Sean Garinger dead at 20: 16 and Pregnant star killed in horror ATV accident leaving behind two young children with ex Selena Gutierrez

• Garinger died in an ATV accident February 28 in Boone, North Carolina 
  • He and ex Selena Gutierrez, 20, are parents to Dareli, three, and Esmi, one
  • Officials said an ATV landed on top of Garinger after he had gone to move it and it careened off of an embankment 
  • His mother Mary Hobbs witnessed the accident and 'laid next to' her son on the ground before first responders arrived 

16 and Pregnant personality Sean Garinger died in an ATV accident February 28 at the age of 20 in Boone, North Carolina.

He was seen on the series with ex Selena Gutierrez, 20, as they welcomed their two children, Dareli, three, and Esmi, one.

Garinger had been in front of MTV's cameras in part B of the show's sixth season, as Gutierrez was one of five expecting teenagers whose motherhood journeys were documented on the program. 

His mother Mary Hobbs told The U.S. Sun about the circumstances of the tragic accident, in which Garinger's skull was 'crushed.'

Hobbs said, 'He was just moving [the ATV] from one parking spot to the next for me, so I could back into park. He pulled [in] front of me to park the ATV and the ground gave way from all the rain and mud.'

16 and Pregnant personality Sean Garinger died February 28 in an ATV accident at the age of 20 in Boone, North Carolina

16 and Pregnant personality Sean Garinger died February 28 in an ATV accident at the age of 20 in Boone, North Carolina

Hobbs said her son's head suffered severe head injuries when the ATV flipped over.

She added: 'I ran to neighbors trying to get someone to help me get the ATV off of him. No one answered. I ran back to him. By that time, I realized he wasn't alive anymore.'

Hobbs said that she 'laid next to' her son on the ground prior to the ambulance showing up at the scene.

She told the outlet, 'There was a huge part of my heart that died with my son on Wednesday. He was my only son, my rock, my strength when I had none left.'

Garinger had been ready to purchase a vehicle to visit his daughters, who reside in Fountain, Colorado with their mother and grandmother, according to his mother. 

Hobbs told the outlet that she and Garinger had visited a car dealership in the hours prior to the deadly incident and were planning on returning, but they 'never made it back to the dealership.'

She said that her late child 'loved spontaneously jumping in the car for a road trip or a beach sesh' and had 'bonded over music, fast cars and shooting guns and taking new adventures.

'Sean brightened my world in a way no one else could ever come close to. He was my baby boy, my squishy, my heartbeat.'

He was seen on MTV with ex Selena Gutierrez and their two children, Dareli and Esmi

He was seen on MTV with ex Selena Gutierrez and their two children, Dareli and Esmi

The ATV landed on top of Garinger after he had gone to move it and it careened off of an embankment, the sheriff¿s office said

The ATV landed on top of Garinger after he had gone to move it and it careened off of an embankment, the sheriff’s office said

Garinger had been in front of MTV cameras in the show's sixth season

Garinger had been in front of MTV cameras in the show's sixth season

Watauga County Sheriff’s Office Major Kelly Redmon told the Watauga Democrat March 1 that Watauga Medics and the Watauga County Sheriff’s Office had responded to the fatal accident, identifying Garinger as the victim.

The ATV landed on top of Garinger after he had gone to move it and it careened off of an embankment, the sheriff’s office told the outlet.

'Our hearts are heavy with sorrow for the loss experienced by the family and loved ones of the victim,' the WCSO said in a news release.

According to an obituary posted by Austin & Barnes Funeral Home, Garinger, 'known affectionately as "Squishy," was a military brat who touched lives all around the country.

'He never knew a stranger, regardless of age, and was always willing to lend a helping hand. His kind and generous nature endeared him to all who knew him.'

The obituary noted that Garinger 'had a passion for living life to the fullest' and that 'his adventurous spirit and love for excitement were evident in all aspects of his life.

'He enjoyed driving RC cars, sky diving, shark diving, dirt bikes, flying his drone, driving ATVs, surfing, and spending time in the ocean.'

A service was held in his memory Saturday at Austin & Barnes Funeral Home. 

Gutierrez was one of five expecting teenagers whose motherhood journeys were documented on the program

Gutierrez was one of five expecting teenagers whose motherhood journeys were documented on the program

Garinger had been ready to purchase a vehicle to visit his daughters, who reside in Colorado with their mother, according to his mother

Garinger had been ready to purchase a vehicle to visit his daughters, who reside in Colorado with their mother, according to his mother 

The MTV show depicted the fallout between Garinger and Gutierrez during her first pregnancy, as she believed he had been unfaithful to her.

A family source told The U.S. Sun that Garinger and Gutierrez had been separated for more than a year, and had been romantically involved with others as of late.

Garinger 'visited Selena's family literally a week before his death because he came to Colorado to visit his daughters,' the source said, adding that Gutierrez was 'not in a good place' following her ex's passing. 

Garinger 'was doing well' at the time prior to his passing and 'wanted to finish school,' with an eye on a career in welding, the source said. 

Garinger is survived by daughters, Dareli and Esmi, mother Mary and sisters Shania, Lydia, Isabella, Ember, Kayden, and Casslyn, according to the obituary.