Man accused of killing the mother of his three-year-old son while on the run following the fatal drive-by shooting of a six-year-old girl
- Michael Lawrence is one of four suspects accused of killing Lay'la Jones
- Police also claim that Lawrence killed ex girlfriend, Angelica Olivarez, 23
- Authorities say they found his son in the street and her body in her home
- The three-year-old child said that his 'father had shot his mother'
A man accused of killing the mother of his three-year-old son while on the run from the fatal drive-by shooting of a six-year-old girl will stand trial for first degree murder.
Michael Lawrence, from Michigan, is one of four suspects accused of killing six-year-old Lay'la Jones, in Saginaw, in August 2012.
Saginaw police also claim that Lawrence
killed ex girlfriend, 23-year-old Angelica Olivarez, while on the run from the earlier offense.
Michael Lawrence, from Michigan, is one of four suspects accused of killing six-year-old Lay'la Jones, in Saginaw, in August 2012
Her body was discovered by officers on April
15 in her home after her son three-year-old Michael Lawrence III was found in the streets outside.
Authorities say the boy said that his father had shot his mother, MLIVE reports.
A hearing next month will decide whether Lawrence will stand trial in his ex-girlfriend's killing.
Lawrence faced a preliminary court hearing in Saginaw on Monday over Lay'la's killing, which heard from several witnesses, including the detective on the case, and a man who claims he was in the car with Lawrence on the day of the shooting.
Lay'la's father, cousin and grandmother also testified.
The man - who has not been named - linked 24-year-old Lawrence to the shooting.
Saginaw County Assistant Prosecutor A. George Best holds a photograph of Lay'la Jones. She was killed during a 'drive by'
He said that he, Lawrence, and two men called Levonne J. Greer, and Rico A. Saldana had been mourning the loss of their friend Bobby Bailey, who had been shot earlier that day - close to where Lay'la was later killed.
The group had been drinking and smoking marijuana, he said.
Later they drove toward the area of Norman, with semi-automatic handguns on their laps, the man said.
He claims that there was no discussion about any kind of plan, when Saldana turned left onto Essling Street.
He said there were people stood on or near the pavements on both sides of the street.
He said somebody in the car called out: 'there's somebody right there', when Lawrence stuck his arm out the window, and the man heard '15 to 20' gunshots.
He said at least two bullets, one from each side of the street, then hit the car they were in.
Lay'la's grandmother, who along with other family members cannot be named, reported that she had just arrived to pick up the child and her father when she heard the gunshots, which sounded like a 'firework'.
Michael D. Lawrence, 25, has been found guilty of killing his ex girlfriend, 23-year-old Angelica Olivarez, while on the run from the earlier offence
She described seeing 'two white balls' coming out of a car which appeared to be stationary.
When the shooting had stopped, she was told that Lay'la had been shot. The child was taken in her grandmother's car to the hospital but died of her injuries.
The medical examiner said that the girl had died after being shot in the chest.
After he was charged for Lay'la Jones' murder, Lawrence went on the run from police. A multistate manhunt was launched after his ex-girlfriend, and mother of his child, was found dead in the city's west-side in April. He is charged with an open count of murder, or felony murder, over her death.
In July Greer was convicted by a jury of all charges. In September he was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
Saldana's trial is scheduled for December 17. Court officials will schedule Lawrence's trial for the same day.
Most watched News videos
- Moment MASS brawl escalates at Garage Nation Festival in East London
- Shocking moment bear mauls man after villagers attack it
- Illegal immigrant arrested for starting wildfires in Colorado
- Meghan Markle arrives at Ascot to cheer for Prince Harry
- Horrific video shows missing Armoni Chambers being assaulted
- Bullied teen arrives at school prom with 120 strong motorcade
- Moped rider goes flying after BMV is driven straight at him
- Keefe D recounts what happened the night Tupac was shot
- Woman with fake bump tests how many commuters give up tube seat for her
- Malia Obama spotted partying with friends in Montauk
- 'No hard border' with Northern Ireland Theresa May to MPs on Brexit
- Heartwarming moment elephant rushes to protect caregiver 'in danger'
No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.