Eminem, 45, reveals he has been sober for 10 years as he flashes special Alcoholics Anonymous coin
Eminem is celebrating a decade of sobriety.
The River star – who has battled an addiction to sleeping pills – posted a picture on Instagram showing him holding up the sobriety chip he was given when he reached the milestone.
'Celebrated my 10 years yesterday,' the 8 Mile star said.
On good footing: Eminem has been sober since 2008, he revealed on Saturday. Seen in 2015
Tough times: When fame began he struggled to deal with it; seen in 1999
The token has the Roman numeral 'X' in the centre of a triangle, for 10 years.
The words 'service', 'unity' and 'recovery' are etched around the edges.
Eminem, whose real name is Marshall Mathers, has been sober since 2008 when he checked himself into rehab and started the 12-step program.
The hip hop star has spoken openly about his addiction and recovery in his music.
The actor nearly died from an accidental overdose.
His note: The token has the Roman numeral 'X' in the centre of a triangle, for 10 years. The words 'service', 'unity' and 'recovery' are etched around the edges
Not looking his best: The Grammy favorite throwing a peace sign in 2005
'In 2007, I overdosed on pills, and I went into the hospital,' he told Men’s Journal in 2015.
'I was close to 230 pounds. I’m not sure how I got so big, but I have ideas.
'The coating on the Vicodin and the Valium I’d been taking for years leaves a hole in your stomach, so to avoid a stomachache, I was constantly eating — and eating badly.'
On screen: Here he is seen with Kim Basinger in 8 Mile. Eminem, whose real name is Marshall Mathers, has been sober since 2008 when he checked himself into rehab and started the 12-step program
But then he started working out.
'When I got out of rehab, I needed to lose weight, but I also needed to figure out a way to function sober,' he added.
'Unless I was blitzed out of my mind, I had trouble sleeping. So I started running. It gave me a natural endorphin high, but it also helped me sleep, so it was perfect.
'It’s easy to understand how people replace addiction with exercise. One addiction for another but one that’s good for them.'
Rapper Royce Da 5’9 congratulated the singer on Friday: 'Happy sobriety birthday to my mentor @Eminem … Keep fighting the good fight homie … I love you for life.'
Eminem was at Coachella last weekend and is supposed to appear again on Sunday.
Still on top of it: Eminem was at Coachella last weekend and is supposed to appear again on Sunday. Seen on April 15
Most watched News videos
- Terrifying moment young boy gets trapped underwater for 9 minutes
- Man accused of murdering his wife walks around holding a head
- Horrifying moment helicopter kills man in attempted rescue
- Piers Morgan debates Alfie Evans' parents right to decide
- Girl gang violently punch and kick teen in shopping centre
- Ronnie Pickering floored with single punch outside Hull pub
- Royals leave Westminster Abbey after Anzac Day service
- Woman runs into car in an attempt to con the driver out of money
- Prince William struggles to keep his eyes open during service
- Cops brutally bash in the head of handcuffed suspect
- Shopkeepers fight knife-wielding thief with chilli powder
- ISIS fighters perform martial arts skills in seized footage