, Matilda, who is now 12.
Activist: Heath and Nicole are pictured at an Iraq War protest in Melbourne in 2003 alongside fellow Australian actor Joel Edgerton (right)
Michelle's longtime friend Busy Philipps also shared her feelings about Heath's death on Monday.
Busy stayed with Michelle in her Brooklyn apartment in the wake of the 2008 tragedy to offer emotional support.
And 10 years later, the Dawson's Creek star is still clearly affected by the loss.
In a tearful Instagram Story video, Busy confessed she was thinking of Heath after hearing MGMT's song Time To Pretend on the radio.
Emotional: In a tearful Instagram Story video posted on Monday, Busy Philipps also confessed she was thinking of Heath after hearing MGMT's song Time To Pretend on the radio
'I was just driving and I was thinking about my friend Heath, who died 10 years ago,' she began.
'And this song came on, Time To Pretend, which came out after he had passed away. And I remember when it came out because I thought... it made me think of him.
'I just thought he would have liked this song, you know?'
Holding back tears, Busy continued: 'And for some reason I just... every time I... hear this song, I... and I was just... it's weird, that's all.'
Most watched News videos
- Karen Brady despairs over entrepreneur's £1000 luxury mug
- George W. Bush opens up on the death of his mother Barbara
- Callous woman abandons FOUR dogs on waste ground in Texas
- 'The mouth is for eating': Uganda's president warns against oral sex
- Drug smugglers caught at Heathrow trying to move £16m of cocaine
- Police release body-cam video of the fatal shooting of Elijah Smith
- Shocking moment woman is assaulted by couple who followed her home
- Astounding moment man rides motorbike across surface of Lake Como
- Kyle Plush's family leave city meeting over insensitive remarks
- Terrifying moment surfer is mauled by four-metre great white shark
- Boyfriend confesses to the brutal murder of pregnant girlfriend
- Motorist attempts to destroy bus lane camera and then fights diver