round 1890 a New Yorker, Henry T. Mayham, convinced the Denver Presbytery to build a
Presbyterian University on land that he owned on Crown Point, the highest point in what was then Arapaho
rchitect E.B. Gregory drew up plans for the main building and the cornerstone was laid in 1891. However,
funds were scarce in the years prior to the depression of 1893, and construction did not begin as anticipated.
ayham persuaded his friend Stanford White, a New York architect, to redesign the main building. White's
plans called for a three-story structure to be built from red sandstone quarried in Colorado's Red Rocks region.
ayham continued to solicit funds for the project in the east as well as in Colorado. Maxcy Tabor, son of
Augusta and H.A.W. Tabor, contributed $106, 060 from his mother's estate to the college. Another $100,000
endowment came from an unidentified eastern woman with the stipulation that the money only be used for a
Presbyterian School patterned after Princeton University.
he school was incorporated as Westminster University of Colorado and, according to its founders, was to be
the "Princeton of the West." Classes began at the Crown Point location in September of 1908 with one year's
tuition costing $50. In 1915 the board of trustees decided to change the coed University to an all-male school.
In 1917 all of the students went to fight in World War I and the college had to close its doors.
he school was sold to the Pillar of Fire Church in 1920. The Church established an Elementary School, High
School, Junior College and Bible Seminary during the following decade. In 1925 the name was changed to
Belleview College and Preparatory School. The Belleview facility is still owned and operated by the Pillar of
Fire Church. The large red sandstone building still stands on Crown Point and can be seen from most of the Denver metro area, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
n 1911, Harris voted to incorporate as a city. At that time, the name was changed from Harris to
Westminster, in honor of Westminster University.