Former Miss America marries her girlfriend in a romantic Southern wedding after her eight-year-old son walked her down the aisle
- The 2005 Miss America pageant winner, Deidre Downs Gunn, wed her girlfriend
- The couple tied the knot Saturday at the Birmingham Museum of Art in Alabama
- Downs Gunn's eight-year-old son served as her best man and walked her down the aisle for the special day
- The guests gorged on traditional Southern comfort food like chicken and waffles and biscuits
- The couple met online in February 2017 and Downs Gunn said it was love at first sight for her
- The brunette beauty queen proposed on Christmas Day. Jones then asked Downs Gunn's son for permission after
- The pageant winner currently works as a physician, and Jones, as an attorney
Deidre Downs Gunn, the 2005 Miss America pageant winner, tied the knot to her girlfriend in a charming Southern ceremony on Saturday.
The brunette beauty queen turned physician exchanged vows with her attorney partner, Abbott Jones, in front of 200 family and friends at the historic Birmingham Museum of Art in Alabama.
Downs Gunn's eight-year-old son served as his mother's best man and also walked her down the aisle for the special day. He is her only child from her first marriage to Andrew Gunn.
Both brides donned crisp white - with Downs Gunn in a floral-detailed lace LianCarlo dress, and Jones, a satin-like Sareh Nouri ball gown with a bow in the back.
Former Miss America winner Deidre Downs Gunn (L) and attorney, writer Abbott Jones (R) wed on Saturday in Alabama
The happy couple exchanged vows in front of 200 family and friends at the historic Birmingham Museum of Art
Both brides donned white - with Downs Gunn in a floral-detailed lace LianCarlo dress, and Jones, a satin-like Sareh Nouri ball gown with a bow in the back. They are seen dancing together at the reception
The guests gorged on traditional Southern comfort food like chicken and waffles and buttered biscuits.
The pair shared the details about their matrimony while speaking to People. The pageant winner gushed about her new wife: 'I feel overjoyed to have found someone to share life's adventures.
'The wedding was beautiful and special, but it was really just the beginning of our life together. I'm so lucky to have a wife who fills even small, everyday moments with great joy.'
The happy couple have been dating for more than one year, and revealed they first met online in February 2017.
Downs Gunn, Miss Alabama, and newly crowned Miss America, walks down the runway after being crowned, at the finals of the Miss America Pageant in The Boardwalk Hall, on September 18, 2004 in Atlantic City, New Jersey
The beauty queen is seen posing in her swimsuit during the swimsuit portion of the pageant to the left. Right, Miss America 2004, Erika Dunlap, crowns Downs Gunn as the winner of the 2005 Miss America Pageant
Miss Alabama, Deidre Downs Gunn, appears during the quiz portion of the 2005 Miss America Pageant. Downs, was in a three way tie for high score and was crowned the winner at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City
Downs Gunn said the meeting was love at first sight for her - and she knew she had a future with Jones already on their first date which included sushi and cocktails.
Downs Gunn (R) said she instantly fell in love with her partner of more than one year, Jones (L)
Downs Gunn popped the question to her girlfriend on Christmas Day with a ring and video montage of special moments the pair shared together.
Following the proposal, Jones thoughtfully asked Downs Gunn's son for permission to marry her. He reportedly replied, 'cool,' according to People.
'We both want to live our intention, chase our passions and do good in the world,' Jones said in the interview.
Jones said they are polar opposites, which makes the relationship more exciting.
'Deidre is more pure of heart and sensible. I'm more the risk taker, so we balance each other out.'
The down-to-earth Downs Gunn, raised in Pelham, Alabama, was crowned Miss America by her predecessor, Ericka Dunlap.
The Birmingham Museum of Art in Alabama is seen above, where former Miss America winner Downs Gunn and her partner Abbott Jones wed
Downs Gunn, who currently works as an obstetrician and gynecologist at the University of Alabama-Birmingham Medical Center, also donned all-white for the pageant.
When longtime host Chris Harrison called her name, he asked Downs Gunn how she felt after winning the title. She replied: 'I don't believe it.'
The beauty queen beamed and spoke graciously: 'This is just wonderful. It's incredible. Thank you.'
Harrison then asked her, 'Did you even dream that this could come true?'
She responded: 'No... In my dreams, but not realistically. This is wonderful. This is just wonderful,' before walking the runway as Clay Aiken sang 'There She Is, Miss America.'
Most watched News videos
- Man is beaten and kicked in the face on the NY subway
- Sneak peak at the ABC documentary 'This is Farrah Fawcett'
- Bodycam footage shows armed cop fatally shooting an active shooter
- AOC says growing cauliflower in community gardens is 'colonial'
- YouTuber cuts through objects with a superheated sword
- Theresa May delivers final plea to MPs to back her Brexit deal
- Dashcam captures F-16 pilot ejecting from plane before crash
- Huawei P30 Pro users demonstrates the 50X superzoom
- Moment biker thinks he has found his buddy’s stolen dirt bike
- Tour the inside of Oakland's secret Mormon temple
- Man beats his ex-girlfriend and attacks her hairdresser friend
- Horrifying moment banned driver runs over six-year-old girl