Annoyances.org
Home » Windows XP Discussion Forum » Message 1104332485 » Entire Thread Search | Help | Home

'Disk Free Space' not displayed in Windows Explorer UNLESS viewing files under Desktop > My Computer > C:
Showing all messages in thread #1104332485
Windows XP Annoyances Discussion Forum

The following are all of the messages in this thread (5 in all), shown in chronological order. Click any message subject to view that message by itself or to view the thread hierarchy.
'Disk Free Space' not displayed in Windows Explorer UNLESS viewing files under Desktop > My Computer > C:
Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 7:01 am
Posted by aeneas kaolin (1 messages posted)

When you open Windows Explorer and navigate Desktop >My Computer > C: > folders & files, you will always see "Disk Free Space" in the status bar at the bottom of the window. However, if you navigate to My Documents, or Desktop (those that are on the same level in Windows Explorer as My Computer), you will NOT see "Disk Free Space". Rather than navigating Desktop > My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings > username > My Documents just so i can tell how much free space is left on the hard drive, (and now this is my actual question) HOW can i get Windows Explorer to tell me how much free disk space is left when i am navigating via Desktop > My Documents ?

[Reply to this message]

re: 'Disk Free Space' not displayed in Windows Explorer UNLESS viewing files under Desktop > My Computer > C:
Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 8:15 am
Posted by Erik (1672 messages posted)

This is how explorer works. If you are using Explorer it takes 1 (one) click to select C: to see how much free space there is....I don't see why you have to see it on every single screen unless your free space is constantly changing with every click of the mouse.

[Reply to this message]

re: 'Disk Free Space' not displayed in Windows Explorer UNLESS viewing files under Desktop > My Computer > C:
Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 8:16 am
Posted by Pauline (151 messages posted)

You can't.  My Documents is a folder, which is expanded as needed for the contents. 
 It's always 'full' so to speak.

The C drive is the only place where you will see free space

On Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 7:01 am, aeneas kaolin wrote:
>When you open Windows Explorer and navigate Desktop >My Computer > C: > folders &
>files, you will always see "Disk Free Space" in the status bar at the bottom of the
>window. However, if you navigate to My Documents, or Desktop (those that are on
>the same level in Windows Explorer as My Computer), you will NOT see "Disk Free Space".
> Rather than navigating Desktop > My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings > username
>> My Documents just so i can tell how much free space is left on the hard drive,
>(and now this is my actual question) HOW can i get Windows Explorer to tell me how
>much free disk space is left when i am navigating via Desktop > My Documents ?

[Reply to this message]

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 9:02 am
Posted by jaf (2402 messages posted)

Will putting a shortcut to My Computer in your My Documents folder make things easier?

On Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 7:01 am, aeneas kaolin wrote:
>When you open Windows Explorer and navigate Desktop >My Computer > C: > folders &
>files, you will always see "Disk Free Space" in the status bar at the bottom of the
>window. However, if you navigate to My Documents, or Desktop (those that are on
>the same level in Windows Explorer as My Computer), you will NOT see "Disk Free Space".
> Rather than navigating Desktop > My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings > username
>> My Documents just so i can tell how much free space is left on the hard drive,
>(and now this is my actual question) HOW can i get Windows Explorer to tell me how
>much free disk space is left when i am navigating via Desktop > My Documents ?

[Reply to this message]

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 12:16 pm
Posted by Jean Rosenfeld (204 messages posted)

Windows Explorer in classic view shows free disk space in () in the status bar whichever 
folder you open at or under C. So wherever you are exploring the contents of C the 
information is there.
The special folder My documents (really a short cut to the real location on C) that 
is under Desktop in the tree does not show it, nor do the special folders (shortcuts) 
under My Computer, such as Shared documents, 'your user name''s documents, Control 
panel, etc.

On Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 9:02 am, jaf wrote:
>Will putting a shortcut to My Computer in your My Documents folder
>make things easier?
>
>
>

[Reply to this message]

Tip: Use one of the [Reply to this message] links above to add a message to this thread
Return to the Windows XP Discussion Forum

All content at Annoyances.org is Copyright © 1995-2005 Creative Elementtm All rights reserved.
Please do not plagiarize; redistributing these pages without permission is strictly prohibited.