Bookies react quickly to Tour scandal
Valverde, Vinokourov emerge as favorites
This report filed June 30, 2006
Internet odds makers quickly reacted to Friday's news that top riders Ivan Basso (CSC), Jan Ullrich (T-Mobile) and Francisco Mancebo (Ag2r) have been excluded from the Tour de France by their respective teams after being named as suspects in the ongoing Spanish doping investigation, known as Operación Puerto.
Liège-Bastogne-Liège winner, Alejandro Valverde (Caisse d'Épargne-Illes Balears) and Astaná-Würth's Alexandre Vinokourov emerged as the two favorites, given odds of seven-to-two to wear the yellow jersey into Paris on July 23, while Amercans Levi Leipheimer (Gerolsteiner) and Floyd Landis (Phonak) follow at seven-to-one.
Internet Bookmakers' odds for Tour de France
(As of 5:00 p.m. Friday)
- Alejandro Valverde (ILL) -7/2
- Alexandre Vinokourov (Wur) -7/2
- Levi Leipheimer (Ger) -7/1
- Floyd Landis (Pho) -7/1
- Cadel Evans (Dav) -10/1
- Yaroslav Popovych (Dis) -12/1
- Paolo Savoldelli (Dis) -20/1
- Andreas Kloden (T-M) -20/1
- Michael Rasmussen (Rab) -25/1
- Denis Menchov (Rab) -25/1
- George Hincapie (Dis) -25/1
- Iban Mayo (Eus) -25/1
- Jose Azevedo (Dis) -25/1
- Christophe Moreau (Ag2) -33/1
Click here to email this page to a friend.