Mesut Ozil makes pilgrimage to Muslim holy city Mecca during tour of the Middle East as Arsenal star takes time off before Euro 2016
- Mesut Ozil, 27, tours the Middle East ahead of European Championship
- The German midfielder is a practising Muslim and made a trip to Mecca
- Ozil competed in a charity match with some Jordanian children refugees
- Was an 'overwhelming winner' in Arsenal's Player of the Season vote
- Read: Arsenal unveil new home kit for the 2016-17 season
The 27-year-old will be one of Germany's key players at this summer's event in France but the former Real Madrid man made time for a brief tour of the Middle East where he also visited Dubai and was involved in a charity soccer match in Jordan to benefit Syrian refugees.
Photographed in front of the sacred black stone, Ozil posted the image below on his Instagram account before adding the caption: '#Mecca #HolyCity #SaudiArabia #Islam #Pray'.
Mesut Ozil, who is a practising muslim and recites the Quran before matches, makes the trip to Mecca
Ozil also spent time in Dubai in the company of Khaled Al-Muhairy, the CEO of a major investment firm
Ozil also paid a visit to a refugee camp in Jordan on Wednesday to play football with some of the children.
The German star headed to the Zaatari Refugee Camp last week in partnership with the Asian Football Development Project (AFDP), which is aiming to use football to bring a degree of normality to the everyday lives of those in the area.
The camp, 80 kilometres (50 miles) north of the capital Amman, is home to 80,000 refugees from the brutal war in neighbouring Syria.
Ozil then took part in an afternoon training session at Amman stadium for Jordan's Under-17 girls team
The German then posed for pictures and selfies after handing out replicas of his Arsenal shirt to those present
MESUT OZIL'S 2015-16 STATS
Premier League: 35 Apps, 6 Goals,19 Assists
Champions League: 8 Apps, 2 Goals
FA Cup: 1 App
After struggling with consistency early in his Arsenal career, Ozil was an 'overwhelming winner' after being named their Player of the Season in a vote by the fans.
The 27-year-old enjoyed his best campaign in north London and was head and shoulders above his team-mates at times, scoring eight goals and assisting 19 while smashing the record for most chances created - 146 - in a Premier League season.
Despite his current deal ending in 2018, Ozil has said that he is in no rush to begin contract talks and that the European Championship takes priority for him. Arsenal will be sweating though as they hope to persuade the assist king to commit his future to the club.
Ozil was an 'overwhelming winner' in Arsenal's Player of the Season award which was voted by the fans
The German was only one assist from equalling former Gunner Thierry Henry's assist record for a season
Most watched Sport videos
- Ruiz confident he can defend his title ahead of Joshua rematch
- Gareth Bale coy on tumultuous summer
- England train ahead of Euro 2020 qualifier against Bulgaria
- Michael Owen still hasn't cleared the air with Alan Shearer
- Garry Monk announced as Sheffield Wednesday manager
- Eddie Jones happy with final match before Japan
- Joshua determined to reclaim heavyweight title from Ruiz
- Marcus Rashford: Racism in football is 'going backwards'
- Ruiz Jr confident history will be repeated in rematch with AJ
- 'This time the angels will be with me': AJ talks Ruiz rematch
- UFC 242: Khabib and Poirier weigh in ahead of showdown in Abu Dhabi
- Gareth Southgate and Marcus Rashford on Bulgaria match