Saving page now... http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?30395-Read-this-now-STOP-CALLING-IT-DEEP-HOUSE!&s=79dcd88d32140b9a6ac28d0eacdf72ff&p=294960&viewfull=1 As it appears live September 24, 2020 2:19:51 AM UTC
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Read this now: STOP CALLING IT DEEP HOUSE!

Read this now: STOP CALLING IT DEEP HOUSE!

In the spirit of Sigma's latest post concerning genres, check this article out from Mixmag:

Trust me, if you don't know the difference between the music from Detroit and Chicago and have no idea who Larrry Heard is then you need to read it.

You heard the new Bondax? Sick deep house, bruv.

Except it isn't deep house. Neither is the latest George FitzGerald, nor the next Duke Dumont. Maybe it's for lack of a better term. Maybe it's because such sounds are not as bright and bold as, say, Rustie's glo-step or maybe it's because there's more subtlety to it than the latest EDM headache. Who knows? But bulbous, rubbery bass in a club track does not equal deep house.

Without getting too pernickety, incorrect genre blanketing is a plague on plenty of new music. Whether it’s a bass producer being lumped in with dubstep, a juke producer being categorised as future garage or Burial being heralded as the saviour of night bus, ill informed youngsters, out-of-touch music retailers and wannabe bloggers are bandying signifiers around with infuriating abandon.

Whether it’s the result of a lack of historical perspective, laziness or bandwagon jumping does not matter, but it needs to stop. In the case of my beloved deep house, for instance, it’s a genre not just defined by a slight sense of atmosphere, lazy jazz motifs, rounded edges or warm bass notes, it’s about so much more. Or it should be.

STOP CALLING IT DEEP HOUSE!

Click here for mobile viewing.
    Last edited by Mahatma Coat; 08-23-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

^ thank you!
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

I blame beatport.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

I am with ya'll and all, but I feel like music evolves also. Obviously the stuff being called deep house by today standard are going to sound completely different from the origins of the genre it self.

I have been buying a lot off deep and tech house lately and rather enjoy the perk of energy to the newer styles of deep and tech coming out.

Like this is very poppy and not like the 80's stuff but man it is so nice and, IMO, deep as fuck. This particular track is currently getting raped to pieces by re mixers and what not but I think it is an example of what the article may be ranting about.

Oh, and I blame beatport too.......
    If you aint havin fun you aint havin nothin. http://www.facebook.com/fat8ack
    http://soundcloud.com/fat8ack

I was not aware that pernickety and persnickety were the same. I assumed one was spelled incorrectly, the US just decided to add an s in there.
    The rest of the world is tired of US interventionism and the US taxpayer is tired of footing the bill for US interventionism. #teamidiot is on the prowl

Quote Originally Posted by fat8ack View Post
    I am with ya'll and all, but I feel like music evolves also. Obviously the stuff being called deep house by today standard are going to sound completely different from the origins of the genre it self.
    Totally with you dude, up to a point. But there are still signifiers which can mark a track out as deep house over another genre. Like the article says, you've got people like Fred P & Small people who sound nothing like Larry Heard, yet they're still making sounds which are clearly deep house tracks.

Click here for mobile viewing.
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

Quote Originally Posted by fat8ack View Post
    I am with ya'll and all, but I feel like music evolves also.
    While true, there is still a lot of misinformation regarding genre classification largely perpetuated by the commercialization in the scene - when genre name becomes hot like "progressive" or "deep", everyone just throws that tag on their track.

There is a "deep" house afternoon party in Santa Monica... and the once I've been, they were playing tech house the entire time. A buddy has gone and another buddy has played that party and minimal if any actual deep house was played. Went to see Fodera at the King King just after WMC and he played pretty much entirely tech and garage... which has basically co-opted the "deep" name... I call it nu-deep.

I'm even buying tracks at the moment and a lot of what is tagged as deep house simply isn't.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

can we please stop the genre naming bullshit.

Just listen to what you think sounds nice, not what arbitrarily tag it has on beatport, it doesnt matter. Its all about the music, dont forget that
    'George Clinton meeting Kraftwerk in an elevator'

so what is it then?

So what? Just call it house.

It doesn't really matter you either like the track or not regardless of supposed genre.