|USA War College History|
|As the oldest active military post in the United States, Carlisle Barracks is among the most historic of American military installations. During more than two centuries of distinguished service to the nation, Carlisle Barracks has been home to many military schools and has supported a variety of operations and civilian activities.
In the 1700s the Barracks supported operations to protect settlers in Central Pennsylvania and deployments during the French and Indian Wars. It also served as a key installation during the War of Independence. The Hessian Powder Magazine Museum, built in 1777 by Hessian prisoners , survives today as a reminder of the Barracks’ role in that seminal period of American history. Carlisle Barracks later served as a base of operations for President Washington during the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794.
In the 1800s, the Barracks served as a recruiting and basic training center, and subsequently became the home to the Cavalry and Infantry School. During the Civil War, Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart, a graduate of the Cavalry and Infantry School, shelled and burned Carlisle Barracks while supporting Confederate forces at Gettysburg.
During the latter half of the 19th century, the Barracks served as the home of the Carlisle Indian School. This noble social experiment was designed to educate rather than subjugate Native Americans. The highlight of the period was the unparalleled athletic achievements of Jim Thorpe and Coach Pop Warner. The Indian School closed in 1917 when the post was turned back to the Army for use during World War I. From that time until 1951, the Barracks served as the home to many Army service schools including the Adjutant General, Chaplains, Information, Security, Military Police, and Medical Field Service Schools.
The U.S. Army War College was established by General Order 155 on 27 November 1901. The Secretary of War, Elihu Root, laid the cornerstone for Roosevelt Hall, the War College building, at Washington Barracks (now Ft. McNair) on 21 February 1903. The College remained in Washington until World War II. Closed from 1940 to 1950, the College reopened for one year at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas, prior to moving to Carlisle Barracks in 1951.
|The U.S. Army War College prepares selected military, civilian, and international leaders for strategic leadership responsibilities. It does so by studying the unique role of landpower as part of a unified, joint, or combined force in support of the national military strategy.
To accomplish this mission, the Department of Distance Education (DDE) offers a curriculum designed to prepare graduates to:
- Distinguish the uniqueness of strategic level leadership.