Libre Map Project
Please do not download huge amounts of data automatically. If you'd like data for an entire area or state, email me and we can make arrangements. Thanks -jared
The purpose of the Libre Map Project is to aggregate and make digital maps and related GIS data available for Free.
Data - search and download Maps and other GIS data
Documentation - information on Cartography and GIS related topics brought to you by Wikipedia.
Email us - maps AT redjar DOT org
The Libre Map project has many gigabytes of map and GIS data available. We would like to build the collection. If you have DRG data or would like to donate money for the purchase of data, please let us know: maps AT redjar DOT org
24k USGS DRG's for the following states: (please note that there are many errors with the data from the USGS. Feel free to report any missing maps or issues you encounter, but keep in mind fixing it may take me a while.)
SVG boundary border files for all US states (including state, county, and town boundaries)
TIGER/Line - All 2003 data is available.
GeoNames - All USGS place names are available for searching. The data can be used to find appropriate DRG's and can be downloaded in GPX format for transfer to a GPS device.
03/05/2006 - Illinois DRG's added
03/04/2006 - Alabama and Wyoming DRG's added
10/27/2004 - Colorado DRG's added
- Many thanks to Don Coleman for donating Colorado DRG's. They are now available for download.
06/10/2004 - Recent Changes:
- created SVG boundary border files for all US states (including state, county, and town boundaries)
- I've moved all the raw USGS DRG map data to the server. The following states are now available: Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia. I still need to do clean up and checking for missing quads
05/28/2004 - Although I'm an extreme GIS neophyte, I'm starting to get a hold of some of the quadzillion concepts and acronyms. Progress continues:
- A database with all USGS DRG metadata is up.
- A place name database with 1.8 million place names taken from Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) is up.
- I now have raw USGS DRG's for 10 states. (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Arkansas, Maryland, Delaware) I've only moved Vermont over the server at this time.
- All 2003 TIGER/Line data has been downloaded.
- A basic web front end to search for place names is up and allows to download appropriate DRG's and TIGER/Line data is working. (not publically accessible because I break it so often.)
05/06/2004 - The project was started in early March, 2004 and is still in early planning phase. My intention is to start with the narrow focus of the state of Vermont. If I make any actual progress, I'll branch out to other states.