The Lost World Discussion Board
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Talk About The Lost World Archive.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Lost World Discussion Board » Talk About The Lost World » OT - Good news about Enterprise ratings (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: OT - Good news about Enterprise ratings
CAP
Member # 1198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DNash:
quote:
Originally posted by CAP:
Source (Unknown).

The Enterprise is launched in 2153, the Earth / Romulan War starts in 2156 and ends with the Romulans defeat in 2160 at the hands of the earth fleet.

Actually, the NX-01 first launched in April of 2151. The seasons roughly correspond to the year so it's easier to keep track. (Like the stardates on TNG where the second digit was the season.) So 2156 would theorectically put the war as starting in season six. We'll have to wait and see if they get that far. Or they might do a big calendar leap similar to what they did at the end of S2 with lots o' travelling time back to Earth and then off to the Expanse.

quote:
Originally posted by Moswell:
Coto and J&G; have put together some great episodes. I actually look forward all week to watching the new episodes! What a refreshing change that is. Good job, J&G;! [Smile]

Refreshing is precisely the word for it! We're finally getting what we should have gotten back at the series premier.

~DNash

Thanks DNash for the correction, that is why I didn't list the source, because I had my doubts.

Thanks again!

Posts: 24958 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CAP
Member # 1198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Article about J&g; on the Trek communicator

http://www.trektoday.com/news/031204_01.shtml

Comments about J&G;:

Tell us how the decision was made to bring the Reeves-Stevens writing team on board.

Berman: We have known Gar and Judith for a long time, but we have known them as people who have come in to interview us - people that we have dealt with on a level having nothing to do with the show. They have never really shown an interest in joining the staff before. You are always a little hesitant about newcomers coming on the staff, especially people who come from a part of STAR TREK that is not connected with the television shows. But, boy, has it been a blessing! They are just dynamite. We are kicking ourselves at not having found them years ago. They are absolute cracker-jack writers, both incredibly impressive. The first draft of the very first script they did ["The Forge"] was, in my opinion, the best first draft for a first-time STAR TREK writer that I have ever seen in all my years. We have great hopes for them, and they are working out beautifully.

I am sure it has helped that they have been involved in the STAR TREK universe prior to writing for you?

Berman: That works to their favor, but a lot of people have a knowledge of STAR TREK. What works to their favor most of all is that they are wonderful writers. They know the voices of our characters, and they write crisp, clean dialogue and a good story. They are godsends.

Posts: 24958 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DNash
Member # 1362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DNash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Berman: We are kicking ourselves at not having found them years ago.

I know a lot of people who'd like to get in line to kick Berman, too. Hell, I'd go through that line as many times as possible.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Cheers,
~DNash

Posts: 939 | From: Elsewhere | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FOX 3
Member # 957

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOX 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We are kicking ourselves at not having found them years ago. They are absolute cracker-jack writers, both incredibly impressive. The first draft of the very first script they did ["The Forge"] was, in my opinion, the best first draft for a first-time STAR TREK writer that I have ever seen in all my years. We have great hopes for them, and they are working out beautifully.

Possibly classifies as the biggest "DUH!" moment in the history of television. I stopped watching Trek (of any iteration) when it became [plainly evident] to me that there was nothing but tired blood and retreaded storylines in the pipeline. Finally, after [how many?] years Berman decides to bring in writers who are qualified to write both science fiction and stories within the "Star Trek" universe and claims surprise that their stuff is so good?!

Engage Rant Mode
As someone who grew up with the original series and it's tales written by Theodore Sturgeon, Norman Spinrad, Harlan Ellison and a host of others, I've been dismayed by the anathema Berman has shown for established science fiction writers over the years. That anathema has led to anemic ratings, middling to poor episodes, the same writers winning assignments over and over again (some have made a career of suckling at the teat of "Star Trek" for so long because, quite frankly, they could get work nowhere else)and piss-poor drama (sorry for the language).

Finally, after all this time we get someone who knows, loves and respects "Star Trek" as something more than a multi-billion dollar bake sale for Paramount. 'Bout freakin' time!
Disengage Rant Mode

After seeing the first few episodes of "Star Trek: Enterprise" I think Gene Roddenberry and Gene L. Coon are smiling again, where-ever they might be...

Posts: 3761 | From: Harlington-Straker Studios | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CAP
Member # 1198

Martin...beamed your words up to the 22nd Century.

[Smile]

DNash
Member # 1362

Icon 14 posted      Profile for DNash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent rant, Martin! Couldn't've said it better myself.

We've finally got people who know what they're doing instead of just milking the work others have done and banking on Trekkies to be loyal fans despite being fed a whole lot of crap for several years now. I just hope it's not too late for ENT. I believe Coto and J&G; can salavage the mess, but my faith in getting a fifth season is slim. I'd be sad to lose this show when it is finally becoming something truly worth watching. (Just because I've watched every episode doesn't mean I think it was actually worth the hours taken from my life.)

~DNash

Posts: 939 | From: Elsewhere | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
California gal
Member # 6

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for California gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Martin. Well said. All I know is that I didn't give a fig about watching ENT before now. I thoroughly enjoyed "The Forge" and can only hope that J&G; have set a high standard for other writers on the show, and that the others attempt to attain that standard.
Posts: 13650 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CAP
Member # 1198

quote:
quote:
Berman: We are kicking ourselves at not having found them years ago.

I know a lot of people who'd like to get in line to kick Berman, too. Hell, I'd go through that line as many times as possible.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Cheers,
~DNash

What I noticed after *The Forge* aired was "they are bringing back humor" to the Trek Verse (other words of praise as well)........
FOX 3
Member # 957

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for FOX 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Excellent rant, Martin! Couldn't've said it better myself.

We've finally got people who know what they're doing instead of just milking the work others have done and banking on Trekkies to be loyal fans despite being fed a whole lot of crap for several years now. I just hope it's not too late for ENT. I believe Coto and J&G; can salavage the mess, but my faith in getting a fifth season is slim. I'd be sad to lose this show when it is finally becoming something truly worth watching. (Just because I've watched every episode doesn't mean I think it was actually worth the hours taken from my life.)~DNash

Thank you! [Big Grin]

I haven't been this "jazzed" about "Star Trek" since the newly boxed sets for the first and second season's of the original series hit the market. The price is a bit steep (like most things Trek)but the digital process makes the old episodes shine with stunning color and crisp sound (I swore I could hear the sound of the stage lights pop and sizzle on a couple of episodes).

Posts: 3761 | From: Harlington-Straker Studios | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FOX 3
Member # 957

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for FOX 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by California gal:
Well said, Martin. Well said. All I know is that I didn't give a fig about watching ENT before now. I thoroughly enjoyed "The Forge" and can only hope that J&G; have set a high standard for other writers on the show, and that the others attempt to attain that standard.

Thank you, CG! Unlike most seasons, this one's a good roller coaster ride!
stdwynwen
Member # 1354

Icon 9 posted      Profile for stdwynwen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin well said

I am speaking as a Star Trek fan who alas is lost forever.

I was with them through the original. There's a reason it's a classic.

I was with them through Star Trek: TNG
Which lost it's mojo when Wesley went off to Starfleet Academy IMHO. I can remember how my heart pounded in Season five's 'The First Duty' when Picard heard the words "There's been an accident". Unfortunately after that TNG only seemed to sparkle occasionally. But still I hung on - loyal to the end....or so I thought.

I gladly transitioned over to Star Trek: DS9 along with Chief O'Brien. And thus my crush on Dr. Bashir began. Sadly it was a doomed love affair from the begining. ST: DN9 started strong but lacked emotional connection for me. So I cut the embilical cord after the third season.

I gave Star Trek: Voyager a chance hoping beyond hope it would rekindle something in me.
But it was like seeing your old boyfriend in a new suit and thinking maybe you made a mistake in dumping him. After the first encounter you realize there was a reason you dumped him. Voyager had the same problems DS9 had for me - no umphhhh.

So that's my sad history with Star Trek (is that a violin I hear in the background?).
I'm glad to hear that Star Trek: Enterprise has fans excited about the franchise again. But for me I had to leave that old boyfriend behind for good and explore strange new worlds elsewhere.

Carol
who luckily got shot through a worm hole and discovered Farscape. [Smile]

Posts: 3449 | From: Michigan USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moswell
Member # 243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moswell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, for those of you other than stdwynwen who already answered the question I was going to ask, where did you stop watching? I've been a choppy watcher of the Star Trek franchise - I never really liked TNG, but I'd seen enough episodes of it to know what was going on when they started DS9. I watched DS9 regularly - it's my favorite besides TOS. I thought it was a nice change of focus, and it really picked up in about the 3rd or fourth season. But I always thought that Voyager was really wooden with too many regurgitated stories. Wasn't Berman in charge in that one too?
Posts: 95 | From: Dover, DE USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FOX 3
Member # 957

Member Rated:
quote:
So, for those of you other than stdwynwen who already answered the question I was going to ask, where did you stop watching?

I was never a huge fan of ST:TNG but as the series went along, it did pick up speed and got better (it's 5th year was some of the best televised science fiction I've seen, especially "The Inner Light" which won a Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, in 1993)...

I was a [somewhat] regular watcher of Deep Space 9 but more of a fan of "Babylon 5" (I thought B5 did a much better job of storytelling and they didn't have that insufferable troll of a Ferengi aboard thier station)...

That brings me to Voyager: it wasn't a bad series until they brought 7 of 9 aboard. As gorgeous as Jeri Ryan is, turning the series into a weekly lust fest for the fan-boy contingent by having her strut her stuff in painted on catsuits week after week, got old pretty quickly. The stories were stale, the characters fairly uninteresting (we had a habit of calling Captain Janeway "Captain Chipmunk"--I do a killer impression of her saying "Cha-ko-tay, BTW--or Munchkin, because, when things were starting to go sideways, she sounded like one). I stopped watching about midway through 7 of 9's first year and have never seen an episode since...

CAP
Member # 1198

quote:
Originally posted by Martin:
The stories were stale, the characters fairly uninteresting (we had a habit of calling Captain Janeway "Captain Chipmunk"--I do a killer impression of her saying "Cha-ko-tay, BTW--or Munchkin, because, when things were starting to go sideways, she sounded like one). I stopped watching about midway through 7 of 9's first year and have never seen an episode since...

I hope you can make the convention Martin...killer impression's are very welcome. [Smile]
DNash
Member # 1362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DNash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, for those of you other than stdwynwen who already answered the question I was going to ask, where did you stop watching?

I saw every ep of TOS many times as a kid. It was always a treat to watch the re-runs on Saturday evenings.

I was a faithful TNG fan from episode one. I got bloody sick of Klingons by the end, however.

I really enjoyed DS9, but the Dominion War, while excellent storytelling, burned me out. I can't watch a show that makes me feel like I've been abused week after week. And the Changelings--other than Odo--bored me.

I enjoyed some of VOY, and didn't really mind 7 of 9 in and of herself. Jeri Ryan is an outstanding actress. I minded the reasons she was brought on, and I minded tedious repetition of boring stories. I didn't watch much after season four (?), although I watched all of S7 because Janeway is the best captain since Kirk, IMO.

I've seen every ep of ENT, although some were truly egregious eps. (A Night In Sickbay always leaps readily to mind, but there are many others. Anything with Trip and T'Pol doing Vulcan Neuropressure is also my list of crap. Something designed for a Vulcan's physiology has no practical application for a human. It's as ridiculous as doing human accupressure on a Vulcan. They are completely different species with completely different physiologies. It wouldn't work.) Despite the show's high level of suckage, I've hung in there for whatever reason just hoping something wonderful would finally happen and the quality of the writing would be pulled up from its great depths. With Coto and J&G; there now, it has been and I am very, very pleased.

quote:
Wasn't Berman in charge in that one (Voyager) too?

Yes, which explains why it was fraught with cheap and sleazy heterosexist ploys to up the ratings--rather like ENT up until now. I'm all for some cheesecake and beefcake on a show, but the T&A; should never be a Vulcan. Somehow I didn't mind it being a Borg, though. Perhaps because the Borg came first; using the same ploy, only with a Vulcan, was just another "regurgitated" element. (Excellent word choice, Moswell.)

~DNash

J&G; Reeves-Stevens
Administrator
Member # 757

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for J&G Reeves-Stevens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Couldn't resist peeking at this thread and saying hi.

We're having a great time at Enterprise and we're thrilled at the response our first episode received. And we can truthfully say if you liked the Vulcan Arc, there're are some equally great ones coming up that will also delve into Trek history in unexpected and very satisfying ways.

Our second episode, "Observer Effect," airing in January, is a standalone, but with a really interesting connection to Trek history that, amazingly, no one's leaked yet. We're particularly pleased with how this one turned out because it's getting the same reaction from the actors and crew as "Brothers in Arms" got on TLW. Stand by to see some truly exceptional performances by Anthony Montgomery, Dominic Keating, and Linda Park.

Our third episode, "United," is part of what's being called "The Andorian Arc," but it's a much bigger story than just Andoria (which we finally get to see in part three!). We've written the teleplay for the middle episode of three, which was an interesting challenge because we had to fit it in with the first episode (which had just been completed) and the third (which hadn't been written). Manny Coto -- to whom we should all be lighting candles in thanks -- wrote the stories for all three episodes, and came up with some great scenes and story developments which we had a lot of fun working with. In this one, you're going to see an amazing performance by Jeffrey Combs, Scott Bakula and Jolene Blalock at their best, and what we feel is a moment of Star Trek history that's as noteworthy as the ending of the film, First Contact, when those aliens pulled back their hoods to reveal they were Vulcans.

Right now, we 're revising our fourth episode, "Divergence," which will be the second part of a two-part Klingon arc. Not a lot we can say about this one right now, except we've written a multiple-starship action sequence that's never been seen before, and that everyone's very excited to bring to the screen.

Past that, the entire writing staff has been meeting to work out the final episodes of the season -- note that we said SEASON, not SERIES. The fate of the show has not been decided, so go tell your friends to start watching again!

With all the exciting developments going on in Enterprise this season, it's important for us to remind everyone that Manny Coto is the showrunner who's set the direction for each arc, each episode, and for the entire season. We're very proud of how "The Forge" turned out, but we must share the praise with Manny, who sketched out the arc at the very beginning and guided its development, and with the entire writing staff, each of whom made significant contributions to the story -- Andre Bormanis, Alan Brennert, Ken LaZebnik, and Mike Sussman. And lest anyone think they've been forgotten, some of the notable moments in the episode that people have commented on came directly from Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. It truly is a team effort and we're having a great time being part of it.

On the Lost World front, there's not a lot to report, though we're hoping to catch up with everyone over the holidays.

In the shameless self-promotion department, our long-awaited non-fiction book, Going to Mars is shipping out to bookstores now. We like to think it's the only serious, scholarly book about Mars exploration that includes photos of giant killer robots -- how's that for a combination?

For those so inclined, here's a link to a more detailed description:

http://www.reeves-stevens.com/mars.html

And finally, for those in the Los Angeles area, we'll be guests at Grand Slam XIII in Pasadena, March 11 to 13, 2005. Lots of Enterprise and other sci-fi stars will be in attendance, too. Here's a link to more information:

http://www.creationent.com/cal/stgs.htm

Thanks again for all your support!

We'll be back...

J&G;

Posts: 438 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CMS
Member # 544

Icon 7 posted      Profile for CMS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, J&G;, great to hear from you, all the more since things are going so well for you creatively! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by J&G; Reeves-Stevens:
In the shameless self-promotion department, our long-awaited non-fiction book, Going to Mars is shipping out to bookstores now. We like to think it's the only serious, scholarly book about Mars exploration that includes photos of giant killer robots -- how's that for a combination?

A well-timed hint, I'm just finalizing my Christmas wish list. How could I resist giant killer robots? A must-have! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3973 | From: State of Confusion | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CAP
Member # 1198

Thank you J&G; (and you even brought out the GREAT and the elusive CMS).

All those storylines, coming up.... Exciting Enterprise (never thought I would say those words).

Thanks for beaming on down from the 22nd century and returning to the 20th Century....where Veronica doesn't go moo and Roxton's blood heats up at the sight of Marguerite and Fresh Raptor (ewwwwww). Nice shoulders that WSnow has.... [Smile]

Saint
Member # 1323

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Saint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks J&G; for the information and the news on Enterprise. It's good to know, when it shows over here, I'll be looking forward to your episodes in particular.
Posts: 6714 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica77
Member # 2325

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Veronica77   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks J&G; for your update, good to hear everything is going so well for you. I'm looking forward to seeing your contribution to the show, can't wait.

Veronica [Big Grin]

Posts: 1499 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moswell
Member # 243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moswell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear from you, J&G.; Keep up all the good work, and I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping to hear a little good news on TLW front!

Re: Manny Coto - I was excited when I heard he was taking over on Enterprise because I had enjoyed Odyssey 5 and was rather annoyed with Showtime when they cancelled it without even showing the last episodes. [Frown]

Posts: 95 | From: Dover, DE USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moswell
Member # 243

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Martin:

I was a [somewhat] regular watcher of Deep Space 9 but more of a fan of "Babylon 5" (I thought B5 did a much better job of storytelling and they didn't have that insufferable troll of a Ferengi aboard thier station)...

I was a fan of both - although once I had a crazy B5 fan tell me I wasn't "allowed" to be a fan of both since the idea for DS9 was stolen from B5 and JMS (I have to admit, there are a number of striking similarities and JMS always did have a thing against the Star Trek franchise). You're right about the storytelling, so many of the episodes and arcs in B5 were incredible, but DS9 had its moments too.
Blue
Member # 897

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Blue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news from the elusive and extremely busy J&G.; Thanks for the update, I'm happy things are going so well for you, and Enterprise!

Honey Bear [Smile]

Posts: 7183 | From: Wilhelmshaven, Germany | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prairie gal
Member # 1527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for prairie gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. I've actually begun watching ENT again instead of using the TV for background noise. Keep up the good work.
Posts: 1645 | From: wyoming usa | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DNash
Member # 1362

Icon 14 posted      Profile for DNash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stand by to see some truly exceptional performances by Anthony Montgomery, Dominic Keating, and Linda Park.

The heartiest of Woo-hoos! and Huzzahs! to this news. I'm now awaiting this one even more eagerly--if that's possible. [Big Grin]

quote:
Manny Coto -- to whom we should all be lighting candles in thanks

Sent him a thank you letter just a couple of weeks ago. [Smile]

quote:
-- wrote the stories for all three episodes, and came up with some great scenes and story developments which we had a lot of fun working with. In this one, you're going to see an amazing performance by Jeffrey Combs, Scott Bakula and Jolene Blalock at their best, and what we feel is a moment of Star Trek history that's as noteworthy as the ending of the film, First Contact, when those aliens pulled back their hoods to reveal they were Vulcans.

::happy Trekkie sigh:: That was cool, yeah. I love watching Jeffery Combs, and he and Bakula have had great chemistry from their first encounter back in S1's The Andorian Incident. For those here who are interested, there's an article and three-part video interview with Combs at startrek.com where he talks about how he got into acting, and particularly into SF acting and Trek. I recommend checking it out. Jeffery Combs article/interview

quote:

Sounds unbeatable to me! Hmmm... Is it cheating if I buy it for my dad and then borrow it so I can read it? [Wink]

Thanks for stopping in and posting an update. It's great to hear that you're doing so well!

Cheers!
~DNash

Cara
Member # 1406

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originaly posted by Martin:
quote:
Possibly classifies as the biggest "DUH!" moment in the history of television. I stopped watching Trek (of any iteration) when it became [plainly evident] to me that there was nothing but tired blood and retreaded storylines in the pipeline. Finally, after [how many?] years Berman decides to bring in writers who are qualified to write both science fiction and stories within the "Star Trek" universe and claims surprise that their stuff is so good?!

Engage Rant Mode
As someone who grew up with the original series and it's tales written by Theodore Sturgeon, Norman Spinrad, Harlan Ellison and a host of others, I've been dismayed by the anathema Berman has shown for established science fiction writers over the years. That anathema has led to anemic ratings, middling to poor episodes, the same writers winning assignments over and over again (some have made a career of suckling at the teat of "Star Trek" for so long because, quite frankly, they could get work nowhere else)and piss-poor drama (sorry for the language).

Finally, after all this time we get someone who knows, loves and respects "Star Trek" as something more than a multi-billion dollar bake sale for Paramount. 'Bout freakin' time!
Disengage Rant Mode

After seeing the first few episodes of "Star Trek: Enterprise" I think Gene Roddenberry and Gene L. Coon are smiling again, where-ever they might be...

Oh, well said Martin!! As a huge fan of ST from the begining I too am once again looking forward to upcoming eps. I haven't been this excited since TNG was on!

WTG J&G;!

Cara [Big Grin]

Posts: 5601 | From: Originally from Cali, temp residing in SC | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CAP
Member # 1198

Excerpted from an article in (TV Cult)

Manny Coto : The Showrunner : "I'm now an executive producer and basically running the writers' room. The latter involves me coming up with and developing stories as well as deciding on the general direction of this season. I'm working with [Series Creators] Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, both of whom are serving in an overall supervisory capacity."

The Coto Goal : "I have a very simple goal this year, and that is to make it Enterprise's best season yet. I want the show to fulfil its promise as a Star Trek prequel, which means creating stories that tie Enterprise in with the Trek universe as a whole. To do that, I'll use themes and even characters from earlier Trek shows, mainly the original, and build upon those already-established foundations."

Ending the Temporal Cold War : "Rick and Brannon came up with a general concept for [�Zero Hour�], but I don�t think they really looked at it in terms of how to wrap up the Temporal Cold War, which is what I felt we needed to do."

"...I had to take [elements from �Zero Hour�] and try a build a story around them. It was very challenging but, ultimately, we came up with �Storm Front� and what was an interesting twist, which I really fell in love with. Archer was, in fact, not in Germany but New Jersey. History had been changed and the Nazis had invaded the northeastern part of the United States."

"'Storm Front' served up wrap up the entire Temporal Cold War, at least for the time being. It also answered the questions that were raised at the end of the last season � where was Archer, how did he and his people wind up back in time, and how will they get home?"

Manny talks about Archer : "Archer is a far more experienced commander now. In Seasons 1 and 2 he was very much the wide-eyed explorer. During year three, he became a military man who had to do some questionable things in order to accomplish his mission. Archer came out of that whole experience believing that the universe is not a friendly place, but rather a violent one and perhaps not worth exploring. This season, and in �Home� in particular, we'll see him struggling to come to terms with that while also trying to maintain his love of exploration and space travel."

Manny talks about T�Pol : "T'Pol will go through a major character change in a three-story arc that we've nicknamed the Vulcan reformation. It essentially involves a civil war on Vulcan and a prophet who appears in the desert. He claims that Vulcan has strayed from the teachings of Surak and that its society needs to reform itself. T'Pol will end up in the centre of this civil war and come under this individual's influence. In doing so, she will get 'in touch' with what it really means to be a Vulcan."

"T'Pol's and Trip's relationship hits a rocky patch in the third episode, �Home�, which I just spoke of. In it, T'Pol is wed in a pre-arranged marriage on Vulcan and, not surprisingly, that creates a bit of a rift between her and Trip. Viewers needn't worry, though, as we have some plans for them."

Manny talks about Trip : "As for Trip, to be frank we're still trying to figure out a worthy story arc for him. We want to try to develop him in a way that's not simply defined in terms of his relationship with T'Pol. We've been working on a series of episodes that deal with Trip as well as his seasoning as a Starfleet officer, but I can't get too specific with that yet."

Is Kirk gonna be on Enterprise or what? "There's still a question of whether or not the Kirk thing will happen. If it does, though, the episode will be written by Judith and Gar Reeves-Stevens, who've joined us this season as story editors. I don't want to give any spoilers away, but, trust me, it's a really cool idea."

Manny in the Playground : "I get such pleasure out of 'playing' in this wonderful universe that Gene Roddenberry created."

DNash
Member # 1362

Thanks for posting this article here, CAP. I'd heard about it, but not found the full text yet.

quote:
Excerpted from an article in (TV Cult)"T'Pol's and Trip's relationship hits a rocky patch in the third episode, �Home�, which I just spoke of. In it, T'Pol is wed in a pre-arranged marriage on Vulcan and, not surprisingly, that creates a bit of a rift between her and Trip. Viewers needn't worry, though, as we have some plans for them."
Can I just say I wasn't worried after the wedding? I was thrilled. Now that Koss has released her from the marriage, however, I'm more than worried. I'm disappointed and disgusted.

quote:
Manny talks about Trip : "As for Trip, to be frank we're still trying to figure out a worthy story arc for him. We want to try to develop him in a way that's not simply defined in terms of his relationship with T'Pol. We've been working on a series of episodes that deal with Trip as well as his seasoning as a Starfleet officer, but I can't get too specific with that yet."
I think Manny makes a good point here. It's past time Trip got a story line in which T'Pol is not the central point. There are 80 other people on this ship, including the man who is supposedly his best friend and whom he has known for over 10 years. Let's see some more of that fabu Archer/Tucker chemistry from S1!

quote:
Manny in the Playground : "I get such pleasure out of 'playing' in this wonderful universe that Gene Roddenberry created."
I love this quote. I admit it--I'm jealous that he gets paid to play in a universe where I love to play, too. [Wink] It's Trek. It's a cultural icon. I'm glad to see that he appears to appreciate the good fortune of his position.

~DNash

CAP
Member # 1198

Your welcome (about the full text) [Smile]

I was disappointed regarding the Trip/TPol issue, however, since Tpols neural (sp) pathways have been repaired (from the unauthorized mindmeld...which I thought was incurable...shakes head...*must stop overthinking this issue*) and she's no longer under the influence of *a drug*...perhaps the relationship can become more adult. I look at the relationship on B-5. Delann and Sheridan. Both took the time to learn about each others cultures and species. And to gain understanding, acceptance and finally a lifelong love. It wasn't a decontamination chamber *affair* <G>. However, I'm pleased they are going to focus on the OTHER CAST members. By the time TOS ended(after three seasons), we knew, Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov, Urhra (sp), Nurse Chappell. The same with TNG (you knew the crew). Archer saving the world is, well...interesting. How about Mayweather saving the world or Hoshi or the 3rd MACO from the left <G>. Ok, weekly rant over <G>

Sorry... [Embarrassed]

DNash
Member # 1362

quote:
I look at the relationship on B-5. Delann and Sheridan.

Excellent example! Babylon 5 wasn't perfect, but it did a lot of things right, and that was definitely one of those things.

quote:
However, I'm pleased they are going to focus on the OTHER CAST members.

As am I. I like Archer, but he's not the whole show for me. Just as Trip and T'Pol are not the whole show for me. (Actually, that relationship has detracted from the whole show for me up until Home.) There are seven main cast members. Yes, there are "stars" among the seven, but I will take "ensemble" over "stars" any day.

~DNash

CAP
Member # 1198

As I recall J&G; sent BIA as their audition tape to B&B.; While this was DAVID's episode, each cast member had a strong role. All contributed to the finale. So I expect J&G; to develop everyone.

Currently I'm watching McLeods Daughters. Only nine episodes in and I know the characters (would seem intimately) and their neighbors as well. Now that is ensemble casting.

celticsoul
Member # 617

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for celticsoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well....I've watched all the Star Trek series. Loved the STOS as a teen. Thoroughly enjoyed most of STNG. Watched all of DS9, too. Enjoyed most of those eps, although some were stronger than others. Liked Voyager (especially Chacote) but not enough to buy on DVD. I liked the beginning of Enterprise, but 2nd season, it got bogged down with the same main story. Didn't care much for how S3 began, but really, really loved the Vulcan reformation trilogy. This is ST at it's best! With J&G; writing more stories this season should be great.
Posts: 19 | From: California, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CAP
Member # 1198

Production Report:

Production Report: Klingon Discrepancy Addressed in "Affliction"

SPOILER ALERT!!!
It's probably the single most popular topic of conversation among Star Trek fans: Why do Klingons look different during Captain Kirk's day than all the times after and before? What happened to their forehead ridges during that period? (We all know the real reason � the original show didn't have the budget for prosthetic makeup ... and starting with the movies they did. But that explanation is no fun!) In fact, at conventions fans consistently ask if that discrepancy would ever be explained on the show, thus becoming "canon." Well, Trekkies and Trekkers, it's finally happening. The 15th episode of Season 4 of Star Trek: Enterprise will begin to address that issue, and it's called "Affliction."

"Affliction" is the first of a two-parter, written by Mike Sussman (we've got a bio for him now!) from a story by Manny Coto. The second part is called "Divergence," written by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, and those episodes will air in February. (During sweeps ... clever, huh?)

The Klingon forehead issue is a complicated one, because it has to take into account a number of factors if one is to stay true to the Star Trek universe as previously established. The simplest theories (e.g. "southern" vs. "northern" breeds) have to be thrown out because Star Trek: Deep Space Nine reprised three Klingon characters from the Original Series � Kor, Koloth and Kang � and gave them forehead ridges in "Blood Oath." Then there was "Trials and Tribble-ations," where the crew went back in time to Station K-7, looked around and said, "Those are Klingons??" They turned to bumpy-headed Worf for an explanation, and he would only say it's a long story and "We do not discuss it with outsiders."

Well, rest assured the writers have taken all that into account and have come up with a scenario consistent with all those elements. We won't give it away here, of course, but we will say that it ties very neatly into other aspects of Trek history.

To briefly synopsize the story, Enterprise heads back to Earth for the official launch of the Columbia NX-02, commanded by Erika Hernandez. After visiting his favorite Chinese restaurant in San Francisco, Phlox is abducted by aliens (Rigelians, actually). He finds himself in the presence of Klingons who tell him the Empire is facing its gravest threat in centuries. Along the way, as Archer and company investigate and pursue, it's revealed that one of our main characters has a secret past which comes into play.

There's some exciting casting in this show, including some familiar Klingon faces. Remember the Klingon Ambassador who railed against Kirk in "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" and "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country"? That was John Schuck, and he's back in the bumpy cranium but as a more cerebral Klingon, a scientist named "Antaak." Schuck was also a Cardassian in DS9's "The Maquis, Part II," and a member of the "Chorus" in Star Trek: Voyager's "Muse."

Worf's son Alexander was played by four different people (counting the future one in "Firstborn"). The final actor in that role for the DS9 episodes "Sons and Daughters" and "You Are Cordially Invited..." was Marc Worden. Here, Worden plays a "Klingon Prisoner" who, shall we say, undergoes some nasty business related to those head ridges.

Ada Maris, introduced in "Home" as Archer's old flame, returns as the Columbia's captain. Another face back in uniform is that of avid Trek fan Seth MacFarlane, creator of the animated comedy Family Guy (which currently is being made into a movie). The 31-year-old MacFarlane had a brief cameo last season as an Engineer in "The Forgotten" (related story). He's still an Engineer but now he's got a Columbia patch on his uniform, and he's got a name: "Ensign Rivers." He's also got more scenes this time.

Two more alumni in the guest cast are Eric Pierpoint as "Harris" (a mysterious person involved in a certain character's past), and Brad Greenquist as one of the Rigelians who kidnap Phlox. Pierpoint has appeared once in each of the latter-day Trek series � in TNG's "Liaisons," DS9's "For the Uniform," Voyager's "Barge of the Dead," and Enterprise's "Rogue Planet." Greenquist was in "Dawn," and also Voyager's "Warlord" and DS9's "Who Mourns for Morn?"

Production on this installment took place from Friday, December 3, through Monday of this week. Certain standing sets were redressed a bit to serve as the equivalent sections of Columbia, namely Engineering, the Bridge, and the Captain's Mess. On the latter set there was a greenscreen in the window where a view of the drydock will be inserted later.

There were some exterior scenes for the sequence where Phlox is walking with Hoshi and they get jumped by the Rigelians, and subsequently the area becomes a crime scene. This was shot at Paramount, but rather than use the New York Streets backlot yet again (as in "Storm Front"), the company did these scenes between the studio's Administration Building (home of all the top executives) and another building which may be recognizable as the high school in Happy Days. There's an altercation, so Linda Park was stunt-doubled by Diana Inosanto (John Billingsley did his own, less intense moves), and the other two Rigelians besides Greenquist were played by stuntmen Brian Williams and Tom Dupont.

About a day and a half was spent in a Klingon Laboratory designed as a dark, dank chamber filled with rusty equipment (the script reads, "If Doctor Frankenstein lived in the 22nd century, he might work in a place like this"). There were some rattling animal cages on the set, but much of the atmosphere of these scenes will be created through post-production sound and visual effects. There will be Targs running around and snarling, digitally.

Will we actually see the Kirk-era Klingon visage in this episode? Why yes! In fact, we'll see four of them (referred to in the production notes either as "Klingons, Type Two" or "Semi-Klingons"), the principal one named "Marab." And yes, they have that swarthy complexion and that Fu Manchu facial hair. They do, however, have a very slight remnant of the forehead ridge. Their outfits are leathery brown like we've seen on Klingons before, but a lot less bulky.

The second and final part of this Klingon arc is currently in production, but the company goes on hiatus after this Friday, the 17th, for two weeks. They will resume January 3, with three days left on "Divergence." After that, there will only be six more episodes to shoot in the season, finishing up principal photography in March.

"Affliction" was directed by Michael Grossman, who joined Enterprise last season with "Hatchery." Earlier this season he helmed the first part of the Vulcan arc, "The Forge." This is the fifth writing credit of the season for Sussman, on top of "Home," "The Augments," "Kir'Shara" and "Babel One."

"Affliction" is tentatively scheduled to air February 18, with "Divergence" the week after. Updates will appear in Episode Detail.

The upcoming airdate schedule from UPN as we currently have it is as follows (subject, as always, to change):

12/17 Repeat of "Cold Station 12"
12/24 Pre-empted*
12/31 Pre-empted*
01/07 Repeat of "The Augments"
01/14 "Daedalus"
01/21 "Observer Effect"
01/28 "Babel One"
02/04 "United"
02/11 "The Aenar"
02/18 "Affliction"
02/25 "Divergence"
03/04 Repeat TBD
03/11 Repeat TBD
03/18 Repeat TBD

*Two episodes from Season 3, "Countdown" and "Zero Hour," will be available to UPN affiliates the weekends of 12/24 and 12/31, respectively, to air at a time of their choice. Check your loca

Cara
Member # 1406

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Cara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi J&G;!! It's so wonderful to hear from you! [Big Grin]

I'm so glad everything is going so well for you! Enterprise has become the outstanding show I knew it could be!

Have a wonderful holiday! [Big Grin]

Cara [Wink]

Posts: 5601 | From: Originally from Cali, temp residing in SC | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CAP
Member # 1198

Partial Interview with Scott Bakula about Trek:

SciFiPulse

CAP
Member # 1198

Viacom in Talks to Fill Top Studio Job

Sun Jan 2, 7:55 AM ET Top Stories - Los Angeles Times

By Claudia Eller and Sallie Hofmeister Times Staff Writers

High-powered talent manager Brad Grey is expected to be named head of Paramount Pictures as early as this week, a move that represents a clean break from its previous management team and is likely to bring sweeping changes for the storied and recently troubled studio, knowledgeable industry sources said Saturday.

Sources said Grey was in the final stages of negotiations with Paramount parent Viacom Inc. to succeed studio chief Sherry Lansing, who announced two months ago that she would retire after 12 years on the job. Although talks were continuing Saturday over financial and other issues and could still break down, one top Viacom source said that the odds of a deal were very high.

Grey would take over at one of Paramount's most crucial turning points. The studio has endured a bleak period marked by management turmoil and deteriorating morale inside its Melrose Avenue gates. Paramount has suffered a prolonged box-office slump with such expensive misfires as "Alfie" and "The Stepford Wives." Its tightfisted financial approach and cautious strategy has alienated stars, producers and agents, although Viacom has sought to reverse that by loosening its purse strings over the last year.

Grey, who turned 47 on Wednesday, could not be reached for comment. He has been vacationing in Hawaii, but was expected to meet with Viacom executives by Monday. A Viacom spokesman declined to comment.

Grey would be the personal choice of Viacom Co-President Tom Freston, who since being given oversight of Paramount last summer has made fixing the studio a top priority. Paramount's box-office slide has already shown signs of ending with the success of "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie."

Unlike Lansing, an iconic figure in film with more than 30 years as a studio executive and producer, Grey has limited hands-on movie experience. He also has a relatively poor box-office track record, having produced such flops as "City by the Sea," "What Planet Are You From?" and "The Cable Guy."

But as chairman of Brillstein-Grey Entertainment, where he helps guide the careers of such stars as Adam Sandler, Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt, Grey does enjoy strong ties with talent and agents, whose frayed relationships with Paramount Freston is eager to mend.

Freston also wants Grey to change Paramount's risk-averse culture: It has been reluctant to bet on big, potentially lucrative projects.

A source close to Freston said that he also was drawn to Grey because of his strong business background and reputation as a savvy dealmaker. Grey's affable, calm demeanor also was said to be a plus because it could help soothe tensions that have mounted between the studio and Hollywood's creative community.

Though Freston said publicly he wanted to appoint someone with deep movie experience, Viacom sources said he grew frustrated by his limited choices in filling the job. Many top potential outside candidates, including Universal Pictures Chairwoman Stacey Snider and Fox Searchlight chief Peter Rice, are under contracts at other studios.

Those sources said that although Freston had been impressed with the leading inside candidate, Paramount production president Donald De Line, he ultimately chose an outsider perhaps to send a clear signal to Hollywood that it was dealing with a new Paramount. De Line has told Freston he would leave if he were passed over for the job.

A native New Yorker, Grey started in the business running errands for a concert promotion company owned by Miramax Films co-founder Harvey Weinstein. For years, he has been a high-profile, respected figure in Hollywood. In addition to talent management, Grey is known for his accomplishments in television, where he served as executive producer on the HBO's Emmy-winning series "The Sopranos." His company owns stakes in that and shows such as "Just Shoot Me."

Though Grey has turned down several top studio jobs in the past, including at Disney, Sony and Universal, he appears ready to make the jump. Having amassed a fortune at his management company, Grey's friends said, money is not his prime motivation.

If he joined Paramount, Grey would be giving up a powerful and autonomous position as a manager-producer to take a studio job that would earn him less money, require him to answer to corporate bosses and subject him to the kind of Darwinian management culture that pervades today's media giants.

But status as a power player in the movie business has eluded the highly ambitious Grey. Industry veterans who know Grey said that heading a studio would present him with a seductive opportunity to join Hollywood's elite club of studio chiefs. "Everyone treats you differently," said a friend of Grey's.

Grey is friends with both Freston and Viacom's other co-president, Leslie Moonves. Nonetheless, industry sources warned, friendships can unravel when executives are forced to work side by side, such as in Walt Disney Chief Executive Michael Eisner's ill-fated hiring of Michael Ovitz as president in 1995.

Freston, who until recently ran Viacom's highly profitable MTV Networks cable group, has had a history of making unconventional choices.

He is known for grooming promising young executives and taking chances by giving them big jobs. Christina Norman, for instance, was plucked from MTV's promotion department to run troubled music channel VH1, which she quickly turned around by changing a rule-bound culture that had stifled creativity.

If the Paramount deal is consummated, Grey would join a long list of onetime talent representatives who have become top studio or corporate executives in Hollywood, with mixed success. The late Lew Wasserman, who started as an agent, built entertainment conglomerate MCA Inc. Ron Meyer, a former agent, heads Universal Studios Inc. But Meyer's former partner, top agent Ovitz, failed at Disney.

There are still a number of issues to be resolved before Viacom can seal the deal with Grey. The stickiest is how Grey gets out of existing business relationships, including his sole ownership of Brillstein-Grey. Hired by veteran manager Bernie Brillstein in the mid-1980s, Grey was made a full partner in 1991. Four years later, the 64-year-old Brillstein stepped back from daily management, selling his stake to Grey.

Holding onto Brillstein-Grey would be a conflict of interest because as head of a studio, Grey could channel business to his firm and its clients.

Grey also would have two other major issues to resolve. One would be to extricate himself from a film production company, Plan B, that he formed three years ago with Pitt and Aniston, at Warner Bros.

The company just renewed its deal until 2008. Its first picture, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp, is due out July 16. At least two other films are gearing up for production this year.

As head of Paramount, Grey would not be permitted to make movies for a rival such as Warner Bros.

Grey probably would have to divorce himself from "The Sopranos" for a similar reason. The award-winning show has one more season on HBO.

Brad Grey

Chairman and chief executive, Brillstein-Grey Entertainment

Personal: Born Dec. 29, 1957, in the Bronx; raised in Spring Valley, N.Y. Wife, Jill, and three children.

Education: Communications degree, 1979, State University of New York, Buffalo

Management career: After working as an assistant for Miramax co-founder Harvey Weinstein, he became a talent manager, signing comedian Bob Saget as his first client. He built the successful Brillstein-Grey talent management company with longtime manager Bernie Brillstein. Much of the firm's early success came representing "Saturday Night Live" stars. Its clients today include the show's producer, Lorne Michaels, along with such stars as Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt, Adam Sandler, Nicolas Cage, former New York Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani and Martin Short.

Production career: Like a lot of Hollywood managers, Grey is frequently attached as a producer to his clients' projects. He served as executive producer on such hits as "The Wedding Singer" and "Scary Movie" but also on such duds as "City by the Sea," "The Cable Guy" and "What Planet Are You From?" He has a film production company with his firm's longtime clients Pitt and Aniston.

In television, Grey has been attached as producer to a number of successful and critically acclaimed shows, including "The Sopranos," "Politically Incorrect," "NewsRadio," "Just Shoot Me" and "The Larry Sanders Show."

Just in 1/6/04

GREY'S PAR DEAL FINALIZED
Brillstein-Grey turned over to its current managers
Viacom today named Brad Grey, vet Hollywood talent manager and producer of the hit television series "The Sopranos," to head its struggling Paramount film studio.

Grey, 47, will start as chief executive and chairman of the Paramount Motion Picture Motion Picture Group by March 1. He replaces Sherry Lansing, whose contract ends this year.

Saint
Member # 1323

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Saint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info J&G;, and CAP. Very interesting tidbits of news. Looking forward to the new series when it sirs over here.
Posts: 6714 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CAP
Member # 1198

Icon 7 posted      Profile for CAP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler on Divergence (written by J&G;) Divergence
CAP
Member # 1198

This AM perusing the official Trek Board I found several remarks mentioning Bakula leaving the show (end of 4th Season)quoting Scotts publicist.

The official Board has already posted a counter from the publicist and Mr. Bakula (wow that was fast).

Bakula Publicist Denies "Star Leaving Show" Quote

Jay Schwartz, publicist for Scott Bakula (Captain Jonathan Archer), has denied quotes attributed to him on the Internet this morning saying that the Star Trek: Enterprise star is ready to leave the show at the end of the fourth season.
"It's simply not true, I never said this," he told STARTREK.COM in response to the quote. "People familiar with the way I operate know that this is not how I conduct my business. I would like to nip this in the bud right now."

More news as it breaks ...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Lost World Website | Privacy Statement

� & � MMV New Line Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved. PRIVACY POLICY | Terms of Use