Author
 Posts (Read 1736 times)   Printable Version 
joe hollywood
Forum Full Member

Location: Cleveland - Home of The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, Ohio USA
 Monday, January 09 2006 @ 01:50 AM CST
Re:30 For Valid Score

Quote by: nyakki
A miracle has happened. The impossible became possible after all of the groveling, begging, and bribing.... my song is validated now Smile )

Oh, sorry nyakki. You should have asked... I would have had the secretary at the front desk validate your song for you. Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Quite a trip, though. And a very interesting discussion about the verities --- and the foibles --- of the ratings system. Thanks for instigating it. Cool

LATEST Hollywood: "Dance, Dance, Dance." & "My Heart's Defender

screaming.org
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 09 2006 @ 05:28 AM CST

I have no idea what I've proved or disproved or accomplished or disaccomplished....but at least my song is validated now.

That's easy...your one accomplishment was to fabricate this notion. Big Grin

screaming.org

composerclark
Forum Regular Poster

Monday, January 09 2006 @ 07:32 PM CST

I have no idea what I've proved or disproved or accomplished or disaccomplished.

I just want to thank everyone who took the time to listen, vote, and participate in this unorthodox attempt to get votes and comments. Or was it to prove a point? I forget.

Well, I'm jumping in after the ship has left, apparently, but I only just discovered this thread, and I haven't been at MJs very long (less than two weeks). For what it's worth, I voted and commented.

I wanted to say, though, that this has been an interesting thread, one that has raised good points, many of which I've been wondering about myself. I'm not sure why there was a fixation on the number 30, and why you apparently regarded 29 as a failure, but 30 as a validation. Maybe you were being facetious, but obviousy, 29 is no more a failure than 30 is a validation. Nothing here is a validation! If you get a lot of votes, your score becomes more valid from a statistical perspective, but it still isn't clear to me what any of this means. Bottom line for any artist is YOU have to set your own standards, and only you can "validate" your own music.

I see many purposes to MacJams, but one of the most beneficial is that it seems to serve as a kind of support group for those of us who are afflicted by the desire to create music and share it with others. This is great! The more supportive people are, the more encouraged most of us feel to keep doing what we're doing, and by so doing, we are all more likely to improve. It's important that we continue to fight the good fight, so to speak.

Making music is, in a sense, inherently crazy. Most of us do it furtively on our Macs, while our families often have no idea what the heck we're doing or why. Meanwhile, we labour away trying to get our creations "just right," knowing that not too many people are ever likely to hear them. A bit crazy, no?

But maybe it's not crazy at all! We all need to find something to do with our lives until our time here is up, and if we love music, why not do what we love, as long as we're not negatively affecting others' lives by doing so? I can think of lot of things more harmful than that.

So, we toil away, many of us seeking some form of external validation from this site in the form of good scores and helpful/affirming comments, and there's really nothing wrong with that. But we all need to keep our sense of perspective on it all. If you get 2 people voting for one song (this is the number who have, at this point, voted for my latest, "Last Dance," or 26 votes (the number that voted for my previous submission, "Interlude for String Orchestra"), it's important to resist the temptation (and yes, I feel it too) to assign too much significance to either result.

In the case of my two compositions mentioned above, I'm pretty sure that the second is at least as good as the first, partly because I've probably heard it a hundred times, and it moves and pleases me each time. But, yeah, I'd like people to vote, because I genuinely am curious about what people who are not necessarily steeped in classical or contemporary classical music think about the stuff that I write (and also because of insecurity, I admit!), but, if only two people end up voting for it, so be it. Life will go on, and "Last Dance" won't be any better or worse than it was when I uploaded it, so it's important that my belief in its value also not change.

Okay, I'll stop rambling now! Thanks for a fascinating thread!

Search This Forum: