Home
Newsletter
Message Board
Subscribe
Magazine Info
Contact
  Fortean Times Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christmas/New Year earthquakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes & Queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugo Cornwall
Gone Slightly Mad!

PostPosted: 27-12-2004 16:11    Post subject: Christmas/New Year earthquakes Reply with quote

Have there been studies of a correlation between perihelion and earthquakes?

Just from my own meandering memory, I'm certain we seem to get more earthquakes this time of year (Turkey, Albania, Greece, Afghanistan, and now Sumatra) around Xmas and New Year than during the period after the start of summer (aphelion of our orbit).

Could it be a slight increase in the Solar tidal effect as we swing away from the sun around winter solstice?
rynner
What a Cad!

PostPosted: 27-12-2004 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps. The Earth is nearer the sun at this time of year. (The fact that's it's the northern winter is to do with the tilt of the Earth's axis, not the distance from the sun.)

It was also full moon last night, giving increased tidal stesses.
lopaka
Tawdry Yank Cliche

PostPosted: 27-12-2004 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo: I'd be willing to play with numbers a little (though it's likely to take a little while. I have the raw data but no way to easily sort it). Do you have a specific timeframe (over/under one week from perihelion/aphelion) you were thinking of as parameters for a study? As far as events to use , I'd probably use the USGS standard for 'significant', >6.5 and/or deaths and/or widespread damage. Though obviously that's different than 'earthquakes'.

Thoughts?

--- A post from another MB I visit
Emperor
Divine Wind

PostPosted: 27-12-2004 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been studies correlating volcanic activity with ice core information and it appears that volanic activity rises when the crust is being loaded and unloaded (at the beginning and end of glaciations respectively) - e.g. the Toba mega-eruption happened during the shift into the last Ice Age.

Clearly if we can see this kind of thing in records which are not going to be very finegrained but it does show that shifts in the stresses on the crust can have significant effects.

The wakeful trump of doom. - "The Hymn" Milton.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Roy Batty
Emperor
Divine Wind

PostPosted: 27-12-2004 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick Google - some random informaiton:

There is seasonla variation in Japanese earthquakes possibly related to snow load:
http://www.ep.sci.hokudai.ac.jp/~heki/documents/snowquake.htm

There has been some suggestions that it might correlate to changes in geomagnetism:
http://www.cosis.net/abstracts/EAE03/13108/EAE03-J-13108.pdf

It has been known for a while that filling reservoirs can lead to earthquakes:
http://projecteuclid.org/Dienst/UI/1.0/Summarize/euclid.jap/1085496605

Quote:
Study of Lunar Tidal Oscillation in Ionospheric F- region over Ahmedabad during Gujarat Bhuj Earthquake

B.M. Vyas & R. Pandey

Department of Physics, Sukhadia University, Udaipur 313 001

It is quite evident from the analysis of occurrence of past earthquake data that occurrence of earthquake is more prominent in winter and rare in summer. The past earthquakes are also mainly observed in dark moonday or after the few days of lunar eclipse. The Gujarat Bhuj earthquake is also one of the example which occurred after the two weeks of lunar eclipse. At the same time, lunar tide effect i.e. only gravitational force of the moon on the inner and outer part of the earth’s geophysical phenomenon. Furthermore, the coincidence of lunar eclipse before the earthquake seems to be one of the initial possible sources of triggering process of the earthquake. With this view, the present study is aimed to study the lunar tidal variation in F- region parameters over Ahmedabad (Geo. Lat. 23.01’N, Geo Long. 72.6’E) during winter season of year 1999, 2000 and 2001. Recently, Aframovich et al (2000, 2001) have also reported the ionospheric total electron content’s effect during earth quake using sophisticated and accurate measurement of Total Electron Content using GPS. However, they observed the generation of shock acoustic wave during the earthquake as identification of precursor of earthquake. As Ahmedabad is quite near to center position of earthquake and lunar variation in ionospheric parameters show seasonal trend, therefore the study of lunar daily variation in foF2, hpF2 and hoF2 over Ahmedabad during winter seasons of year 1999,2000 and 2001 are presented in this paper. Residual hourly departures from monthly mean values at each particular solar hour are computed in eliminating the solar effect. These values are arranged in lunar time reckoned from lowest transit, counting 25 solar hours to lunar day. An average variation in lunar time during one lunar month is obtained. After repeating this process and removing a non-cyclic variation, the variation average in lunar time during winter season of year 2001 are compared with same variation during the year 1999 and 2000. These variation gives the evidence of effect of earthquake on lunar tide that during earth quake’ month, the lunar tidal variation do not exhibit the its normal trend i.e luni semidiurnal nature. But, it shows the prominence of lunar diurnal nature from the analysis of winter season of 2001 and strong semidiurnal variation in winter seasons of 1999 and 2000. Further, the amplitude of lunar diurnal component is also found higher i.e 3.5% of its mean value in earthquake period from luni semidiurnal component i.e.2.2% of its mean values during normal winter months. The further and detailed results would be discussed in the paper.

http://home.iitk.ac.in/~ramesh/vyas1.doc

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Roy Batty
rynner
What a Cad!

PostPosted: 27-12-2004 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another Xmas earthquake, which thankfully didn't hurt anyone.

It was in Antartica (sorry to have to bring up penguins again! Very Happy )

Penguins escape huge earthquake
An earthquake on a remote Antarctic archipelago home to 850,000 King Penguins was the strongest on earth in four years, seismologists say.
The quake hit 400km (250 miles) off the Macquarie Islands on Friday, measuring 8.1 on the Richter scale.

Penguins appear to have escaped a major disaster as the quake occurred deep under the sea, far from inhabited land.

There were no tsunamis, or large tidal waves, because the quake moved horizontally rather than vertically.

The tremors were felt in Tasmania, 1000km (600 miles) away, but because the epicentre was 10km underground, few observers noticed the initial quake.

Buildings on the islands shook for 15 seconds, seismologist Cvetan Sinadinovski said.

"If this had happened underneath a population centre it would probably have destroyed a whole city," he said.

The quake was the biggest anywhere on earth since an 8.4-magnitude tremor off the coast of Peru in June 2001. That killed 74 people.

Friday's earthquake was caused by the collision of two of the major tectonic plates which make up the earth's crust layer, the Indo-Australian and the Pacific plates.

The last quake of a similar magnitude in the Macquarie region was in 1924, Mr Sinadinovski said.

Despite its size, 22 staff of the Australian Antarctic Division slept through the tremors.

"Nobody felt anything," a spokesman said.

10 BIGGEST QUAKES SINCE 1900
Chile, 1960: 9.5
Alaska, 1964: 9.2
Alaska, 1957: 9.1
Kamchatka, 1952: 9.0
Near Ecuador, 1906: 8.8
Alaska, 1965: 8.7
Tibet, 1950: 8.6
Kamchatka, 1923: 8.5
Indonesia, 1938: 8.5
Kuril Islands, 1963: 8.5
Source: US Geological Survey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4123927.stm
Emperor
Divine Wind

PostPosted: 27-12-2004 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an earlier quake in Tasmania which some siesmologists think may have contributed/presaged the main one:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=478531#478531

which is interesting as there were a number of mystery whale and dolphin beachings in Tasmania at the end of November:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=469685#469685

A link?

Hugo Cornwall
Gone Slightly Mad!

PostPosted: 27-12-2004 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely from gut feeling, period of up to three weeks after solstice.

I'm not sure that the physics is holds water but wouldn't the stresses be higher moving out of the gravity well as we decelerate away from the sun?

As a complete side bar, why does the illumination of the face of the moon affect tides? The moon is always there as a gravitic centre... something I've never seen properly explained.
Emperor
Divine Wind

PostPosted: 27-12-2004 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo Cornwall wrote:
As a complete side bar, why does the illumination of the face of the moon affect tides? The moon is always there as a gravitic centre... something I've never seen properly explained.

At full moon the moon is on the opposite side to the sun and so the gravity will be more venly spread. When it is a new moon the moon and sun line up concerntrating the pull on one side of the planet. See the graphic here:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moonphase/

There is the "Syzygy Theory" of the connection of the moon'sphases to earthquakes:

http://www.simplecodeworks.com/quakes/Quakes.htm

See also:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen99/gen99048.htm

Goldstein
Older than the Dark Lord

PostPosted: 30-12-2004 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noted yet that it was a year to the day since the last big earthquake, in Bam, Iran? Shocked

That one wasn't anywhere near as big on the Richter scale, and didn't kill (m)any tourists, but the death toll was, IIRC, comparable to this one simply because the epicentre was in a city...

Surely there's material for some very scary theories there...

Something a friend of mine said: perhaps this was the revenge of the Little People for their grave discovery/desecration... Shocked
lopaka
Tawdry Yank Cliche

PostPosted: 30-12-2004 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a site that's been trying to use a list (a very selective one, I hasten to add) about recent Asian/Pacific earthquakes on the 26th of the month, not just December. It's all nonsense, but it's been making the rounds...

Quote:

Tuesday, December 28, 2004
Dangerous 26!

Just amazing to note that many of the earthquakes that appeared all over the world in the recent past were all on the date 26.

Year Month and Date Place of Earthquake

2001 January 26 Gujarat
2001 September 26 Chennai
2002 December 26 China
2003 January 26 Newzealand
2003 May 26 Japan / Taiwan
2003 September 26 Japan(Hokaido)
2003 October 26 China (Sunsu)
2003 December 26 Iran
2004 December 26 South east Asia

http://vallabhi.blogspot.com/2004/12/dangerous-26.html

lopaka
Tawdry Yank Cliche

PostPosted: 10-01-2005 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

While searching the MB on an unrelated topic I came across this that Emps posted last year * Nice day for an eruption *, with the part that caught my eye being:

Quote:

Research published last week in the Journal of Geophysical Research is the latest to suggest this can and does happen. Ben Mason, David Pyle and colleagues at Cambridge University examined the timings of more than 3,000 eruptions that occurred across the globe between 1700 and 1999. Their surprising findings reveal that the timing of volcanic activity is not random, but clustered, with more eruptions happening between November and March.

Now I realize that earthquakes can and do happen independently of volcano eruptions (though volcano eruptions are almost always accompanied by quakes), but I wonder if this might be relevant? I'd alo be curious as to whether they broke down the data any more tightly, with say a peak of Dec/Jan within the larger cluster?

I still haven't set aside the time to try to do the number-crunching I mentioned earlier in this thread, sorry.

Emperor
Divine Wind

PostPosted: 10-01-2005 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

lopaka: I think it would be safe to assume that similar crustal stresses work on both volcanoes an earthquakes - we just have a better understanding of the timedepth of volcanic eruptions from ice cores.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes & Queries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: