Millard Fillmore House
Northeast corner of Niagara Square at Delaware Ave., Buffalo, NY
History of the site:
1831 - Original house on the site: Albert H. Tracey House (moved down Niagara St.)
1853 - Second house: John Hollister House
1858 - House purchased by Millard Fillmore
1881 - Fillmore House converted into Hotel Fillmore
1901 - Hotel Fillmore converted into Castle Inn
1919 - Castle Inn razed in to make way for Hotel Statler (in 2002, the Statler Towers)
For more informtion about Millard Fillmore, see Millard Fillmore:
A Chronology of Important Events in His Life
Postcard of the Fillmore House
Another postcard of the Fillmore House
Drawing of the Fillmore House
Albert H. Tracey House
The Albert H. Tracey home preceded the Hollister house. Tracey was a a member of Congress in 1823 and later a state senator. Hollister bought the property in 1831. The Tracey house was later moved down Niagara St. to become a Unitarian parsonage.
John Hollister House
On the east side of Delaware Avenue where it leaves the north side of Niagara Square stood the grandest of Buffalo's Gothic homes, the John Hollister house. Hollister was one of several enterprising brothers who owned, among other types of businesses, a chain of checkerboard painted stores extending from central New York into Ohio. He erected his house, which resembled the Gothic designs of the eminent A. J. Davis, in 1852 and resided there until 1858. Hollister lost it when the 1858 depression swept away his holdings and Fillmore bought it.
In that year the dwelling was bought by Millard Fillmore, who came to live there several years after his presidency. Millard Fillmore bought the house for himself and his second wife, Carolyn McIntosh, deciding that his home at 180 Franklin was not grand enough for an ex-President.
John Quincy Adams, Abraham Lincoln, and Commodore Perry are among the famous Fillmore guests. Fillmore lived here until his death in 1874.
After Fillmore's death, the sons merged the house with the former M.S. Hawley home to become the Hotel Fillmore.
The hotel achieved prominence during the Pan-American Exposition.
In 1901 The Fillmore Hotel was renovated and renamed the Castle Inn.
The Castle Inn was demolished to make way for the Statler Hotel.
Reprint of a Buffalo Courier newspaper advertisement from May 5, 1901
Formerly Hotel Fillmore
A hundred room have been added to the Tudor Gothic mansion, once the palatial home of President Millard Fillmore, and the castellated character of the addition makes the name of Castle Inn singularly appropriate. At the recent formal opening all the guest rooms were open for inspection and the elegance and brightness of the new furnishing, together with the fine old furniture, rare and interesting articles of virtu from Old World, fine paintings and costly bric-a-brac formed an ensemble that places the Castle Inn among the unique and special hostelries of the world.
Comfort and beauty are the two ideals of the house, and they are here united to a rare degree. The commodious halls are carpeted and bung in red. The spacious new office has a deep wainscot of white enamel and the walls of sea green are beautifully decorated by the Italian artist Pascarella. The buffet is magnificently fitted up and is in charge of an experienced caterer. The Moorish dining room will seat 100 guests. Another, in Flemish style, with rare old blue Delft and Dresden china on the old Dutch chimney place, has for mural decorations scenes from the Rhine in Pascarella's best style. The finest Dresden china, silver and glass are used in the table service in the Inn.
The new rooms are large and en suite; twenty- five of them have private bath, seventy-five have hot and cold running water.
The large ground area ( 17,400 square feet) insures ample space, light and air for the lofty rooms.
The Castle Inn fronts on Niagara Square, beautiful with forest trees and flowers, and yet is only a three-minute walk from the most crowded section of Main Street. Wide verandas, beautifully shaded, extended across the front and for three stories above the entrance on Delaware Avenue.
During the Pan-American Exposition a tally-ho will leave the Castle Inn daily at 10 a.m for the Exposition by way of Delaware Avenue, with a detour through North Street to the Lake Erie and the Niagara River front, with a view of Canada.
Electric cars pass constantly through Niagara Square to every part of the city and to Niagara Falls.