BREAKING NEWS: Former President George H.W. Bush, 93, is in intensive care fighting a blood infection, just days after the funeral of Barbara, his wife of 73 years
- George H. W. Bush, 93, was admitted to Houston Methodist Hospital on Sunday
- He contracted an infection that spread to his blood, according to a spokesman
- Former president is responding to treatment and 'appeared to be recovering'
- His hospitalization came soon after his wife Barbara's funeral on Saturday
Former President George H. W. Bush was rushed to intensive care with an infection just one day after his wife Barbara's funeral.
The 93-year-old was admitted to the Houston Methodist Hospital on Sunday morning after contracting an infection that spread to his blood.
Bush's spokesman Jim McGrath said on Monday that he was responding to treatment and 'appeared to be recovering'.
Former President George H W Bush has been hospitalized with an infection just days after his wife Barbara's funeral
'President Bush was admitted to the Houston Methodist Hospital yesterday morning after contracting an infection that spread to his blood,' a statement read.
'He is responding to treatments and appeared to be recovering. We will issue additional updates as events warrant.'
Bush's hospitalization came soon after he attended his wife's funeral on Saturday as she was laid to rest at his presidential library in College Station.
In honor of his wife of 73 years and her life dedication to family literacy, Bush wore a pair of socks festooned with books for the service.
Bush broke down in tears as his son Jeb Bush, the former Governor of Florida, read aloud one of the dozens of love letters he wrote to his late wife for a moving eulogy.
Bush and the couple's son, former president George W. Bush, were among four former US presidents at the service attended by about 1,500 people.
Bush, pictured above his son George W. Bush at Barbara's funeral, was admitted to the Houston Methodist Hospital on Sunday morning after contracting an infection
Bush was among four former president's to attend the service, including his son George W. Bush. Bill Clinton and Barack Obama were also in attendance with their wives. First Lady Melania Trump also attended the funeral
Barbara Bush was buried in a gated plot at her husband's presidential library at Texas A&M University in College Station, which is about 100 miles from Houston
Bill Clinton and Barack Obama were in attendance, along with three former first ladies Michelle Obama, Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton.
Current First Lady Melania Trump was also in attendance.
Barbara died last Tuesday just days after the Bush family announced she was in failing health and had decided not to seek further medical treatment.
The former first lady had opted to focus on 'comfort care'.
She had been battling chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and congestive heart problems in recent years.
Bush was by his wife's side until the very end and the two were holding hands when she passed away.
President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush, pictured above during the coin toss at the 2017 Super Bowl in Houston, were married 73 years
Bush uses a wheelchair and an electric scooter for mobility after developing a former of Parkinson's disease. He has needed hospital treatment several times in recent years for respiratory problems.
A year ago this month, Bush spent two weeks in the hospital for treatment of pneumonia and chronic bronchitis.
Bush was also hospitalized for 16 days in January 2017 for pneumonia. During that hospital stay, which included time in intensive care, doctors inserted a breathing tube and connected him to a ventilator.
He also was hospitalized in 2015 in Maine after falling at home and breaking a bone in his neck, and in December 2014 for about a week for shortness of breath. He spent Christmas 2012 in intensive care for a bronchitis-related cough and other issues.
Most watched News videos
- Toronto police officer arrests suspect in van attack
- Duke of Cambridge leaves Lindo Wing after royal baby birth
- White van struck several pedestrians on busy corner in Toronto
- Wreckage from van that struck pedestrians in Toronto, Canada
- New parents emerge from Lindo Wing to be greeted by world's media
- Royal baby birth officially announced on easel at Buckingham Palace
- Prince William and Kate emerge from Lindo Wing with new baby boy
- 'Thrice worry now!': Dad-of-three Prince William in good humour
- Prince William and Kate drive home from hospital with third baby
- Prince William brings George and Charlotte to meet royal baby brother
- Duke and Duchess of Cambridge present new royal baby boy
- Duke of Cambridge smiles and waves leaving Lindo Wing
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.