Return to Paranoia Live

Register

Paranoia-Live Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Cybernetics -- threat or menace?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Paranoia-Live Forum Index -> XP Briefing Centre
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allen Varney

Gamma Very High Programmer
Gamma Very High Programmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Cybernetics -- threat or menace? Reply with quote

I have enlisted a gaggle of talented paranoids to help produce a new 64-page PARANOIA equipment book, to be published next spring or thereabouts. This book, formatted as a collection of C-Bay auction site entries (conveniently hacked by the Computer Phreaks), will cover not only R&D gadgets, but also cool/dangerous new weapons, armor, surveillance and spying technology, food and drink, entertainment and media, and delightful gifts sure to gather dust in high-clearance cubicles across Alpha Complex.

One section will cover cybernetic enhancements. I like the first entry that showed up, the "REDfinger digital laser implant," but then immediately had to think about whether such a device would be legal in Alpha Complex. I know, I know, I should have thought of that before proposing the section, now shouldn't I? Call it a Senior Moment.

Of course there is a long anti-cybernetic tradition in PARANOIA, going back to "Destination: CBI Sector," the adventure in first edition (1984). The idea has been that The Computer dislikes cybernetic technology. The new XP rulebook doesn't discuss this idea much, except to make Cybernetics a treasonous Secret skill.

We could easily leave it at that -- any cybernetic stuff is ipso facto treasonous. But I wanted to ask the assembled Paranoia-Live.netters whether this should still hold true. Do you think the setting might be improved by having cybernetic gadgetry on a more-or-less generally available basis? I don't intend to turn this game into Cyberpunk or Shadowrun, but maybe the odd digital laser might not be such a bad thing. What do you think?
Paranoia XP blog: http://www.costik.com/paranoia
Paranoia Lexicon game: http://paranoia.allenvarney.com
greymist08

R&D; Brain Consortium Representative
R&D Brain Consortium Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my answer is that general stuff, arms, legs, basic "Stuff Citizens Will Lose In Life"... should be legal. To the point that 1 Troubleshooter in a Team of 6 should have some sort of cybernetic. (In fact, I've been pouring over the old Cyberpunk and Shadowrun books for just that.) Mounting a basic laser port, (where you still have to screw in a barrel to the outside) would be perfectly legal. Backlogs in Grown Limbs Depts. and such would force "Temporary Replacements" that just might outlast the current user. Who still has to return it....

Just the more exotic things would be illegal. I mean, if a Troubleshooter wants to donate a limb to another Tshooter who lost one, The Computer should reward such generosity, right? If he requests a black pen in the tip of one finger, why deny that? There's always ways to mess with them later.

I, for one, have always walked willingly into a trap to keep the plot moving.
Fieari-U-PNX-1

Troubleshooters Lounge Moderator
Troubleshooters Lounge Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely in favor of keeping it treasonous. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist and isn't readily available. But I like having my clones in Corporate Metal have to EARN their implants. My most recent mission, as a matter of fact, was won by a Corporate Metalist who dealt largly with implants which made him a success. The mystery and secrecy surrounding it all is quite cool, in my opinion, and makes the things appear even more valuble in the eyes of clones.

Hm. Although, now that I think about it, higher level clones might want these enhancements, and might want the convenience of having them openly. Perhaps classify them at a suitibly high clearance level? Again, not something I want my REDs to have, nor ORANGEs since the more skillful of my clones sometimes make it up there. Maybe yellow for the really pathetic stuff, moving upwards from there for better gear.
Biggles

Green
Green

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Keep Implants Treasonous Reply with quote

I prefer the fear from knowing that such things exist, yet not being able to prove that such things exist. If cybernetics were all the rage, then players could simply ask each other, "Do you have any implants? Let me check." It wouldn't be treasonous to have implants, so there would be little incentive to hide them (beyond the normal "knowledge is power" idea). More ambiguity means more fear, and more fear means more fun.

Cybernetics also lends some credibility to Corpore Metal. Would they still be treasonous if they wanted lots of something that's okay? Sounds like a B3 secret society; it's not treason, it's a fan club. I know Corpore is about more than just cybernetics, but you get the idea.

I'd suggest making implants sort of like marijuana use in our society; a lot of people use 'em, but no one admits to using 'em, and authorities always denounce 'em. Open secret sort of thing. Also, they could become a standing R&D project. Who gets the "new and improved" implant after the mission briefing? This would add a fun twist. Implants are treasonous, but not if R&D gives them out.

Try explaining that to Intsec.
greymist08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I recommended "Basic" implants being mostly legal. "Just" an arm. anything more, illegal...
Jazzer

UV Master Programmer
UV Master Programmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybernetic enhancements should follow the original line taken with mutations - if you're grateful for them, somethings wrong. Consider too that most of these items will have been produced by R&D. Need I say more?

On the other hand, particular secret societies will have an interest in cybernetics.

Just limit their availabilty and effectiveness. This isn't cyberpunk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Biggles

Green
Green

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a way that might limit their effectiveness, use, etc.

If I remember correctly, the average RED citizen doesn't have access to laser guns. Troubleshooters get them because they have unique needs due to their unique job description. Why not handle cybernetics the same way?

GMs could dole out cybernetic implants to troublehsooters who are maimed while fighting the Commie Mutant Traitors, as R&D field tests, or other reasons related to being a Troubleshooter. Anyone who's played more than one session of PARANOIA will know that anything "given" to you by the GM is to be feared.

Thus, implants are legal, rare, and absolutely frightening.
greymist08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preciscely!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Paranoia-Live Forum Index -> XP Briefing Centre All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: