Hunters Realm Forums Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Find other members Search Home  
Hunters Realm Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Hunters Realm Forums > General Discussion > Walkie-Talkie > Sunstorm Closing
Pages (17): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TomShif
Texan

Sunstorm Closing

Hey guys, I just wanted to let everyone know the truth of this matter before rumors spread. This is a very hard post for me to write, so please bear with me.

Today (Feb 3, 2003), Sunstorm laid off its entire staff of programmers, artists and level designers. We have retained a skeleton crew of people to assist in the cleanup and shutdown process.

Sunstorm Interactive had some of the most talented and commited employees of any game company in the world. I could go down the list, from top to bottom, and brag on every single person who worked here...tell of great things they've done, of nights worked late and projects where they went above and beyond the call of duty. Every one of them are top-notch in their job and more importantly they are really, really good people.

Unfortunately, the game industry has changed alot in the past few years. The value category that Sunstorm helped to define has seen a decrease in sales but an increase in the expectations of the game (thus raising development costs). Its very hard for a big American company paying high salaries and high rent to compete with companies from Europe or South America, or even other, smaller companies in the US.

I really hate to see this happen and I feel a huge personal loss, not just because I'm an employee of Sunstorm but because I was a fan of their (our) games before I came here.

With regards to our current batch of hunting games...

-- the Deer Hunter patch is still coming. It should be done in the coming days and will be sent to Infogrames to release.

-- We will be making sure that enough of our original resources are available to the public to help the modding community create new content and I'm sure some of us will be around to help you guys with that in our spare time.

-- I really don't know who will be doing the next Deer Hunter title, but I'm sure its in good hands. My hope is that it retains its former glory and that the next version will rock everyone's world.

As for me personally, I don't know what I'll be doing. I will be working as part of the clean up crew here at Sunstorm for the next few weeks(months?). After that, who knows. I'd love to get back to Texas, but I do have a house here and my wife has made that house my home. I don't know what I'll do or where I'll be. But I wish everyone here the best and thank you for the fun and the memories.

Tj

Tom Shiflet
General Manager
Sunstorm Interactive

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:19 PM
TomShif is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TomShif Find more posts by TomShif Add TomShif to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fontainne
King Killer of Maps

I just wanted to add, that regardless of my unemployement and future employement else where I will still be providing as much help and new content here at huntersrealm as frequently as I can.

first comes finding a new home for my creative works though.

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:22 PM
Fontainne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fontainne Click here to Send Fontainne a Private Message Visit Fontainne's homepage! Find more posts by Fontainne Add Fontainne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike_Winters
The Great White Hunter

Unhappy NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

sunstrom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master Sergent of REALMS REBELS
.....We demand the right to negocate with the evil one and we want our fair share of Coon chili and Rare deer free weapons and fame as well as a Rare deer for everybody and we won't stop until our demands are met.

>>>>The Few, The Proud, The Realm's Rebels<<<<

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:23 PM
Mike_Winters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike_Winters Click here to Send Mike_Winters a Private Message Find more posts by Mike_Winters Add Mike_Winters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PheasantSlayer
Banned

That stinks Tom...Man this is too sad.

I just want to let you guy's know I appreciated your guys' work and the amount of hours you've put into these great hunting sims...lest we never forget...

Remember, your unique, just like everyone else.

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:24 PM
PheasantSlayer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PheasantSlayer Click here to Send PheasantSlayer a Private Message Find more posts by PheasantSlayer Add PheasantSlayer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reptile
Heavy Rocker

why are you guys giving up

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:24 PM
Reptile is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reptile Click here to Send Reptile a Private Message Find more posts by Reptile Add Reptile to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lang
Realm's Own Chatterbox

thats really sad news to hear i loved your guys games the most out of any games ive ever played

Albinos:1
Demons:2
Piebalds:2
Mellanistics:1

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:26 PM
Lang is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lang Click here to Send Lang a Private Message Visit Lang's homepage! Find more posts by Lang Add Lang to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PheasantSlayer
Banned

Man this sucks

Remember, your unique, just like everyone else.

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:27 PM
PheasantSlayer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PheasantSlayer Click here to Send PheasantSlayer a Private Message Find more posts by PheasantSlayer Add PheasantSlayer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bubba#24
Realm's Own Chatterbox

This is by far the saddest news ive heard in a very long time. If SLS does take on making these games then i hope they do it right and have it retain its glory but its gonna have to be a lot for me cuz im gonna be playing dh4, dh5 and dh2k3 more than ever now. I hope you guys can find new jobs and im sure you will cuz yall are the greatest group of artists, programmers and designers ive ever seen. Its been a great time getting to know you all.

IM GONNA MISS SUNSTORM!!!!

Last edited by Bubba#24 on 02-03-2003 at 11:30 PM

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:27 PM
Bubba#24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bubba#24 Click here to Send Bubba#24 a Private Message Find more posts by Bubba#24 Add Bubba#24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Parrothead
Hunters Realm Member

And so ends an era. I too feel a great loss as I read this. I look at the many Sunstorm games here on my desk beside me, and I remember how excited I was each time I opened the box for the latest hunting title. I look at this stack of CD's, at the history of the hunting game genre itself, and feel a deep sadess for what has been lost.

Other companies have made hunting games, but none of them had the heart that the Sunstorm games had. Oh sure, the occasional game may have had better graphics from time to time, but I never felt that they tried to capture the heart of the hunting experience. And it's the Sunstorm games that I always go back to when I sit down to play.

Y'all did a great job, and I've been proud to have been even a small part of this community that is here because of Sunstorm.

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:32 PM
Parrothead is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Parrothead Click here to Send Parrothead a Private Message Visit Parrothead's homepage! Find more posts by Parrothead Add Parrothead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BucksLoveLead
No longer here.

wow.

Guys. I really really appreciate yall and your work. I just hope that you will still visit us at the realm? and thank you for the glorius years that you have given us. it all started with Deer Hunter 1. and that was a hit. and you know from there. truly, this news has brought me to tears. I am a kid sure, but i rarely go into tears. Im bout ready to ball. again, thank you for all your work and the past years. good luck and may we meet down the road. good luck guys!

Member since 1/22/02

Proud member of the Crackshots, One of, if not the greatest DH5 team in History...

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:34 PM
BucksLoveLead is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BucksLoveLead Click here to Send BucksLoveLead a Private Message Find more posts by BucksLoveLead Add BucksLoveLead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bubba#24
Realm's Own Chatterbox

Ditto to every word that Sean just said...looks like its time to get back to WR hunting in good ole DH4 again and of course add to my rare deer and big buck pile in DH5...im gonna miss these games

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:35 PM
Bubba#24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bubba#24 Click here to Send Bubba#24 a Private Message Find more posts by Bubba#24 Add Bubba#24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BucksLoveLead
No longer here.

Parrothead couldnt have hit the nail better...thanks!

Member since 1/22/02

Proud member of the Crackshots, One of, if not the greatest DH5 team in History...

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:35 PM
BucksLoveLead is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BucksLoveLead Click here to Send BucksLoveLead a Private Message Find more posts by BucksLoveLead Add BucksLoveLead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lang
Realm's Own Chatterbox

who ever makes the new dh better do as good of a job as you guys did but i dont think thats possible

ILL MISS YOU GUYS

Albinos:1
Demons:2
Piebalds:2
Mellanistics:1

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:36 PM
Lang is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lang Click here to Send Lang a Private Message Visit Lang's homepage! Find more posts by Lang Add Lang to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sjc628
It's Me

Good luck Guys on on your future indeavors.SS will be truly missed.

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:38 PM
sjc628 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sjc628 Click here to Send sjc628 a Private Message Find more posts by sjc628 Add sjc628 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tex
Texasbreed_1

man, never though SS would ever go down.

Old Post 02-03-2003 11:38 PM
Tex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tex Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Add Tex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote