'I was brought to tears!' Shanina Shaik reflects on her emotional evening at the amFAR gala in Hong Kong as she shares the story of a young orphan living with HIV
She turned heads at the 2018 American Foundation for AIDS Research (amFAR) gala at Shaw Studios in Hong Kong on Monday night.
And by the end of the evening, Shanina Shaik, 27, was in a reflective mood, taking to Instagram to post about the effect the gala had had on her the following morning.
'I was truly touched and bought to tears last night,' she captioned an image of white roses. 'An 8-year-old boy, who is living with HIV, lost his parents at a young age and only 3 years ago lost his younger brother.
'I was brought to tears last night!' Shanina Shaik reflected on her emotional evening raising awareness for AIDS at the amFAR gala. Pictured with Alessandra Ambrosio
Touched: 'I was truly touched and bought to tears last night,' Shanina wrote alongside an image of white roses
'He is being punished by society for a virus he never asked for. Not being able to attend certain schools, sit in the cafeteria with the other kids and even just the modern day contact with people.
'Let's educate ourselves with the facts about AIDS and support all adults and children who are living with HIV.'
Ahead of the event, the Australian model commanded attention in a plunging gown which she paired with an aquamarine stone necklace.
The gown was adorned at the front with an oversized bow detail, and the rest of the outfit silver and sparkling.
Pensive: She was in a reflective mood, taking to Instagram to post about the effect the gala had had on her the following morning
Star quality: Shanina sparkled in a silver dramatically plunging gown and showed off her incredible pins at the amFAR Gala in Hong Kong
While the back of the gown cascaded to the floor behind her, the front featured a high-cut, slanted hem, which showed off her toned pins.
She wore black strap heels and accessorised with a hot pink clutch.
Shanina teamed her necklace with statement earrings, and styled her chestnut tresses in chic updo.
Sweeping statement: While the back of the gown cascaded to the floor behind her, the front featured a high-cut, slanted hem, which showed off her toned pins
The 2018 gala honoured the innovative American artist KAWS and philanthropist and longtime HIV/AIDS activist Cathy Lee.
Previous honorees have included Michelle Yeoh and Victoria Beckham, with the likes of Charlize Theron, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Adrien Brody, and Michelle Rodriguez serving as Event Chairs since the gala's inception.
In just three years, amFAR Gala Hong Kong has raised more than US$11 million in support of the Foundation’s lifesaving work.
Most watched News videos
- Man crashes motorcycle doing tricks to impress people in Mexico
- WARNING: Armed assassin executes lawyer inside his office
- Video shows taxi driver dump passenger on pavement after argument
- Alan Jones shuts down female panellist during fiery Q&A debate
- Horrifying moment banned driver runs over six-year-old girl
- US soldier surprises daughter at her high school graduation
- CCTV shows woman in Cheshire stealing cash from kid's wallet
- Shocking CCTV shows homeless man beaten outside sandwich bar
- Two men arrested after video shows man urinating on boy's memorial
- Huawei P30 Pro users demonstrates the 50X superzoom
- What a day for a garden party! Queen smiles talking to guests
- Moment biker thinks he has found his buddy’s stolen dirt bike