- This Web site is a "work in progress," consisting of information on the known distribution of stoneflies (Plecoptera) in the United States. Distribution maps and county checklists were created by extracting information on stonefly distribution from publications listed in References. Users of the Web site should recognize that lack of a confirmed sighting in a given county does not necessarily mean that the species is absent from that county.
Because it is a "work in progress," the Stoneflies of the United States Web site is constantly being updated. Additional families, photos, and species accounts will be added as funds and time permit, and distribution maps of species that are already covered are being updated as new county records are established. Distribution maps are currently limited to states of the conterminous United States. Persons with knowledge of additional publications or information on stonefly distribution are asked to contact one of the project coordinators at the addresses given below.
- Checklists of all species reported in a particular county or region
- Distribution Maps
- United States (Combined Maps)
- Combined maps for stoneflies occurring in the conterminous U.S.
- Great Plains
- Colorado -- Iowa -- Kansas -- Minnesota -- Missouri -- Montana -- Nebraska -- New Mexico -- North Dakota -- Oklahoma -- South Dakota -- Texas -- Wyoming
- East of Great Plains
- Alabama -- Arkansas -- Connecticut -- Delaware -- Florida -- Georgia -- Illinois --
Indiana -- Kentucky -- Louisiana -- Maine -- Maryland -- Massachusetts -- Michigan -- Mississippi -- New Hampshire -- New Jersey -- New York -- North Carolina --
Ohio -- Pennsylvania -- Rhode Island -- South Carolina -- Tennessee -- Vermont -- Virginia -- West Virginia -- Wisconsin
- West of Great Plains
- Arizona -- California -- Idaho -- Nevada -- Oregon -- Utah -- Washington
- Other Stonefly Information
- Links to other stonefly resources on the Internet
- Publications used to compile distribution records and aid in the construction of this resource, as well as those with general information about stoneflies
This resource is based on the following sources: See References.
This resource should be cited as:
Kondratieff, Boris C. and Richard W. Baumann (coordinators). 2000.
Stoneflies of the United States. Jamestown, ND: Northern Prairie
Wildlife Research Center Home Page. http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/
resource/distr/insects/sfly/sflyusa.htm (Version 08DEC2000).
Disclaimer: Maps and checklists presented on this Web site were created by manually coding information in the source publications. Maps were inspected for gross errors, but there is a possibility that some errors remain. Users of the Web site should recognize that lack of a confirmed sighting in a given county does not necessarily mean that the species is absent from that county.
Persons aware of additional publications or information on stonefly distribution are asked to contact:
Dr. Boris C. Kondratieff
C.P. Gillette Museum of Arthropod Diversity
Department of Bioagricultural Sciences and Pest Management
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523
Dr. Richard W. Baumann
Department of Zoology
Brigham Young University
Provo, Utah 84602
Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
Home | Site Map | Biological Resources | Help & Feedback