NEW DELHI: Once the process of filing Income Tax
Return (ITR) is completed, taxpayers must keep a track of the refund process. If the tax department finds any discrepancies in the ITR filing, it will reject the ITR and in these cases return filing needs to be done again. If the return filed by an individual stands correct, only then the I-T department will initiate the refund process.
An intimation is usually sent to the taxpayers, who are registered with the I-T portal (www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in), via an SMS or an email. It reflects the refund amount which will be credited into your account along with a 'refund sequence number'.
You can check your refund status on two portals: First, on the I-T department's e-filing portal
* Open the e-filing portal
* Enter username (PAN or permanent account number), password, date of birth and captcha code
* Click on 'View Returns/Forms'
* From drop down menu, select 'Income Tax Returns' and relevant assessment year
* Your acknowledgment number will be visible as a hyperlink, click on it
* Once you click on it, a pop-up page will appear showing the timeline of filing of returns such as when your ITR was filed and verified, date of completion of processing, date of issue of refund etc
* Along with that it will also show details like assessment year, status, mode of payment, among other details Second, via TIN NSDL portal
It can be noted that the refund status of your ITR will be available on TIN NSDL portal 10 days after the refund has been sent by the department to your bank. TIN is the Tax Information Network of the I-T department.
* Open the portal (https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/refundstatuslogin.html)
* Enter PAN details
* Select the relevant assessment year
* Enter the captcha code and click on submit. Then, a message on your refund status will be displayed.