Home | Events | Location | Education | Shop | Vehicles | Weapons
Please note that the weapons listed are not on display at the Museum
A modified Goryunov SG 43, which appeared during World War 2 and has replaced the Maxim M1910 water cooled gun in the Soviet Army. The older model (SG 43) is apparently still in service in the USSR along with this one. The original Guryunov had a wheeled mount that could be fitted with a shield. This modernised model appeared with two mounts, a wheeled mount and a light tripod mount. As a matter of interest, it should be noted that the Soviets use the term 'Ruchnoi', which means hand, for light machine guns, and the term 'Stankovy', which means mounted, ie a gun on a mount.
Although essentially a modified Revelli Model 1914, many of these Model 35 are actually converted model 1914, but some are of new manufacture. This was not a successful gun and it was in fact worse than Model 1914. Unlike the Model 1914, it fires from a closed bolt with resultant cookoffs after periods of sustained fire. This gun earned the nickname of 'Knuckle-buster' because of the hazardous proposition of clearing the gun with a cartridge in a hot barrel. Needless to say, the weapon is no longer in service.
Produced by FA since the early twenties, this is the equivalent of a light machine gun. Prior to World War 2 the Model 30 was manufactured in the greatest quantity at the Fabrique Nationale D'armes de Guerre of Herstal in Belgium. These weapons were used by many countries throughout the world.
There are actually four basic Browning Automatic Rifles (BAR) which have been officially adopted by the United States. This Model 1918 has no bipod, is capable of selective fire and is relatively light (16 lbs;, 7 kg) compared with later models. A simple tube type flash hider is used. There is no shoulder support strap hinged to the butt-plate and the rear sight and butt-plate are similar to those of the 1917 Enfield Rifle.
The Hotchkiss is a basic weapon, with the French type being heavy and unwieldy. This one, of 7 mm Calibre, was used in Spain.
Another product of Fabrique Nationale D'Armes de Guerre, these were produced for Poland. Polish Browning guns are basically the same as those used by the United States.
United States Forces used this weapon during World War 1, purchasing 15,988 in 8 mm and 19,641 in .30 inch calibre. The latter were made specifically for the United States Army and have a straight 16 round box magazine rather than the crescent shaped magazine required by the rim and taper of the French 8 mm cartridge. The gun was adopted by Belgium in 7.65 mm form after World War 1 and by Greece, where it was called the Gladiator in 8 mm Lebel. The Americans called it the 'Shosho', whereas the English call it the Chauchard.
Called an Automatic Rifle by the French and used as the Squad Automatic Weapon, it had extensive combat use and is a very popular weapon with French troops. The basic design, except for the top mounted magazine and the double trigger, is quite similar to the US Browning Automatic Rifle Model 1918. The original Model 1924 was issued chambered for the 7.5 mm Model 24 cartridge. When the cartridge was shortened, the machine gun was modified to chamber the new cartridge and redesignated Model 1924 M29. This weapon may be found in any of the former French colonies or mandates.
One of many variations of the Madsen machine guns, which have been among the most popular in the world since their introduction in the early 1900s. These guns are expensive to manufacture and require quality ammunition for reliability of function. These factors limited its use amongst the major powers during the World Wars. In 1926 Madsen produced a water cooled model, a quantity of which were sold to Chile. Madsen machine guns have been sold to 34 different countries in a dozen different calibres. One model was made for the Dutch East Indies Forces, which were captured and used by the Japanese.
The first originally developed Soviet machine gun which appeared in 1926. The prefix 'DP' indicates a 'Degtyarev' machine gun for infantry use. There was also a 'DT' version for use in tanks and a 'DA' for use in aircraft. The 'DT' model may still be found on older Soviet armoured vehicles in the Soviet satellites.
The same as the Browning Automatic Rifle (Weapon No 129), but manufactured in Poland during the German occupation in 1940 with only one or two design changes in design.
Detail as for Weapon No 137.
Detail as for Weapon No 161.
An air-cooled rebuild of an old World War 1 Dreyse MG15 water-cooled machine gun. It entered service with the German Army in 1932, but by 1938 most of these guns, known as the MG13, were sold off to Portugal. Some, however, remained and were used in small numbers by various second-line units. Others cropped up on the second-hand market. From this latter source some were obtained by Russia and others were used by various resistance forces.
Top of Page
REME Museum of Technology Home Page
Email Enquiries or telephone 0118 976 3375 for further information
Page produced by Peter Eldred - Last updated 3 August 2004