We regret to announce the deaths of the following Members of Queens':
Dr T St. M. Norris (1921)
The Revd Canon A. S. Gribble (1924)
C. Bicknell, O.B.E. (1928)
A. W. Hart (1929)
The Revd J. B. Browne, M. C. (1933)
A. S. Eban (1934)
A. H. Henson (1934)
The Revd Canon L. D. Blathwayt (1935)
G. Pyper (1935)
Professor H. Butler (1936L)
Dr. D. H. K. Soltau (1936)
C. W. Furneaux (1937)
G. A. M. Hollis (1937)
R. A. Johnson (1937) in 1992
G. D. H. E. Massy (1940)
W. F. Ashton (1941)
J. P. S. Taylor (1941) in 2000
Dr W vanít Hoff (1941)
Professor J. R. Trevaskis (1942L)
Dr A. V. Dunlop (1946)
The Rt Revd D. G. Hawker (1946)
Dr A. L. Y. Bashayan (1947) in 1995
B. A. Eagle (1947)
Sir Derek S. Birley (1948)
M. D. E. D'Hont (1948)
D. H. Bullock (1949)
J. Shaw (1949)
M. R. Smith (1949)
K A. Byres (1950)
R. T. Hazell (1950)
J. M. Kinton (1953)
Dr L. G. Lawrence (1952) in 2000
M. F. Collett (1953)
B. D. Emery (1953)
M. Storr (1954)
A. D. Main ((1956)
J. Emmerson (1958)
J. H. Harris (1959)
D. A. S. Neill (1959)
Dr A. J. Addlesee (1962)
P. W. Frost (1967)
Dr P. P. Mercer (1976)
Mrs H. Suggett (née Haines) (1985)
J. A. Schickler (1999)
The Avenue in the Grove. Photo: Brian Callingham
We publish short summary obituaries in the Record of Queens' Members who have died, where information is available to us:
T. St. M. NORRIS, MD, FRCP, DPH (1921) aged 98. The son of a clergyman, Martin Norris came to Queens' from Truro Cathedral School to read Medicine. He completed his medical training at the London Hospital, qualifying MRCS in 1927, MB, BChir in 1928, MRCP in 1930 and, with a career in public health in mind, DPH in 1931. He held various junior posts prior to entering the fever hospital service of the London County Council, transferring to the General Medical Service at the Archway Hospital, Highgate, in 1934. A love of horses induced him to join the Honourable Artillery Company, so he was immediately mobilised in 1939, only to be quickly released in the expectation of heavy air raid casualties. He worked at the Hammersmith Hospital until 1942 when he joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve as a Surgeon-Lieutenant and spent the rest of the War in the eastern Mediterranean. On demobilisation, he returned to Archway Hospital which was amalgamated with its two sister hospitals, St Mary's and Highgate, in 1947 to form the Whittington Hospital, where Martin served as a consultant physician until he retired in 1968. During this time he and his colleagues founded the then innovative Post-Graduate Medical Centre. In retirement he worked as a locum physician, becoming much involved with geriatrics until he finally retired. A strong personality softened by a generous, supportive and optimistic temperament, Martin was good company, is spite of deafness, until the end of his life. As a young man he had a taste for fast cars and was always a keen sailor. A countryman and gardener at heart, he especially enjoyed growing his own vegetables. Martin continued to brew his own beer to within a month of his short final illness.
The Revd Canon A. S. GRIBBLE (1924) aged 97. Arthur Gribble came to Queens' from Ulverston Grammar School and took a first in Theology. After a further year at Heidelberg University, he trained for the priesthood at Westcott House before taking up a curacy at St. Mary's, Windermere. He went on to become Chaplain to Salisbury Theological College and later worked in the Diocese of Bath and Wells. As Rural Dean of Shepton Mallett he converted a disastrously large parsonage into a home for war refugees and let rooms to another priest. In 1954 he was appointed Principal of Queen's College, Birmingham, then a growing centre for the training of Anglican ordinands. During his time there he organised much rebuilding and the construction of a new wing. Strict with himself and his students, he maintained a semi-monastic regime (initially excluding the wives of married students, although he mellowed in the sixties to welcome them). Much of his training curriculum was experimental, incorporating co-operation with the social services, hospitals and prisons. Gribble also developed close relations with the Methodist College at Handsworth and Queen's College has at present a mixture of 80 Anglican, Methodist and United Reformed Church students in ministerial training. In 1967, after the challenging and tiring years at Queen's, he became Residentiary Canon, Chancellor and Librarian of Peterborough Cathedral. He expected cathedral staff to be peacemakers and to listen to lay people. At first respected as a disciplined upholder of traditional standards, he was soon recognised as a reticent but warm-hearted friend. Gribble found many of the Cathedral's collection of rare books to be damp and dirty and, despite some local opposition, negotiated their long-term loan to Cambridge University Library. The 5000 books are one of the Andersen Room's most valuable acquisitions. In 1959 he retired, first in Stamford and then in Wincanton, though he continued to teach and was much in demand to preach in many rural parishes, being ready to conduct church worship until the age of 90. Possessed of a small, wiry figure he was a keen mountaineer in his youth and enjoyed fell-walking. He was committed throughout his long life to New Testament scholarship, German philosophical theology, and the care of libraries. He was convinced of the divine acceptance of permanent gay relationships and rejoiced in the gifts that women were bringing to the priesthood. He continued to pray for the reunion of the churches, especially with Rome.
C. BICKNELL, OBE (1926) aged 91. The son and grandson of head brewers and managing directors of Newcastle Breweries Ltd, Claud Bicknell attended Oundle School before coming to Queens' on a scholarship to read Modern Languages and Law. The Bicknells were keen climbers - his father died in the Alps the year before Claud left Oundle - and, like his two brothers, Claude became President of the Cambridge University Mountaineering Club and was a long standing member of the Alpine Club. He was admitted as a solicitor in 1934 and joined a firm of solicitors in Newcastle-upon-Tyne becoming a partner in 1939 and eventually the Senior Partner. Already a volunteer member of the Auxiliary Fire Service, he soon became an important organiser of the fire service in the North East during the War and went on to become a Senior Fire Staff Officer at the Home Office. He was appointed OBE after the War. Director of Northern Corporation Ltd. (1939-53), Member of the Planning Board of the Lake District National Park (1951-70), Chairman of Newcastle-upon-Tyne Housing Improvement Trust Ltd. (1966-70), President of the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Incorporated Law Society (1969), he also played a central role in drafting the Countryside Code and was involved in the inquiries into Manchester's plans to increase the amount of water extracted from the Lakes. He was also among those who helped to create Amnesty International. In 1970, when a vacancy occurred in the membership of the Law Commission, the chairman, Lord Scarman, anxious that the Commission be representative of the legal profession as a whole, insisted that it be filled by a solicitor from a general practice. Bicknell's knowledge, personality and drive had not gone unnoticed and he was told by the Lord Chancellor's Office that he was to be appointed and that no other candidate was being considered. Claud became, therefore, the first practising solicitor to be a Law Commissioner and, of necessity, moved to London. When the tenure of his appointment as a Law Commissioner ended in 1975, he was invited by the Lord Chancellor to become part-time Chairman of Industrial Tribunals. He brought his common sense and patience to bear on this interesting and varied work until his retirement to Kendal in 1985.
A. W. HART, MRCVS (1929) aged 91. Born in Roxburghshire, Andrew Hart came to Queens' from Cheltenham College to read Agriculture with the intention of following his father into farming. After graduation he decided on a career in veterinary medicine and was admitted to the Royal Dick Veterinary College, Edinburgh. Qualifying MRCVS in 1936, he joined the Colonial Veterinary Service and was posted to northern Nigeria where he was concerned with combating the major epizootics of rinderpest and contagious bovine pleuro-pneumonia. He returned to England in 1946 as Veterinary Officer of the Hampshire Cattle Breeders Society in the early days of bovine artificial insemination. Then, after a short spell of service with the Ministry of Agriculture in Exeter, he spent three years in the service of the Department of Agriculture of New Zealand. In 1956, Andrew entered general practice in Dorset specialising in work with farm animals and the control of bovine tuberculosis and brucellosis. Truly a gentleman, Andrew played a full and active part in his local community and church after his retirement in 1975.
The Revd J. B. BROWNE, MC (1933) aged 87. The nephew
of Archie Browne, sometime Vice-President of Queens', John Browne
came to the College from Oundle to read English and History. Following
graduation in 1936, he taught at Bedford School for two years
and then did a year's exchange at Canada College, Toronto. He
declined the offer of a permanent post there because of the impending
outbreak of war, and returned to the United Kingdom (after cancelling
his passage on the SS Athenia which was torpedoed in the first
week of the War!) to go to Sandhurst in October 1939. He was commissioned
in the Royal West Kent Regiment and served in Malta throughout
the siege 1940-43 and then went to the Aegean where he took part
in the Battle of Leros. During this engagement John led his platoon
to recapture a ridge in an action for which he was later awarded
the Military Cross. In the German counter-attack, he was wounded
and taken prisoner but escaped to Turkey with a few others in
a Greek fishing boat and returned to England to rejoin his regiment.
John felt strongly called to the ordained ministry and went to
Westcott House for his theological training. Following a curacy
at Leeds Parish Church, he subsequently ran parishes at Wortley,
Barnard Castle (where for 12 years he was also Rural Dean) and
at Billingham. He loved the open spaces of the moors and retired
in 1980 to Heptonstall in the Yorkshire Pennines. Much loved for
his sincerity, kindness and wisdom he continued to take services
as long as his health allowed. Retirement gave him more time for
writing poetry which was an important part of his life.
The Revd Canon L. D. BLATHWAYT (1935) aged 86. Linley Blathwayt came to Queens' from Eastbourne College to read Agriculture. He was a keen oarsman and, in spite of his slight stature, progressed from a place in the College third boat in his first year to rowing stroke in the first boat in the Lents in his final year. After graduating, he entered Wells Theological College and was ordained deacon in 1940 and priest in 1941. He served as curate successively at St John the Baptist, Halifax, from 1940 and Christ Church, Tynemouth, from 1945 before his successive appointments as Vicar of Bywell from 1948, of St Peter, Monkseaton, from 1956 and of Shalbourne with Ham, Wiltshire from 1959. He moved to Scotland in 1966 as Rector of Ballachulish and Rector of Glencoe, Diocese of Argyll and the Isles, returning in 1969 to the Salisbury Diocese as Rector of Gussage St Michael and Gussage All Saints. In 1971 he became Rector of Corscombe and Priest-in-charge of St Quintin, Frome, with Evershot and Melbury Bubb. He was Team Rector of Melbury from 1979. Concurrently with these posts he was Rural Dean of Beaminster, Dorset, from 1975 and Canon and Prebendary of Salisbury Cathedral from 1979 until his retirement to Allendale, Hexham, in 1981.
Professor H. BUTLER, MD, BChir, PhD (1936) aged 85. Harry Butler came to Queens' from Central Secondary School, Birmingham, on a Foundation Scholarship and read Natural Sciences. He qualified as a doctor and served as a Surgeon-Lieutenant, RNVR, during the War and then as a Resident Surgical Officer, Sussex County Hospital, prior to his appointment as Reader in Anatomy at St Bartholomewís Hospital Medical School. In 1955 he was appointed Senior Lecturer in Anatomy at Khartoum University School of Medicine in the Sudan and became Professor and Dean of Medicine there in 1960. He moved to Canada in 1964 as Associate Professor of Anatomy (Full Professor in 1965) at the University of Saskatchewan where he worked until his retirement in 1985, becoming Emeritus Professor of Anatomy. His research work, begun in the Sudan, focussed on the embryology of the Galago (Senegalese Bush Baby) on which he wrote many papers. He also published a book on comparative primate embryology. Like so many others, Harry Butler cherished his connections with Queens' and was particularly delighted to revisit the College when he took his PhD (by accumulation of papers) in person.
G.A.M.HOLLIS, M.I.Mech.E. (1937) aged 83. Tony Hollis came to Queens' from Glenalmond to read Mechanical Sciences and, whilst at College, was a keen rowing cox. After graduating he joined ICI in Widnes as a trainee instrument engineer and qualified as a member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (during the War, being in a reserved occupation, he served in the Home Guard) and continued to work for ICI in Runcorn, Gillingham and Wilton until 1953 when he joined Brotherton & Company in Leeds as a development engineer. He moved to British Hydrocarbon Chemicals in Grangemouth in 1956 some tens years before the firm became part of British Petroleum, and worked for the next 23 years in such diverse areas as heavy machinery special instrumentation, 'off-sites' cooling water, town water, drainage and effluent pumping until he retired in 1979 as Assistant Chief Mechanical Engineer. He was then able to spend more time enjoying gardening and hill-walking until 1997 when ill-health began to limit his mobility and he and his wife moved to sheltered accommodation in Aberdeenshire. Tony contrived to enjoy life to the end and had visited a local flower show only days before his death.
F. J. G. MARLEY (1938) aged 82. At Haileybury John Marley played tennis and rugby fives for the school before coming to Queens' to read Modern Languages and to play in the College hockey, squash and tennis teams. He was a Kangaroo, was awarded a Fenner's Colour for tennis and elected to the Hawks Club. A member of many University Societies, he also took part in the first and only Oxford v Cambridge London to Brighton Walk. His studies were interrupted by the War, during which his work with the Hadfield Spears Friends Ambulance Unit for the First Free French Division was distinguished and for which service he was awarded the Croix de Guerre. Sympathetic, smiling, friendly and fluent in French, John was a favourite with patients. He was with the Unit in the Middle East, across North Africa, and in Italy and Alsace. Later he was engaged on relief work in Austria where his fluency in German was particularly useful. On returning to Cambridge he obtained a Special, with Distinction in German. He began his career by conducting coach tours abroad and went on to demonstrate heating equipment at Trade Fairs throughout Europe, before becoming a salesman of anti-static material, though he was always available for translation work. An enthusiastic member of Guildford Golf Club, John will be remembered with affection as one of the worldís worst timekeepers and a gentleman of great character.
The 1939 Cambridge 'London to brighton' Walking Team. F. J. G. Marley back row left
G. D. H. E. MASSY (1940) aged 80. Born into an Anglo-Irish family with a distinguished military record, Godfrey Massy came to Queens' from Bryanston School to read English and History, was involved in music and sport and was captain of the College squash team in 1942. He then entered the Civil Service and later worked for a time for the Iraq Petroleum Company. A man of many interests and an avid concert and opera goer, his deep love of music led to a vast collection of rare musical recordings and a legacy of some 2000 reel to reel tapes. During the fifties he wrote the synopses on the backs of EMI 33 LP records, for each of which he received £5. An abiding interest in military history stemmed naturally from his family background and, on one occasion, he was known to have spoken for two hours, giving an extempore and detailed analysis of the French Army's tank deployment in the Battle for France in 1940. Interested in and knowledgeable about ships, engines and paintings, Godfrey could talk at length about the colour schemes, rake of funnels and types of engines of ocean liners. Inevitably he was a keen collector of model soldiers, railway engines, ships and cars. Well-versed in all the arts and especially in architecture, he was above all devoted to poetry and wrote some 500 poems of which two were published. Godfrey belonged to the Prayer Book Society, The East Suffolk Travellers' Association and the Poetry Society. He also supported many charities.
W. van't HOFF, MB, BChir, FRCP (1941) aged 77. Born in England the son of Dutch parents from distinguished families, Walter van't Hoff was the great nephew of the Nobel Laureate, Jacob Hendricus van't Hoff, and a descendant of Peter Cornelius Hooft, the most brilliant exponent of Dutch Renaissance literature. He first attended school in Switzerland where the family mainly resided until 1939, but the van't Hoffs were in England throughout the War and Walter attended Bryanston School before coming to Queens' where he read Natural Sciences and was one of the founder members of the Bats. Despite call up by the Free Dutch Army he was determined to pursue a career in medicine and became a British citizen at 21. He qualified as a doctor at Guy's Hospital in 1946 and worked there and at the Brompton and Westminster Hospital until his appointment in 1956 as a Research Fellow in Endocrinology at Harvard University. Appointed Consultant Physician in General Medicine and Endocrinology to the North Staffordshire Hospital Group in 1962, Walter developed a thriving metabolic unit and research laboratory and, together with several colleagues, established an excellent Post-Graduate Medical Teaching Centre. Elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in 1971, he later served on its Council. He was also a Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine (President of its Endocrine Section) and became a member of the Association of Physicians in 1975. He published many papers on Clinical Medicine and Endocrinology and was one of the pioneers of Clinical Audit, concerned with the assessment of patients' treatment and care and the need for good management. From boyhood Walter enjoyed a lifelong interest in sailing and skiing. During his National Service with the British Army of the Rhine in 1948, he joined the British Army Ski Team and was part of the Great Britain Ski Team in 1949. Other abiding interests were photography, music and the opera. Sadly, in the mid-nineties, Walter became deaf and developed ataxia, both of which restricted the enjoyment of his interests and created a feeling of isolation. He bore the ataxia with stoicism in spite of the numerous fractures to which it gave rise.
A. V. DUNLOP, MB, BChir (1946) aged 73. Alastair Dunlop came to Queens' from Eastbourne School to read Medicine and went on to qualify at Westminster Hospital. A keen and able athlete, he particularly enjoyed playing rugby at College and in subsequent years, until injury shortened his playing career. After qualifying he joined the Royal Navy and served with HMS Glory in the Mediterranean and Indian Ocean, followed by house appointments at Eastbourne and St Mary Abbots Hospitals. In 1956 he joined the general practice in Cobham, where he worked tirelessly and with great dedication for 32 years. During his successful career he lectured to the Red Cross and was Medical Officer to Cobham Cottage Hospital, Schiff Hospital and the Yehudi Menuhin School. Alastair was a keen horticulturalist from childhood and was devoted to his garden and allotments throughout his working life. Sharply observant and endowed with a lively sense of humour, he was a delightful companion. His retirement was marred by Parkinson's Disease which he bore with courage and without complaint.
The Rt Revd D. G. Hawker (1946) aged 81. Dennis Hawker came from Lewisham and went to Addey and Stanhope Grammar School. On leaving school he joined the staff of Lloyds Bank, but in 1940, he volunteered for service in the Royal Marines was commissioned and served in Egypt, Crete, Ceylon and India. He came up to Queens' in 1946 and, on graduation, went to Cuddesdon Theological College. From 1950 he was Curate of St Maryís, Folkestone and from 1953 Vicar of St Markís, South Norwood. In 1960 he was appointed St Hugh's Missioner in the Diocese of Lincoln, travelling extensively in this largely rural area to encourage witness and an outward-looking ministry. In 1964 he became a Canon of Lincoln and was elected as a Proctor in Convocation. After a spell as Vicar of St Mary's and St James's, Grimsby, he was appointed suffragan Bishop of Grantham. Whilst at Grimsby he was much involved in the Mission to Seafarers and support of the fishing fleet. As a bishop his no-nonsense approach made him an efficient administrator and problem-solver. After serving for 15 years as suffragan in the Diocese of Lincoln, he retired to the Norwich Diocese and was particularly active chairing the Hunstanton Housing Association for people with special needs.
Sir Derek BIRLEY (1948) aged 75. A Yorkshireman through and through, Derek Birley was brought up in Kirkby, Pontefract, and went to Hemsworth Grammar School. He read English at Queens' and, on graduation, served for four years in the Royal Artillery. In 1955 he began a career in education administration as an administrative assistant to Leeds Education Committee. He then served as Assistant Education Officer first of Dorset, then of Lancashire, before his appointment as Deputy Director of Education for the City of Liverpool in 1964. Then in 1970 he became Rector of the new Ulster College at Jordanstown, near Belfast. The 1964 Lockwood Report had envisioned Ulster College as essentially a technician training establishment, offering no degree courses. Birley set out to obtain polytechnic status for his College in the teeth of Northern Irish Governmental opposition. A formidable figure, both intellectually and physically, he argued his case with characteristic relish. Ulster Polytechnic duly came into being, but, under pressure from London, by now responsible for education in the Province, it was soon amalgamated with the struggling New University of Ulster at Coleraine. Derek Birley became the first Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ulster in 1983. Under his leadership the new university developed a wide variety of degree and other courses, established a chair of Women's Studies and particularly developed the Magee Campus in Derry, a previously neglected part of the Province in higher education terms. He retired to Coventry where his wife was pro-Vice-Chancellor of Coventry University and then to Johannesburg on her appointment as Vice-Chancellor of Witwatersrand. Throughout his life Derek Birley was a passionate devotee of sport. He wrote many books, notably a vividly-written, three volume history of sport in Britain, packed with anecdote and dry wit. His greatest love was cricket and his The Willow Wand (1979) and The Social History of English Cricket (1999) are widely held to be among the best books on the game. He had no time for discrimination whether it was between 'gentlemen' and 'players' or the north and the south in cricket or on the grounds of gender, religion or social status in Northern Ireland. The new Derek Birley Learning Resource Centre at Jordanstown has been named in his memory.
M R. SMITH (1949) aged 73. Maurice Smith, educated at Silcoates School in Yorkshire, did his National Service in Kenya before coming to Queens' to read Natural Sciences. He rowed for the College and was an active member of 'Congsoc' (the Congregationalist Society). On graduation he joined Imperial Smelting at Avonmouth, near Bristol, as a shift supervisor on the lead and zinc smelter, and remained with that Company throughout his working life. In 1966 Maurice was seconded to a team appointed to commission a new smelter in Romania, a posting for which he was particularly fitted because of his experience as a process operator, as a much respected trainer of men, and as an able linguist. In consequence he became involved in the international side of the firm's business in Yugoslavia, Poland, Germany and elsewhere and so developed a deep affection for Eastern Europe and its people.
K. A. BYRES (1950) aged 69. Keith Byres came to Queens' from Loughborough School to read Natural Sciences and then joined ICI working in this country, India and America. After a successful career with ICI spanning many years he decided to work on systems and management, implementing computer systems, and eventually, using his considerable mathematical and statistical skills, became an executive of a specialist insurance company. Keith then changed career once again to run a successful family business dealing with educational books.
M. F. COLLETT, TD, FIA (1953) aged 69. Michael Collett came to Queens' from Whitgift School, Croydon, to read Mathematics, before joining the Equity and Law Life Assurance Society as an actuary. He was President of Warwick and Avon Rotary Club 1981/82, of Birmingham Actuarial Society 1982/83, and of Coventry Chamber of Commerce 1986/88. He was also a Director of the Chamber Development Association, British Chambers of Commerce 1988/90. Michael joined the Territorial Army in 1956 and retired in 1974 with the rank of Major (Company Commander 6/7 Queen's Regiment). He was a member of the Army and Navy Club and Secretary of the London and Kent Artillery Trust. His leisure interests were philately and classical music but he was also drawn to public service as a member of the Board of Governors of Coventry University and of the John Shelton School as well as being a co-opted member of the Coventry Local Education Authority.
A. D. MAIN (1956) aged 67. Alexander Main came to Queens' from Chatham House Grammar School on a College Scholarship and read Mechanical Sciences. On graduating he joined Philips and was initially involved in the early development of the application of silicon chips to computer memories. He was Technical Director of Philips Traffic Systems based in Cambridge when, after 25 years with the firm, he moved to the Department of Transport. There he was responsible for the traffic systems of much of Greater London. He retired in 1995 and devoted his time to Roman archaeology, early music and community affairs in the village of Stilton. Ever grateful for his scholarship award, Alexander's charity contributions were mainly in support of Queens'. On his sudden death, therefore, his family felt it appropriate to invite his friends to make donations in his memory to Queens' Hardship Fund.
The Hon. Judge Professor E. A. LAING Jr, LLB, LLM (1961) aged 59. Edward Laing distinguished himself as Head Boy at Wesley College, Belize City, before coming to Queens' on a Belize Open Scholarship to read Law. He graduated in 1964 and went on to take a LLB degree, before returning to Belize to work as an assistant magistrate and Crown Counsel. In 1967 he went to Columbia University on a Fulbright travel grant and, in 1968, qualified for a Master's degree in International Law. After a short period as an associate with a firm of lawyers in New York, Eddie took up private law practice in Belize in 1969. However, when the new Faculty of Law (of which he was a founder member) was established in the University of the West Indies, Barbados, he succumbed to his great interest in academic law and became a lecturer there in 1970. In the United States from 1974 until 1996, he taught commercial law, international law, international trade and business law and the law of the sea as Assistant Professor of Law at Notre Dame University, Indiana, as Associate Professor of Law at the University of Maryland, Baltimore, as Professor of Law and Director of the Law School Graduate Program at Howard University, Washington, and as Professor of Law at the New York Law School. From 1985 to 1990 Eddie was also the Ambassador of Belize to the United States, High Commissioner to Canada and Permanent Representative to the Organisation of American States. As Ambassador he was instrumental in negotiating a border treaty between Belize and Guatemala. Simultaneously he served as a negotiator for CARICOM countries on policy matters with the United States. As Permanent Representative of Belize to the United Nations from 1993 to 1997 he devoted his considerable energy to Security Council reform and served on various committees to enhance inter-regional governance and intellectual property law in the Caribbean, to develop international standards for violence and child pornography in the media, and to establish a UN High Commissioner for Human Rights. Eddie participated in several world conferences and was elected with the highest number of votes to the first tenure of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea. He served on this distinguished court of 21 jurists in Hamburg, Germany, until his death. Despite his frequent travels, Eddie was actively involved in community affairs. He was a founding president of the New York Belizean Committee and a founding president of the Consortium for Belizean Development of the United States and Canada. In addition he was actively associated with a wide range of important and influential bodies and published many papers and articles on a variety of topics relating to the law, human rights and self-determination, as well as on issues affecting the Caribbean. Rarely has one man served his country in so many different capacities with such sterling ease and grace. His legal career was illustrious, his contribution to the concept of a Caribbean community inspirational, his statesmanship impressive, and his international legal achievements imposing. Tennis, reading, family excursions, world music (he was an accomplished steel band player), conversation and nightly BBC were his interests. Securely tethered in the teachings of the Methodist church and a devoted family man, "Judge Eddie", as he was affectionately known, will be remembered for his dry wit, his humility, his sense of service and most of all, for his humanity. He died suddenly while visiting his beloved Belize.
A. J. ADDLESEE, PhD (1962) aged 58. Alistair 'Jack' Addlesee came to Queens' from Bradford Grammar School to read Mechanical Sciences and then joined ICI, firstly as a technical officer at Billingham and then as plant manager at Sevenoaks. In 1968 he began his academic life in Edinburgh and, after obtaining his PhD at Heriot-Watt University, he became a lecturer and, later, a senior lecturer specialising in fluid mechanics in the Department of Mechanical Engineering there. Apart from six months' sabbatical leave during which he enjoyed a short-term position at the University of Natal in Durham, South Africa, Alistair was, for 33 years, one of the formative influences in mechanical engineering teaching and research at Heriot-Watt. He was Deputy Head of Department for ten years, Mechanical Engineering Course Co-Ordinator from time to time and, latterly, Chair of the Departmental Recruitment Committee. His research was deeply founded in the mechanical engineering tradition of Heriot Watt and his overall contribution to his subject and his university was immeasurable. Possessed of a pleasant demeanour and calm competence, respected and popular with students and staff, his advice was sought by newly-appointed staff and heads of department alike. Alistair loved his life in Scotland and enjoyed walking in the mountains locally and in the Highlands. A keen 'Munroist', he was only a few short of completing the 284 climbs. He died suddenly at home. His son, Robert, came to Queens' in 1989.
Mrs H. F. Suggett née HAINES (1985) aged 35. Born in England, Hilary was six months old when her family emigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada. She attended school there before becoming a boarder at Howells School, Denbigh, at the age of eleven. Gifted academically, especially in languages, she came to Queens' after achieving the necessary A-level results at sixteen and spending a gap year as an au pair in Switzerland. Hilary read Archaeology and Anthropology, specialising in Social Anthropology. An enthusiastic member of the College choir she took part in several choir tours and a recording and also served as Chapel Clerk. Following graduation, Hilary spent two years studying Law and two years as a trainee in London to qualify as a solicitor. She first worked in Bournemouth, specialising in Family Law, before returning to London where she dealt with cases involving large financial settlements or cases with an international dimension, becoming well-versed in Family Law abroad. She was frequently engaged on jurisdictional disputes. She finally became senior solicitor in the family department of the Hertfordshire firm of Taylor Walton. In 2000 Hilary developed an inoperable cancer which did not respond initially to chemotherapy, though later treatment with a new drug seemed to reduce the cancer with minimal side effects. She was freed from pain and able to lead a virtually normal life, returning to work part-time and resuming voluntary work with Church groups and South Refugee Support. Tragically, the cancer became active again in June 2002 and, in spite of further chemotherapy, spread out of control. Hillary had no fear of death and bore tremendous suffering with grace and fortitude. Always hopeful yet realistic, she made the most of the time her treatment left available to her.
J. A. SCHICKLER (1999) aged 25. Jonael Schickler was born in Switzerland of Anglo-German parentage, but had lived in England from an early age. He was brought up in Sussex and attended the Michael Hall School, a Rudolf Steiner school, before matriculating at Sidney Sussex College in 1995. He graduated three years later with a first in Philosophy and, after a year in Berlin, came to Queens' in 1999 as a research student in the Divinity Faculty. Jonael was passionate about philosophy and was an inspiring supervisor, already appointed Director of Studies in Philosophy at Hughes Hall. His thesis on "Metaphysics as Christology: an odyssey of the self from Kant and Hegel to Rudolf Steiner" was finished a few days before his death and represented the first part of an ambitious academic project which he had hoped would contribute to a new understanding of the potential of philosophy. His supervisors described him as 'enormously promising' and 'intellectually very gifted'. Though passionately serious and possessed of a deep spirituality, he seemed to have boundless energy. Jonael had many friends and always had time for other people. He played basketball for the College and was an accomplished cellist. He was also a regular night shift helper at Jimmy's Night Shelter in Cambridge. He was tragically killed in the Potters Bar train crash.
The Third Year Dinner Reception. Photo: Jet Photographic, the Cambridge Studio, by kind permission