'It hurt my heart!' The Split viewers left in turmoil over 'emotional roller coaster' finale that ended in the DEATH of one of the protagonists
- In the series finale of The Split the Defoe sister's father Oscar died suddenly
- He previously had surgery on his heart, though this was only mentioned once
- The twist left viewers feeling emotional, with many saying they were 'in tears'
- It came after Hannah finally slept with Christie after discovering Nathan's affair¬†
Tonight saw the hotly anticipated finale of BBC legal drama The Split, but the climax to the series proved to be emotional for many.
The sixth and final episode saw Hannah (Nicola Walker) finally sleep with 'the one that got away' Christie (Barry Atsma) after discovering her husband Nathan had cheated on her with a woman he met on an illicit dating website.
But the morning after their tryst Hannah received a frantic call from her sister telling her that her father Oscar Defoe (Anthony Head) had suddenly passed away.
Oscar had revealed in episode four that he had an operation on his heart, but his health problems weren't mentioned again so the ending came as a surprise to some viewers.
One said that it 'hurt my heart' and others said they were 'heartbroken' at the ending.
Hannah's father Oscar died suddenly in the gripping series finale of The Split on BBC One
The underlying plot of the series was Hannah's temptation to go running back to ex-lover Chrisite after the pair slept together the night before her wedding.
But when she finally gave in their affair was overshadowed by her father's tragic death, and she rushed to be with her sisters.
As the ambulance drove away with her father's body, viewers were left emotional.
One tweeted: 'Cried at the end, not sure if it was happy or sad. Did she make the right decision?'¬†
The unexpected twist left viewers in tears, with many saying they were 'sobbing' on Twitter
'OMG I CAN'T STOP CRYING,' another posted.
A third said: 'I cannot cope, emotional roller coaster.'
'May just have shed a few tears at that ending though. Jeeeeeze,' a fourth wrote.¬†
Oscar had been away from the family for over 30 years when he left to be with the woman he was having an affair with.
Hannah had finally gone to Christie after she decided she didn't want to forgive her husband's cheating
They were woken up by a phone call from her sister who told her that their dad had died
It was revealed in a previous episode that he'd had surgery on his heart when his ex wife Ruth (Deborah Findlay) discovered a huge scar on his chest.
It seemed like Hannah could have had a change of heart over Christie when following her father's death.
But when he followed her there she smiled and told him not to go to Chicago, where he was planning to move to for work.
Her husband Nathan (Stephen Mangan) finally confessed to his affair in last week's episode, and tonight begged Hannah for forgiveness.
It was previously revealed that Oscar had an operation on his heart when Ruth discovered his scar
Hannah rushed home to be with her devastated family after her father's death
He said: 'I am so sorry, until the day I die I'll regret what I did. Be angry with me, hate me, take as long as you need but tonight can we please just be together tonight?'
She put on a brave face for her sister's wedding but when she couldn't get to sleep, Hannah fled the house in the middle of the night to be with Christie.¬†
The episode also saw Hannah's sister Rose (Fiona Button) marry James (Rudi Dharmalingam) after the pair temporarily called off their wedding day.
It was also the end of the road for family law firm Defoes, as the business had run out of money and was joining with Noble & Hale where Hannah now works.¬†
Hannah tried to put on a brave face when Nathan begged her for forgiveness over his affair
The tragedy happened just hours after youngest sister Rose got married to James
Most watched News videos
- 'It's a find of a lifetime': Archaeologist Dr Cl√≠odhna N√≠ Lion√°in
- Salvage team discovers Russian cruiser 113 years after it sank
- Courageous woman hides victim from kidnappers till cops arrive
- Beach in Ciutadella Menorca hit by mini-tsunami 'rissaga'
- The streets of Alcudia in Mallorca are flooded by mini-tsunami
- Staff rant about autistic child heard on mother's voicemail
- Brave lion cub forced to jump into raging river to follow mother
- Model Annabelle Neilson walks the catwalk in 2010 fashion show
- Drowned woman and child found next to survivor clinging to wreck
- Comedian is forced to move her scooter from disability space on train
- The terrifying moment a plane comes crashing down in South Africa
- Duchess of Rutland shows off daughter Eliza's singing talent