Our city's largest airport, George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), joined the Houston Airport System in June 1969.
Bush Intercontinental is located approximately 23 miles north of downtown Houston, near the Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8 North)
The airport is operated and maintained by the City of Houston Department of Aviation. The Houston Airport System functions as an enterprise fund and does not burden the local tax base for airport operations, maintenance or capital improvements.
Welcome to George Bush Intercontinental Airport
© Houston Airport System
- » More than 10,000 acres.
- » IAH currently ranks 3rd in the United States among U.S. airports with scheduled non-stop domestic and international service (over 181 destinations).
- » 39.7 million passengers through IAH in 2005 and 48 million passengers through IAH and HOU.
- » Nearly 800 daily departures at IAH.
- » With 30 destinations in Mexico, IAH offers service to more Mexican destinations than any other US airport.
- » 9th busiest airport in the U.S. for total passengers (from ACI-NA, 2005 N. Amer. Traffic Report).
- » 6th busiest airport in the world for total aircraft movements (ACI-NA World Traffic Report 2005).
- » 7th largest international passenger gateway in the nation (ACI-NA World Traffic Report 2005).
- » 20 passenger airlines. [ more info ]
- » 5 passenger terminals. [ more info ]
- » Terminal E for international travelers. [ more info ]
- » 14 all-cargo airlines at IAH, handled more than 751 million pounds of cargo in 2005. [ more info ]
- » Houston headquartered Continental Airlines largest hub with over 700 daily departures.
- » New FAA air traffic control tower.
- » Underground inter-terminal passenger train to all terminals and the airport hotel.
- » New Terminal Link above ground inter-terminal passenger train between terminals B, C, D and E.
- » New $440 million, 880,000 sq. foot Terminal E and Federal Inspection Services (FIS) with 84 primary inspection booths that can process over 4,500 passengers per hour.
- » Free shuttle to and from Parking Cents, the official on-airport value lot.
- » Marriott Hotel on the airport.
- » 24-hour mail facility.
- » More than 550,000 sq. ft. of cargo space in the new IAH CargoCenter.
- » More than 23,000 parking spaces.
- » Ground transportation services to downtown Houston.
- » Two fixed-base operators on the airport.
- » Consolidated car rental facility.
||12,000 feet by 150 feet
||R/W 33 ILS Category I |
||10,000 feet by 150 feet
||R/W 27 - ILS Category I/III |
||9,400 feet by 150 feet
||R/W 26 - ILS Category I/III |
||10,000 feet by 150 feet
||R/W 15 - ILS Category I |
||9000 feet by 150 feet
||R/W 26 ILS Category III |
Navigational aids and other FAA-operated facilities which include:
- » Instrument Landing System for each major runway.
- » Airport Surveillance Radar.
- » Other highly sophisticated navigational aids and lighting systems for all runways.
- » Low Level Alert Wind Shear System.
- » Doppler radar to enhance weather prediction.
- » Aircraft rescue and firefighting facility meet current FAA safety standards.
- » Runway 8L/26R - utilizes LED Taxiway Edge Light Fixtures.
- » Three parallel Category III runways at IAH permit triple independent simultaneous all-weather flight operations.