New 2002 GLOBE Teacher's Guide
What's New In the Atmosphere and GPS Chapters?
- Grey Boxes: Key Concepts and Skills have been replaced with Science Concepts and Scientific Inquiry Abilities, respectively, and are listed under Student Outcomes. This has been done in an effort to help teachers align GLOBE protocols and learning activities with Education Standards. A table in the Introduction to the Atmosphere Chapter has been provided for this same purpose.
- Protocols: Aerosol, Ozone, Relative Humidity, and Optional Barometric Pressure Protocols have been added to the Atmosphere Chapter.
- Protocol Introductions: The Introduction sections in each of the protocols have been written and formatted to make it easier for teachers to copy and hand out to their students, if grade appropriate.
- Field Guides: The new Atmosphere and GPS Chapters Field Guides are designed to be copied and distributed to students. These Guides provide step-by-step instructions for the students to refer to while taking their GLOBE measurements in the field.
- Looking at the Data: The inclusion of a new Looking at the Data section in each of the Atmosphere Protocols is aimed at encouraging the use of GLOBE data in student research projects. These sections help teachers and students to evaluate if their data are reasonable and to understand what scientists look for in the data. Looking at the Data sections provide a least one example of a student research investigation using the individual protocols to help guide teachers and students in their own projects.
- Learning Activities: New Learning Activities have been added to the Atmosphere Chapter in support of the new Protocols.
The 2002 Teachers Guide is an intermediate step between the 1997 Guide and the upcoming, completely revised, 2003 Teachers Guide. The 2003 Guide will incorporate the changes made to the Atmosphere and GPS Chapters into the other Investigations as well as the addition of new, exciting GLOBE Protocols. GLOBE invites your feedback on these changes so that we may provide you with the best possible Guide in 2003. Please send your comments on the 2002 GLOBE Teachers Guide to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See also other online versions of the GLOBE Teacher's Guide
This online Teacher's Guide is based on the hardcopy "GLOBE Program Teacher's Guide 1997" except for the noted changes above. Some corrections and adaptations for the 1997 online version have been made. PDF files for the 1997 pages are available for reference by clicking on the "PDF Page" icon on each page. A list of specific changes from the original hardcopy is also available.