FatBabies dot Com Forum Index FatBabies dot Com
FatBabies Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have You Been Bammed Recently?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FatBabies dot Com Forum Index -> Industry News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robot Ted
biz dev fatty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Have You Been Bammed Recently? Reply with quote

Bammed
    Red Lemon
    Crawfish
    Virtucraft
    Intelligent Games

To be Bammed
    ViS
    Kuju
    Computer Artworks
    Frontier
    Spiral House

Last edited by Robot Ted on Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Armitage Shanks
exec in charge of production fatty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IG's going bellyup was BAM's doing?
sequal
fat n00bie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Have You Been Bammed Recently? Reply with quote

Robot Ted wrote:
Bammed
    Red Lemon
    Crawfish
    Virtucraft
    Intelligent Games

To be Bammed
    ViS
    Kuju
    Computer Artworks

From what I hear, ViS is definately not gonna get Bammed.
skin_chimney
designer fatty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how definate is Kuju then?
sequal
fat n00bie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skin_chimney wrote:
how definate is Kuju then?

That I dont know. All I heard is that BAM! are trying to sell there London Studio and ViS are interested in buying it.
danack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armitage Shanks wrote:
IG's going bellyup was BAM's doing?

At least partially. They did the same trick they did with Red Lemon of:

1) Head of development Europe ask IG to do a GBA project. As IG was desperate for projects they said yes without a contract being signed, and kid of trusted that the head of the European division of a company couldn't be that evil

2) Agreeing the schedule of milestones and taking delivery of over half of them.

3) All the while doing delaying tactics on signing the contract ( ooh, the lawyers need to check, ooh we need to get the creative directors feedback on the project, ooh we sent you a copy of the changes that need to be made to the contract, didn't you get it ? )

4) Once they realise that because they were only prepared to spend tiny sums of cash for the project, that it's not going to be a triple A product:

5) Deny all knowledge of the project, to the extent of not returning phone calls etc. Despite the project being almost ready for alpha, IG only got paid for the first two milestones initial design, and the first artwork milestone.

IG couldn't really piss them off because they were also developing PowerPuff girls on PC for Bam, but I don't think they've been completely paid for that, and that's what caused the company to close now, rather than February next year.

The real scandal is that both Red Lemon and IG went to TIGA and asked them to put pressure on Bam cos they're fucking people over. Tiga was too concerned that Bam would not give any more projects to it's members and refused to do anything.
fatbooby
marketing fatty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: bam Reply with quote

it's not really fair to blame tiga for the contractual problems between a publisher and developer. at the end of the day if IG were dependent on Bam then they should look at the reasons for that. no developer can easily weather getting stiffed for milestone payments or expected advances, but they can make sure that they have a safety net by trying to deal with at least two clients at any one time
poorpissedoffanbroke
fat n00bie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the development companies left out there would kill for more than one client, thats why they are all going under, there's just not enough work around so they count themselves lucky to have just one contract. Its not just BAM that are screwing people, almost all the publishers are doing the same because they can.....twats
harrybelafonti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Bam Bam Reply with quote

I can name at least another 4 companies to add to the 'Bam'ed' list...
Unfortunately what they did with IG they have done before several times.

Most publishers do expect a bit of work for nothing before the contract is signed (and unofficially to check out if your capable of doing the job) thats generally accepted. However with Bam it is a calculated strategy to either see how a game is coming along before they decide to open their wallets, or, if they are lucky, get the game for fuck all as the poor souls go bankrupt.

Despite being warned about Bam, and attempting to do everything to protect ourselves we have unfortunately been on the receiving end, which resulted in 6 people losing their jobs. Bam are the worst example of a generally unprofessional industry anyway, if Tiga ever want to be taken seriously then they should be getting involved with this, whats the point in having a collective organisation like them if they dont?
Kicker
fat gamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bam Bam Reply with quote

harrybelafonti wrote:
I can name at least another 4 companies to add to the 'Bam'ed' list...

So,......let em 'ave it 'arry.
Armitage Shanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As IG was desperate for projects ..."

Story of IG's life though, innit?

Again, the only reason I regret IG going bust is because I know some people there who are now in the shit, but otherwise they will hardly leave a gaping hole in the industry with their absence.
Clear
producer fatty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral House for one.
sillytuna
fat n00bie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"publisher and developer. at the end of the day if IG were dependent on Bam then they should look at the reasons for that. no developer can easily weather getting stiffed for milestone payments or expected advances, but they can make sure that they have a safety net by trying to deal with at least two clients at any one time"

Because it's that easy... try it yourself!

re: IG and their products

There are many of us small devrs out there perfectly capable of quality products, but frequenly you get little chance (i.e. here is a gba project, use this not very good design, and by the way - you have 8-10 weeks and we won't pay you until alpha). Th
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FatBabies dot Com Forum Index -> Industry News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: