Russia uses armed ROBOT during gun battle that left 11 jihadists dead during anti-terror operation ahead of the World Cup
- WARNING: EXPLICIT CONTENT
- Counter-terrorism forces engaged the extremists in the region of Dagestan
- Region, which borders Georgia, has been the scene of a Islamist insurgency
- Derbent, where the video was filmed, is just 590 miles southeast of Volgograd, where England will play their opening World Cup qualifying group game.
Counter-terrorism forces engaged extremists in the volatile Islamic region of Dagestan over several days.
Dramatic footage shows police marksman firing on a house from an armored vehicle.
A compact armed robot is seen approaching the property to engage the jihadists.
The bullet-ridden bodies of six men were later shown in pictures released by investigative authorities.
Video and audio recordings taken by the robot reveal the voices of rebels shouting 'Allahu Akbar', followed by an explosion, it was reported.
The men were also believed to have been waving a jihadist flag.
An armed robot (pictured) was used by Russian counter-terrorism forces as they attacked a jihadists stronghold in Dagestan
The machine was mounted with an armament and appeared to be being controlled remotely
Derbent, where the video was filmed, is just 590 miles southeast of Volgograd, where England will play their opening World Cup qualifying group game.
The FSB security service has indicated terrorism is the main threat to the World Cup.
'Guns, bullets, knives and grenades were discovered at the scene,' said a statement from the Russian Investigative Committee, which probes serious crime.
A hand made bomb, equal in power to five kilograms of TNT, was discovered before the house went up in flames.
As many as 11 terrorists were killed during multiple flare ups in the region which borders Azerbaijan and Georgia
The operations by Russian special forces come in the lead up to the World Cup which is due to kick off on June 14
The armed men reportedly waved a flag with a jihadist slogan on it. Pictured: One of the 11 men killed by Russian special forces
Dagestan on the Caspian Sea has been the site of a recent insurgency by Islamist militants
One of the dead men was named as Alexander Svistak, from Nefteyugansk in Siberia.
In another operation two alleged members of an armed underground unit were killed in a forest in Derbent.
'A grenade launcher, an assault rifle, cartridges, and a variety of criminal gear were found at the scene of the fight,' said a law enforcement source.
Separately, three men, who authorities said had 'links to the underground radical Islamic movement', were stopped in a sedan car in Derbent.
The Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation has indicated terrorism is the predominant threat to the World Cup. Pictured: An armored truck used in the operation
Guns, bullets, knives and grenades were discovered at the stronghold in Dagestan
The 'Black Standard' flag of ISIS (pictured) was discovered inside the property. The banner was thought to have been flown by Mohamed, but was co-opted by extremists in the 1990s
Special forces asked for their documents and the 'terrorists took out their guns and opened fire,' reported the Investigative Committee.
'Police shot back and all the attackers were liquidated at the scene.
'No police or civilians were injured during the incident.'
Senior Dagestan Interior Ministry official Sergei Karpov said: 'The militants eliminated in Derbent and the [surrounding] district were members of co-called sleeper cells.'
Most watched News videos
- Woman attacked by man with screwdriver in NYC barber shop
- World record breaking wave wins XXL surfing award
- Woman claims to be mistreated by airlines for being 'fat and black'
- Shocking moment groom is shot at his own wedding ceremony
- Horrific video shows gang of men attacking young girl in India
- Horrifying moment tower block in Brazil collapses during huge fire
- Sex offender tied to bench by locals after being captured
- The shocking moment McDonald's employee slaps customer in London
- Frisky dog humps legs of men in the middle of a street fight
- Car drives into crowd outside Newport nightclub three times
- Father who choked boy who bullied daughter says he's NOT a bully
- Millionaire goes shopping before Rich Kids Go Skint airs
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.