Here they are, all
my favorite windows shortcuts! If you have a suggestion for a shortcut
that's not listed here, send it to: email@example.com.
Also, check out our newsletters below, especially the Computer Tips
& Techniques one to get tips likes these in your e-mail every
to the shortcuts :-)
Windows key has this picture on it:
It's located between
your CTL & ALT keys.
Here are some common
windows keyboard shortcuts (you'll need a "windows" keyboard to try
Hold down the "windows"
key and press:
- Minimizes all windows
- M - Undo minimize all windows
- Opens Windows Explorer
- Switches between minimizing all open programs and showing them all.
- Opens the Find Window
- Opens the Run Window
/ PAUSE- Opens System Properties
- Cycles through items on the task bar
Or just press the
Windows key to open the Start menu.
F4 - Quit a program / Shut down
- Hold down the ALT key and hit tab to cycle through open windows.
- Display the Start menu
- TAB - tab backwards through a form
- X - Cut
- C - Copy
- V - Paste
- Help menu
- Z - Undo
& Restart - To restart just windows and not your whole
computer, hold down the shift key when you click the OK button on the
shutdown screen. Saves lots of time.
- Navigate tabs on a tabbed screen
& Desktop Shortcuts
SHIFT while inserting a CD - Prevents the CD from "autorunning"
an item is selected:
while dragging a file - Copies the file
- SHIFT while dragging a file - Creates a shortcut to the
- DELETE - Deletes an item without sending it to the recycle
- Display a file's properties.
- To rename the file
ARROW - Collapse the current selection if it is expanded
LOCK-MINUS SIGN (-) - Collapse the selected folder
ARROW - Expand the current selection if it is collapsed -Or-
Select the first subfolder
LOCK- * Expand all folders below the current selection
LOCK- PLUS SIGN (+) - Expand the selected folder
- Switch between left and right panes
- View the folder one level up
RIGHT ARROW - Move forward to a previous view
LEFT ARROW -Move backward to a previous view
or more of our free newsletters! To subscribe, just put a check next
to the newsletter(s) you would like to receive and fill in your e-mail
address. Click the Subscribe button and your done!
All the newsletters
below are 100% free. Your e-mail
address will not be given out to anyone, it's only used to send you
the newsletters you select, nothing else.