March 1, 2000
The National Executive Board of Affirmation: Gay & Lesbian Mormons supports the No on Knight Campaign (Proposition 22 on the California State Ballot) for the following reasons:
- We believe that gay and lesbian people are full and complete persons in the eyes of God and that religion should therefore not be used to attack their inherent value and dignity.
- We believe that same sex couples in committed relationships should enjoy all of the civil rights and responsibilities that their heterosexual counterparts already enjoy.
- We are dismayed by the campaign of misinformation and intolerance promoted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) in favor of this initiative, including, but not limited to, its repeated statements from the pulpit encouraging its members to donate time and money to the Yes Committee. Regardless of whether these activities are consistent with its tax-exempt status, we believe the church’s activities in support of this divisive proposition are contrary to its stated mission of bringing families together.
- California already has language in its statutes defining marriage that makes Proposition 22 redundant and unnecessary.
- We believe Proposition 22 is the product of homophobia and intolerance and by extension will be a bad law and should be defeated for this reason alone.
Therefore, the Executive Committee of Affirmation: Gay and Lesbian Mormons urges all people who read this statement to vote no on California State Proposition 22 (the Knight Initiative) and to encourage their friends and families to do likewise.
For the Affirmation National Executive Committee
James Kent, Executive Director
Michael Miner, Senior Assistant Director
Jay Bell, Assistant Director
Affirmation: Gay and Lesbian Mormons, is a nonprofit educational fellowship group serving gay and lesbian Latter-day Saints, their families and friends since 1977. It is a place for open, honest dialogue, friendship and support. All are welcome, regardless of gender, orientation or religious affiliation. Affirmation may be contacted by mail at P. O. Box 46022, Los Angeles CA, 90046-0022, by phone at (323) 255-7251, or through the Internet at http://www.affirmation.org.
S U M M A R Y|
Proposition 22 is the product of homophobia and intolerance