Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image
Spacer Image 28 November 2001 Spacer Image
Spacer Image Spacer Image
Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image 11th September Spacer Image
Spacer Image
Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image
Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image Spacer Image
Spacer image Spacer image
Spacer image
thinking for our time
Spacer image Spacer image Spacer image Spacer image Spacer image Spacer image Spacer image
Join our netwrok button Line image Index Button Spacer image
Line image Spacer image
Spacer image Search Button Spacer image
Line image Spacer image
Spacer image Main Topics button Other Features button Our Aims button Spacer image Spacer image
Line image Spacer image
Join the network Index

Is terror the new cold war?      
Is terror the new Cold War?

For the articles related to this debate, click here.

Click here for the latest debate, "Which way to justice?".

For an overview of the debate at the end of Monday 17th September, drawing out themes and key contributions, click here.

If you would prefer the openDemocracy team to post a contribution on your behalf please email openDemocracy@openDemocracy.net

113 contributions  

Editor's Choice

"What can I say? I had an epiphany of patriotism. It lasted about 24 hours. "

Lauren Sandler
21 September 2001

"With the US planning military intervention in Afghanistan, does anyone in the community know what the status in international law of the various options would be? "

Steve Crossan
17 September 2001

" �Clash of civilisation� logic blackens those who dissent from the western global order as �enemies from within�, even �traitors�."

Bernard Dreano
18 September 2001

"Terrorists are the sharp tip of a hidden iceberg of political support. Not necessarily for their methods, but for their cause. "

Peter Sain ley Berry
25 September 2001

Contributions ordered by: most recent

We cannot let the shape of our noses, the color of our skin, or the faith we practice, mark us as fundamentally different from anyone else. We cannot commit the same, ignorant discriminations of the past.

Stan Prussin, 16 October 2001
  grey dot

The sincerity of the 'war against terrorism' is belied by the continuing presence in Parliament Square of the statue of the terrorist Winston Churchill.

Robin P Clarke, 03 October 2001
  grey dot

Israel is not going to disappear. Therefore those sitting governments who call for the destruction of Israel MUST be removed.

Pat Mizak, 30 September 2001
  grey dot

What is wrong in this world ? Something is wrong...there is no doubt !Is everybody driving crazy or, really, is this the way we all want to ?

Carlos de Miguel, 27 September 2001
  grey dot
Terrorists are the sharp tip of a hidden iceberg of political support. Not necessarily for their methods, but for their cause.

Peter Sain ley Berry, 25 September 2001
  grey dot

Are we too mixed-up in today's complicated world for the apocalyptic WW 111 scenario to unfold?

Ann Pettitt, 25 September 2001
  grey dot
How to Respond? Not Vengeance, but Self-Critical Evaluation.

Chris Binns, 24 September 2001
  grey dot

Thank you, England. Just in case you've never heard the words spoken from an upstart American - ‘Long Live The Queen.’

Guy Malone, 24 September 2001
  grey dot
As I write I�m sitting in a seminar with Russian and Estonian politicians and scholars of civil society, so please note that what follows is a spontaneous REACTION

Henrik Stenius, 21 September 2001
  grey dot
Officially, Norway sticks to NATO decisions as much as other member states. But in practice, the debates over how to interpret the catastrophe and what to do are intense.

Jostein Gripsrud, 21 September 2001
  grey dot

The perpetrators must and will, I'm sure, be found. But we also need to be active in ensuring that no more innocent Brits and Americans are victimised.

Sukhvinder Kaur Stubbs, 21 September 2001
  grey dot

A peaceful response seems as likely as the Afghan women taking over the running of their country.

Clarissa Brown, 21 September 2001
  grey dot

I wish the international community had realized the timely condemnation of all terrorism...

Alper F. Genc, 21 September 2001
  grey dot
What can I say? I had an epiphany of patriotism. It lasted about 24 hours.

Lauren Sandler, 21 September 2001
  grey dot

Let Intelligence prevail

Ted Waller, 20 September 2001
  grey dot
If those Towers could collapse, why not the categories where we try to make sense of politics?

Jay Rosen, 20 September 2001
  grey dot

Globalisation goes back a long way. This informed and eye-opening article about Afghanistan talks about the relationship between Britain, India, Pakistan & the Taliban.

Steve Crossan, 20 September 2001
  grey dot
The idea that terrorism could become a new Cold War is maybe not so absurd - if you remember what the old Cold War was about, then place the accent on the 'new.'

Brian Holmes, 20 September 2001
  grey dot

the american people and his government really want a war. But terrorism is not about what you want

guillermo tejeda, 19 September 2001
  grey dot

Until we are familiarised with other cultures, we will never care enough about the real causes of this conflict.

Paul Evans, 19 September 2001
  grey dot

It might take a couple of centuries but there is a way forward

Terry Nicholls, 19 September 2001
  grey dot
�Clash of civilisation� logic blackens those who dissent from the western global order as �enemies from within�, even �traitors�.

Bernard Dreano, 18 September 2001
  grey dot

Every single one of us are heroes when we need to be, from the Fireman and Police to the grandmothers handing out bottled water.

A friend of Laura Sandys, 18 September 2001
  grey dot
One hopes that all the voices of those seeking a more thoughtful, productive response to the situation will somehow influence the decision- makers.

Veena Vasista, 18 September 2001
  grey dot
Terrorists will win if the government responds by restricting our civil liberties.

Saul Landau, 18 September 2001
  grey dot

Politicians do not try to build a positive vision of the world but only a picture of less democratic rules, which is detrimental to our survival.

Krzysztof Kamieniecki, 18 September 2001
  grey dot

We have been sleepwalking, doped up on the Prozac of best intentions and endless optimism and now our sleep has been disturbed by an awful reality.

Paul Cunningham, 18 September 2001
  grey dot

Things in my experience are often very different from what they seem. Consider...

Robin P Clarke, 18 September 2001
  grey dot

A new human and civilization paradigm is urged if humanity wants to survive and re-humanize itself.

Marcos Arruda, 17 September 2001
  grey dot
A view from Afghanistan

Tamim Ansary, 17 September 2001
  grey dot

Cuba's offer of support in whatever we can help reflects a clear hope that we might cooperate on this issue beyond our differences.

Carlos Alzugaray Treto, 17 September 2001
  grey dot

The political establishment's response in a greater tragedy than the bombing itself.

John Williams, 17 September 2001
  grey dot

The volcanoes which erupted in New York and Washington on September 11th began in The War of the Flea.

Nicholas Gillett, 17 September 2001
  grey dot

The international court of justice can rule on these things, but only the UN can ask them.

Steve Crossan, 17 September 2001
  grey dot

Where are we heading? And reply to Steven Howe from a Nasty coming out of the woodwork

Robin P Clarke, 17 September 2001
  grey dot

Global responsibility is a more secure path into the 21st century than the star wars, isolationist, god-fearing,cowboy trail of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Lesley Bennett, 17 September 2001
  grey dot
With the US planning military intervention in Afghanistan, does anyone in the community know what the status in international law of the various options would be?

Steve Crossan, 17 September 2001
  grey dot

The horror of the aftermath of the horror is the prospect of more and worse.

Tony Curzon Price, 17 September 2001
  grey dot

In the best case the historical parallel will be seen not as Pearl Harbour or Cuba, but the recognition of the need for a new Bretton Woods

Anne Corbett, 17 September 2001
  grey dot
Remembering the deliberately forgotten victims of US military and CIA actions around the world would have meant standing in silence for 70 hours, rather than 3 minutes.

Simon Johnson, 17 September 2001
  grey dot
The US people want vengeance, justice and peace. For these, they must have patience and restraint.

Richard Brooks, 16 September 2001
  grey dot

Since the end of the Cold War, the USA has acted as a 'rogue superpower'

Madawc Williams, 16 September 2001
  grey dot
The country wants blood. Convinced of the conclusion we must reach, our investigators will supply our leaders with the facts they require.

Jeff Kahn, 15 September 2001
  grey dot
Clinton's former boy wonder popped up to explain that in situations like this governments need someone to demonize, and predicted they'd find one, fast!

Danny Schechter, 15 September 2001
  grey dot

Racism sleeps lightly

Susie Symes, 15 September 2001
  grey dot
I am glad I am not a politician. There is no right answer, and much to fear.

Rupert Isaacson, 15 September 2001
  grey dot
Security at West Point is as tight as I have seen it in the 21 years I have lived here.

Col. Ray Winkel, 15 September 2001
  grey dot

The common people, unlike Bush and Blair, lack hardened bunkers to retreat into while proclaiming their devotion to the homeland and its putative values.

Michael McCarthy, 15 September 2001
  grey dot

This is war - not against one man in Afghanistan but against terrrorism and tyranny

Timothy Davies, 15 September 2001
  grey dot
The Penalty of Hate

Isabelle ChevrierJargowsy, 15 September 2001
  grey dot
This war could last for decades waged on territory we do not control and cannot occupy. Not land and buildings, but in hearts and minds.

Ian Brealey, 15 September 2001
  grey dot

Terrorists are not fuelled by courage. Terrorists are fanatics...

Georgina Blair, 15 September 2001
  grey dot
Despite the grief, America is not the good guy it would have us believe, and it had this coming...

Ian Stock, 14 September 2001
  grey dot
I was writing at my desk on Tuesday morning when I heard this massive jet flying right over my head. Then a BOOM, then screaming and screaming.

Jonathan Burston, 14 September 2001
  grey dot
The people behind the attack are not only challenging the US�s economic, political and military might, but also its cultural dominance

Parimal Desai, 14 September 2001
  grey dot

A truly �Civilised world�?

Tom Pravda, 14 September 2001
  grey dot
My friend said, �we�ll see if they sue us later, but we are not going to help people make money in the immediate aftermath of such a huge loss of life.�

US fund manager in London, 14 September 2001
  grey dot

Blair has once again failed to rise to serious moral and political challenge.

Colin Tudge and Ruth West, 14 September 2001
  grey dot
If the politicians mean what they are saying, we can expect a strong drive for surveillance and restriction, accompanied by a wave of racism.

Eric D. Gordy, 14 September 2001
  grey dot

I keep thinking of Yeats: things fall apart, the centre cannot hold...

Kath McMullen, 14 September 2001
  grey dot

We should create a rule of law system to which all countries subscribe and which obliges all to cooperate.

Jeremy Pope, 14 September 2001
  grey dot
Irresistible demands for ‘action’ may oblige the current US administration to exacerbate the weaknesses of their foreign policy.

Paul Evans, 14 September 2001
  grey dot

We're all guilty of hypocrisy when it comes to violence

Ella Smith, 14 September 2001
  grey dot
It's ironic that this feeling of hate and blood-lust that many now experience is the same irrational emotion that drove a group of extremists to commit mass murder on Sept. 11th

Scott Harris, 14 September 2001
  grey dot

Tell George to take a deep breath, it will be hard, but better for all nations including his and ours.

Paul Barrow, 14 September 2001
  grey dot

We hope and pray that this disaster does not lead to more violence and horror and our thoughts are with victims wherever they are.

Christopher Morgan, 14 September 2001
  grey dot

Responding to Todd Gitlin, all beliefs in religions and an after-life encourage each other and so also encourage suicide attacks

Dane Clouston, 14 September 2001
  grey dot

the perpetrators did not commit this action in order to cause maximum human suffering but to bring about a shift in the global mind-set.

Richard Dollamore, 14 September 2001
  grey dot

The effect of the media's coverage has been to cultivate over time, and now to efficiently bring to fruition widespread attitudes of irrational jingoism.

Kevin Barrett, 14 September 2001
  grey dot
America feels that it has a unique destiny. That may or may not be true, but the defining moment of its possibility may have arrived.

stephen tominey, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

We're shaken, dazed, depressed. What went down was not only buildings and people, but also the sense of our own invulnerability.

Scarlett Freund, 13 September 2001
  grey dot
I am busy trying to keep my pupils minds open -hearts open � feet on the ground - as well as deal with the fact that some of them still don�t know where their parents are..

Chloe Graef, 13 September 2001
  grey dot
I have been thinking about violence, what it feels like to be nothing to someone else.

Eve Ensler, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

We have four relatives who worked at the World Trade Centre. One is still missing.

David Divine, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

The dignity of New Yorkers under this indescribable pain has been a triumph of humanity over adversity.

Tom Burke, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

We are all here stunned and immensely saddened by Tuesday's events - and everyone is anxious to help in any way they can.

Gloria Craig, 13 September 2001
  grey dot
Please let us work together to stop these acts

Rabbi Arthur Waskow, 13 September 2001
  grey dot
Why is it that nobody mentions that the CIA taught Bin Laden the finer art of terrorism ?

Steven Everts, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

Unfortunately, politicians are still saying its a blow against democracy and freedom - I doubt whether the perpetrators see it as such.

Gillian Hilton, 13 September 2001
  grey dot
The horrible experience in contemporary New York is only a small episode compared with the experience of Beograd and its residents

Jiri Soler, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

It means so much to us to know that people are checking on our welfare and expressing their concern.

Jack Lusk, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

I fear that the American(and British) people, given a choice between giving up their cars and air-conditioning or bombing the hell out of Iraq, might make the less prudent choice.

Sheila Hayman, 13 September 2001
  grey dot
My brother was in the South Tower of the WTC on the 80th floor.

Paul Cunningham, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

The nasties are starting to come out of the woodwork.

Stephen Howe, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

Global politics means each country having one vote in world institutions.

Derek Wyatt, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

What happened to the black boxes?

Derek Miller, 13 September 2001
  grey dot
The predicament of 2M Afghani refugees in Iran and Pakistan, and the support lent by Kabul to Mr. bin Laden, were apparently not enough to open up the world's eyes.

Maurizio Giuliano, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

Perhaps the terrorist got their ideas from US films and books - it was after all like watching a disaster movie

Nigel Hancock, 13 September 2001
  grey dot
I offer my deepest sympathies to the millions of victims of many of those who worked in the World Greed Center.

Robin P Clarke, 13 September 2001
  grey dot
I think our leaders may be miscalculating how the public could eventually react to the long-term prospects for this “war.”

Chris Oakes, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

They would seek to replace our freedoms with a world in which there is not freedom of expression, or of religion, and where women are denied many freedoms.

Philip O_Dwyer, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

The bombing of Pearl Harbour pales into psychological insignificance compared to the mainland bombings with all their charged symbolism for the collective American psyche.

John Williams, 13 September 2001
  grey dot
Can this fledgling community go beyond talk and come up with a positive programme?

Steve Crossan, 13 September 2001
  grey dot

Extreme rhetoric has local implications

Deborah Root, 13 September 2001
  grey dot
What is new about this atrocity is its audacity, scale and its gruesome sense of theatre.

Toby Mundy, 12 September 2001
  grey dot
Terrorism is the product of injustice.

David Grant, 12 September 2001
  grey dot

I believe it is the job of the average world citizenry to listen and learn and not condemn. We must bring all divergent views into the global discussions.

Eric Dierker, 12 September 2001
  grey dot
The biographer of Guy Debord sees the other side of the spectacle...

Andrew Hussey, 12 September 2001
  grey dot
I have spent seven years negotiating peace between Israel and its neighbors... The last months are challenging my basic beliefs, confusing me.

Christal Mordechay, 12 September 2001
  grey dot

The danger of the Arab world as being presented as the 'other ' to 'Western civilisation'.

Hilary Fawcett, 12 September 2001
  grey dot

Next 100 Items