Horrifying moment out-of-control car mounts pavement and mows down two pedestrians leaving elderly man fighting for his life in hospital
- One person is fighting for their life after a car crashed into a shop in London
- The Jaguar mounted the kerb and smashed into a pharmacy in Golders Green
- Police, paramedics and London Fire Brigade are currently at the scene
This is the horrifying moment an out of control Jaguar with a man clinging to the windscreen ploughs into an elderly man leaving him fighting for his life.
The Jaguar X-Type mounted the pavement in Golders Green, north west London and sped towards an elderly man unable to get out of the way.
The car, with a 2.5-litre V6 engine, smashed into the front of a pharmacy. Witnessed raced to the scene and lifted the shop's front shutter away from the vehicle.
Two people have been injured after a car ploughed into a shop in Golders Green, London
The car hit one man who was pushed onto the vehicle's bonnet as it headed to the old man
The old man tried to get out of the way as the car hurtled towards him at lunchtime today
The Jaguar X-Type went along the pavement out-of-control hitting two pedestrians
The area was packed with shoppers preparing for Passover.
CCTV footage from the area showed a woman walk along the stretch of road before the 2.5-litre V6 Jaguar X-Type mounted the kerb with someone already on the bonnet before hitting an elderly gentleman walking on the pavement.
Moments later, dozens of witnesses raced to the pharmacy to assist those who were injured.
The London Air Ambulance landed in a nearby playing field to take one of those injured in the crash to hospital.
Scotland Yard confirmed one man has been taken to a central London hospital with life-threatening injuries.
The incident happened on Golders Green Road, NW11 around 11.46.
The Met Police said they are awaiting an update on the second person's condition.
Dozens of people raced to the pharmacy in order to assist with the rescue efforts
This woman walked along the same stretch of pavement moments before the car arrived
The main Golders Green Road has been temporarily closed with the emergency services deal with the scene.
Scotland Yard confirmed they are dealing with this incident as a 'road traffic collision' and no arrests have been made.
Both men have been 'taken as a priority to a major trauma centre'.
Local resident Sharon Klaff, 69, who was driving to work as a yoga teacher in the aftermath of the crash, was told that a man had been trapped under a car.
One person was believed to be trapped underneath the car following the smash
Police confirmed that one person is suffering 'life threatening injuries' following the crash
She said: 'It is a terrible thing to see. It is quite traumatic to watch. The police and the emergency services have been doing a fantastic job in caring for people. It is troubling to see. In my heart I am hoping it was just an accident.
'When I came to the shop there was people holding the shopfront up so that the debris - like the sign - did not fall and hit anyone. People were trying to help and trying to make sure that no one got injured."
Passer-by David Collier tweeted: 'Tragic. People holding shop front up . Certainly serious injury. People just out for pesach shopping. Heartbreaking.'
CST, a charity that helps British Jews tackle antisemitism, tweeted that it appeared to be an accident.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said fire crews from Hendon, Finchley and Paddington fire stations were called out to 'a road traffic accident involving a car in collision with a shop front'.
Most watched News videos
- Video of GIANT bull with muscling genetic mutation sparks outrage
- Piers Morgan believes Meghan Markle is 'acting her way to top'
- 'You never listen to me': Macron to Saudi prince at G20
- U.S. Navy vice admiral found dead in Bahrain home
- CCTV shows moment Mercedes blows up with 11-year-old boy inside
- 11-year-old 'zombified IS child terrorist' brandishes a knife
- Katya Jones accidentally headbutts husband in Strictly rehearsal
- Nazi-loving kid gets punched in the face by black student in Colorado
- Surveillance shows moment bar owner is disarmed and shot
- George H.W. Bush's train heads to Texas ahead of his funeral
- Joy Behar argues with Meghan Mccain about George H.W. on The View
- Woman's cruel plan to frame husband by punching herself in the face