The world's dominant Open-Class sport
motorcycle receives extensive refinements to boost power, reduce weight, improve handling
precision, and increase durability.
NEW FOR 1998
- Ultra-compact 919cc DOHC liquid-cooled inline-four engine.
- One-piece upper crankcase/cylinder assembly, right-side
cam-drive design and a narrow, 32degree valve angle help make the CBR90ORR engine the
lightest, most compact powerplant in its class.
- Sixteen-valve cylinder head and a radical, compact
combustion chamber design offers 11.1:1 compression, allows efficient combustion, and
promotes high horsepower production.
- Direct, shim-under-bucket valve actuation system is compact,
ensures high-rpm durability, and allows 16,000-mile valve maintenance intervals.
- 38mm flat-slide CV carburetors combine with short, straight
intake ports and a huge, 7.2-liter airbox for maximum intake efficiency, superb throttle
response and maximum power.
- Spring-loaded scissors-type gear on the drive side of the
crankshaft and a rubber-mounted floating clutch-cover help reduce noise.
- Liquid-cooled oil cooler and a light-weight curved aluminum
radiator keep engine temperatures in check for consistent performance and long engine
- Maintenance-free features include a digital map-type
ignition system and a mechanical, automatic cam-chain tensioner.
- Weight-saving features include a compact and lightweight
one-piece alternator, compact 8-ampere/hour battery, and a magnesium head cover.
- Large-volume aluminum muffler helps increase power and
- Lightweight, tuned frame with triple-box cross section and
light, open-ribbed die-cast swingarm-pivot plates offer excellent torsional and lateral
rigidity for excellent handling and feel.
- 45mm aluminum-slider Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS)
cartridge fork features spring preload and rebound and compression damping adjustability,
and ofters precise action as well as unparalleled rigidity and light weight
- Pro-Linkg rear suspension features a high-quality HMAS
remote-reservoir damper with spring preload, rebound damping and compression damping
adjustabilitv for superior rear wheel control.
- Braking system features huge, full-floating 310mm discs and
four-piston calipers up front, along with a 220mm disc and single-piston caliper in back
for exceptional stopping power.
- Aluminum-alloy super-light U-spoke wheels feature race-spec
3.5-inch front and 5.5-inch rear widths, and carry Bridgestone BT56 radials that offer superb
grip, linear steering characteristics and exceptional compliance.
- HRC-designed fairing offers superb aerodynamics, excellent
wind and weather protection, light weight, and quick-release panel fasteners.
- Durable, sealed #525 0-ring drive chain.
- Rubber upper-rear engine mount minimizes vibration.
- Key-lockable 6-liter rear cowl storage box, designed to hold
most commonly available U-type and cable locking devices (not included), is located under
the passenger seat.
- Specially shaped front fender lowers aerodynamic drag and
reduces lift. Molded indents help draw air up the fork tubes and into the cockpit to
reduce negative pressure on the rider.
- Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
- One-year limited, transferable warranty with no mileage
- Model: CBR90ORR
- Engine Type: 919cc liquid-cooled inline
- Bore and Stroke: 71mmx58mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.1:1
- Valve Train: DOHC- four valves per cylinder
- Carburetion: Four 38mm flat-slide CV
- Ignition: Solid-state digital with 3D
- Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
- Final Drive: 0-ring-sealed #525 chain
- Suspension-Front: HMAS 45mm cartridge fork
with stepless preload, rebound, and compression damping adjustability; 4.7 inches travel- Rear:
HMAS Pro-Link single shock with seven-way spring preload, and stepless rebound and
compression damping adjustability; 4.9 inches travel
- Brakes-Front: Dual full-floating discs with
opposed four-piston calipers; Rear: Single disc
- Tires-Front: 130/70ZR-16 Bridgestone
radial; Rear: 180/55ZR-17 Bridgestone radial
- Wheelbase: 55.1 inches
- Rake (caster angle): 24 degrees
- Trail: 95 mm
- Seat Height: 32.2 inches
- Dry Weight: 396.8 pounds
- Fuel Capacity: 4.8 gallons, including
- Colors: Red/Black, Red, Pearl Yellow
- Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price -
- Availability - December, 1997
California version differs slightly due to emissions
Top Of Page | Honda New Models | Return To Home Page