With temperatures set to reach record temperatures, see below advice from Workplace Wellbeing and the University regarding coping with heat wave conditions:
- Buildings should be kept cool. Closing blinds and opening windows will help
- People should stay indoors as much as possible between the peak sun hours of 11.00 to 15.00
- People should drink water regularly, even when not thirsty and avoid tea, coffee or alcohol
- Physically exacting work or exercise should be avoided where possible between 11.00 and 15.00. This may mean that those who work outside e.g. Grounds Staff should be deployed on other duties.
- Smoking and certain ‘hot works’ should not be allowed in areas where there may be a higher risk of fire
The NHS website and HSE website also provide useful information on coping with the heat.