Jose Mourinho eyes Nemanja Matic deal and raid on old club Chelsea with £200m Manchester United transfer kitty
- Jose Mourinho is set to succeed Louis van Gaal as Manchester United boss
- Mourinho is keen to sign midfielder Nemanja Matic from old club Chelsea
- He is also interested in bringing Everton's John Stones to Old Trafford
- Juan Mata wants to fight for his future under incoming boss Mourinho
- Mourinho might have more problems with star goalkeeper David de Gea
Jose Mourinho may raid his old club Chelsea as he looks to spend the £200million transfer kitty he will be handed by Manchester United this summer.
With Mourinho set to take over at United from Louis van Gaal, who was sacked on Monday, he is keen to sign midfielder Nemanja Matic. He also wants to lure Everton's central defender John Stones, who he tried to sign at Stamford Bridge, to Old Trafford as he bids to strengthen the spine of the United team.
Stones would cost about £45m, while an alternative might be Raphael Varane, whose fee would be £35m from Real Madrid. Chelsea would look for more than £25m if Mourinho tries to sign Matic.
Incoming Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho is keen to sign his former Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic
Mourinho is also keen on Everton and England defender John Stones, who he has tried to sign in the past
Former Chelsea boss Mourinho was pictured near his London home with Rui Faria on Monday afternoon
United might target Sporting Lisbon's Joao Mario at a cost of £35m.
United midfielder Juan Mata wants to resolve his differences with Mourinho and stay at the club but the new manager may face a struggle to keep his first-choice goalkeeper David de Gea.
The future of Spanish playmaker Mata has been clouded in speculation since it emerged that Mourinho is set to arrive.
During his second spell at Chelsea, Mourinho ostracised Mata before the player was sold to Manchester United for £37m in January 2014.
Sources close to Mata insist the player does not see the situation as irreparable with the incoming coach.
Mourinho is set to be reunited with Juan Mata when he succeeds Louis van Gaal at Manchester United
Mourinho cast Mata aside at the start of his second spell as Chelsea manager, selling him to United in 2014
But with Mourinho now heading to Old Trafford, Mata is keen to resolve his differences with his former boss
It is understood Mata is keen to hold talks with Mourinho and extend his stay at Old Trafford.
The future of Mata's Spanish compatriot De Gea is less clear.
De Gea shares the same agent as Mourinho, the Portuguese representative Jorge Mendes, but Sportsmail understands this will not guarantee the keeper remains at United.
The future of David de Gea is less clear and the Spanish goalkeeper could still leave United this summer
De Gea has previously been keen on a move to Real Madrid who are maintaining an interest in him
De Gea is much more settled at United than this time last year, when he was set on a move to Real Madrid only for the transfer to fall through on deadline day.
However, the goalkeeper wants a club he believes can compete for trophies and while the FA Cup success was welcome, he is concerned that United are not playing in the Champions League.
Real are maintaining an interest in De Gea's situation.
Most watched Sport videos
- 'Good to be home!' Spurs fans gather for first match at stadium
- Tottenham stars surprise superfans with tickets to the opening game
- Footballers react to racist abuse aimed at Juventus' Moise Kean
- Chelsea 3-0 Brighton: Maurizio Sarri on Hudson-Odoi start
- Man City 2-0 Cardiff: Pep Guardiola press conference after match
- Cardiff manager Neil Warnock says 'My team has worked hard'
- Chelsea 3-0 Brighton: Chris Hughton after heavy loss
- Aintree Racecourse overhauls facilities to ensure horses' welfare
- Kylian Mbappe meets soccer legend Pele for the first time
- Nuno Espirito Santo 'pleased' with his team after win over Man U
- 'We should have won': Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reacts to loss
- Pep Guardiola admits he can't control partying of Benjamin Mendy