Fishing Glossary
Fishing Venue Guide
Your Views!
News Features
Coarse Reports
News & Reports

News & Reports

Record Fish Weights
World Championship
Welsh Clubs and
My Story
My Angling Tips
Product Revue
My Match News
My Tuition
Clive Branson

Clive Branson's
Video Collection

Clive Branson's
Float Encyclopedia

Clive Branson's
Fishing Guide
to Wales and the Borders

Fishing Glossary

Basic Terms

Advanced Terms 
To begin with just some basic terms;
a simple A-Z of fishing terminology for the absolute beginner!


Adjustable bankstick:

A bankstick that has a sliding insert that allows you to change the height.

Anti tangle lead:

Similar to an in-line lead but has a long length of silicone tubing either side of the lead weight to protect the line from abrasion.


A flavour additive that is used with or part of the bait, or mixed into the groundbait.   Typical flavours can be sweet or spicy.

                Arsley Bomb:

                                 A pear shape ledger developed by the late Dick Walker


Back leads:

A small device used to force your line down to the bottom.  It is a small lead weight that is tethered to a stick pushed into your bank.  The lead has a small open clip at the top on which you push over your line. The weight is then dropped down under the water, pulling the line down with it.   When a fish strikes, the line pulls up and out of the open clip.

Back shot:

A back shot is a piece of shot placed on the line behind a float to help it remain steady in windy conditions.  The piece of shot is usually placed about 20 cm's away from the float tip.  It may be necessary to use a piece of shot from the float rig so it doesn't sink.

Bait dropper:

A device used to drop groundbait right down to the bottom of your swim.  It is basically a cage that, when lowered down to the bottom, has a latch that is pushed up and opens the cage door, letting the bait fall out.

Bait rocket:

A device tied onto the end of your line.  It is filled with boilies or other particle bait, and cast out over your swim.   When the device hits the water, it flips upside down and empties out any of the stuff inside.

Baitrunner reel:

A special design open face, rear drag reel that has a lever at the back.  This allows you to set the spool so line can be pulled out by fish freely.  When activated, it activates your normal drag mechanism.   Very handy when ledgering for big fish out far. 

Balling up:

This is when you make balls of groundbait and throw them in great quantity into your swim. . 


A stainless steel or aluminium rod that has a threaded end, so you can attach a rod rest, keepnet or bait alarm.  The other end is pushed into the ground.  It is very similar to a 'Y' shaped stick.  The fishing rod lays on top of the rod rest.    Use two so that your rod is held at the right position.

Barbless hooks:

Hooks that are made without a barb. 


Beads are useful for many things.   They are small plastic or rubber balls with a hole through the centre.  They can be used for buffering leads and things in rigs.

Bite alarms:

These are electronic units that detect the speed and movement of your line.  They have a buzzer that 'beeps' at you when the line moves. These are usually used in combination with a buzz bar.


These are domed tents that have a large opening at the front so that you can fish from under them. 


A blank can be two things.   The first term describes what the main part of a rod is.  It is the long flexible length that has guides and a handle added to make the completed 'rod'. The other is a horrible day when you do not catch any fish at all.

Block end feeders:

This type of feeder has its ends covered, and a few holes around the body. This helps to control the speed at which the groundbait falls out.  Maggots are the main type of bait used in this type of feeder.


                                 The Bloodworm is the larva of the midge fly. Used as a hook bait.

Bodied waggler:

Bodied wagglers have a buoyant bulb near the bottom of the float that increases the amount of shot needs to set it.  The advantage of using them is that that exaggerate the float tip movement when a fish takes the bait.


Boilies are small round balls of man made bait.  These can be made with different ingredients and flavour additives.   

Boilie hair stops:

Boilies work best when placed onto a hair rig.  To keep the boilies on the hair rig, you can use something called a boilie hair stop.  This is simply a small piece of plastic with bulbs at each end.  Sort of like a small dumbbell.  You can use a bit of grass to do the same thing. 

Boilie needle:

Hair rigs require something for the bait to be put on with.  This can be done with a boilie needle.  This is basically a needle that has had one side of the eye removed,   making a small hook.  You put the boilies or whatever bait you want to use onto this needle.  You then hook the hair rig loop onto the needle and pull the bait down onto the hair.  Put a bit of grass or boilie stop to hold the bait on and you have it all set.

Boilie rolling table:

Boilie rolling tables are something that can be used to make lots of boilies at once.  It's basically a table that has lots grooves lined up next to each other.  The boilie mix is rolled into long sausages and places across the grooves.  A lid is pushed down on the sausage so it squeezes down into the grooves, then you push and pull the lid and the boilie mix is rolled into even balls.  These boilies can either be left to be air-dried, boiled or microwave. 

Boilie throwing stick:

Throwing sticks are about a foot long and have a slightly curved, channelled end at the top.  Boilies are placed into this channel.  You hold it with one hand so that the bend and channel opening are pointing forwards.  To use one, you have to swing it slowly above your shoulder so it is resting above and behind you.  You then swing it over the shoulder, out towards the water in front of you.  This throws the boilies into your swim.  You can get phenomenal distances with these, and they come in different lengths for different distances


Braided line, or braid for short is made up with strong yet supple fibres.  It is used primarily as very strong hooklength material when targeting big carp.  It has the advantage of blending into the bottom and to be very softly felt on fishes lips. 

Bread crumb:

Bread crumb is simply ground up bread.  This is the best and cheapest base for any groundbait.  You can use either white or brown bread crumb.  Fresh ground bread is by far the best version.   It is very fluffy and clouds the water very well.  You can use bags of crumb but the best results are if this is moistened the night before.  If it is moistened on the bank, allow some time for it to absorb any water so it sinks correctly.

Bread flake:

Bread flake is piece of cut or torn bread that is pinched onto the hook

Bread punch:

A bread punch is a small hand held implement that has a circular 'punch' at the end.  This is pushed down onto a slice of bread and a bit of it is cut out.  This bit of bread is placed onto the hook.   There are many different sizes of punches for different hook sizes.

Breaking Strain:

The point at which the fishing line breaks.



Bulk Shot:

When the shot that goes onto the line is put together in a group. 


Bungs are used inside a pole.  They are a small conical piece of plastic that fits inside the second or third section of a pole.  They are used as an anchor to hold the end of elastics.

Buzz bar:

A buzz bar designed to attach to a rod pod.  It is simply a horizontal bar that screws onto the top of a rod pod.  One goes on the front and one on the rear.   Buzz bars have screw in attachments which allow you to screw in multiple rod rests.   You can have bars that allow for two, three or four rods on the one rod pod.  This lets you to fish with many rods in one position on the bank.  Electronic bite alarms and swing indicators are usually used on buzz bars and Rod pods.  These indicators are connected directly onto the buzz bar, on the side closest to the water when fishing.


Cammo leads:

Cammo leads have a painted cover that helps it to blend into the bottom when you are fishing.   This can help to hide it from wary fish.

Canal stool:

A canal stool is really a smaller version of a seat box.  It is basically a cushioned seat that has four height adjustable legs at each corner.  It is a very simple but very effective designed seat.

Carbon fibre:

Carbon fibre is a material that is used to make many of today's rods and poles.  It is a very strong and rigid fibre.   The way it is wrapped and weaved gives varying qualities for rods and poles.

Carp bed:

Carp beds are used when you are fishing overnight.  They are basically a comfortable fold up bed, used in bivies.

Carp chairs:

These are reclined and padded fold up chairs. 

Carp controller float:

Controllers are a large weighted float used for surface fishing for carp.  They help you cast out to the right spot, and their size helps control movement on the water surface.

Carp crunchers:

A carp cruncher is a term given to poles that are made to have the strength to fish for, and land double figure carp.  Carp can break light match poles made for much smaller and less vigorous fish.  Carp poles are often heavier than other poles, but improved technology in pole making is producing lighter and stronger poles.  The typical carp pole length is 11 meters, with a 12.5 meter extender.  Carp pole elastics range from size 14 up to size 20. ( Most powerful. )  Size 14 is the minimum recommended size for this type of pole. 

Carp rods:

Carp rods are made to be strong, yet have a good constant test curve.  They are usually around 11 feet long.  The rods are usually made with carbon fibre or with a carbon / fibreglass composition.  They also usually have a fixed, screw reel seat.  The most common test curves for carp rods, are between 1.5 lbs. up to 3.5 lbs.

Carp sack:

Carp sacks are a specialised bag designed to hold a carp in the water in place of a keepnet.  They are made of padded material that is designed not to harm any fish placed in it.  The fish is placed into this sack.  The sack is designed to help keep fish calm by covering the fishes head and eyes.  It is placed back down under the water, and is tethered to the bank.

Carp sling:

This is a specialised sling used for weighing fish.  It is designed to weigh one fish at a time.  The netting used is also designed to reduce the amount of protective slime that is removed from the fish.  These can be a separate sling or incorporated into special carp landing net heads.  These special carp net heads arms are designed to fold up together over the fish.  The net can then be removed and act as the sling.


Casters are the chrysalis form of a maggot.  They are approximately 1 cm long and .5 cm wide.  They are shaped like a rounded capsule.  A casters colour varies between light and dark brown


Catapults are a form of sling shot.  They are used to throw out small amounts of loose bait or groundbait with great accuracy

Catch and Release:

The policy of returning every fish you are not going to eat or use.

Chopped worm:

Chopped worm is simply what it says, bits of worm chopped up into small pieces. 

Chum mixer:

Chum mixer is a type of dog biscuit. 

Coarse fish:

All freshwater fish other than Salmon and Trout are coarse fish. 

Coarse fishing:

Coarse fishing is advanced freshwater fishing.  It encompasses many different techniques and methods used to catch coarse fish.  The major techniques classified under coarse fishing are;  Ledgering, Float fishing, Pole fishing, Whip fishing, Lure fishing, Bait fishing etc. .


A cocktail is a term given to using two types of bait on the hook at the same time. 


This term is used to describe the use of two or more materials to make a rod or pole.  The two most common types of fibre used are Carbon fibre and Fibreglass.  Carbon fibre is very light and strong but a bit brittle.   Fibreglass is soft but incredibly strong.  These combined can get the best qualities from both materials. 


This is a term given to any tackle or technique favoured in Europe. 


The crease is the area in water where fast moving water meets the slow water. 

Crystal waggler:

Crystal wagglers are normal wagglers that have been made out of transparent plastic.  They often hollow and can bee seen through. 



Deadbait is simply fishing with dead fish.  It is the used to catch predatory fish like Pike, Eel and Zander. .


                A commercial bred hardy worm that is used when fishing

Diamond eye threader:

It is made from thin stainless steel wire.  The wire is shaped as a four sided diamond, with a thin point at the top.  The wire is wrapped into a long length on from the diamond.  The diamond eye treader is used to thread elastic through the top section of poles. 


Disgorger's are a device used to help remove hooks from a fishes mouth

Drop back indicator:

Drop back indicators are a device used to see if a fish is swimming towards you. .




Elastics are used with pole fishing.  They are placed inside the top three sections of a pole tip to help catch fish.  The pole tip is usually cut off and a protective PTFE bush added, so that the elastic can be pulled in and out of the end, without being damaged.   The elastic is threaded into the poles three top sections.  The elastic end at the pole tip is tied onto a Stonfo adaptor.  Elastics come in varying strengths.  The No. of an elastic is the breaking strain in lbs.  They range from No. 1 ( smallest ), to No. 20 ( largest ).  The diameter of the elastic increases as it gets bigger.  Different poles only allow for different elastic sizes.  

Eyed end hooks:

Eyed hooks are the most common designed hooks.  It is a small round wire hole made on the end of a hook that lets you tie your fishing line onto it.



The feeder is usually a small round cylinder about 4 cm's long, and 2 cm's in diameter.  It has a lead strip added to the bottom to give it some weight.  A loop of line is attached to one end so that you can attach it to your rig.   Groundbait or loose feed like maggots can be placed inside the feeder.   Feeders can be designed to only allow a small amount of groundbait to fall out, or made to quickly drop it all once it hits the ground.  Maggot feeders usually have caps on each end and holes over the feeder to allow them to get out.  Cage feeders have no ends, and the cylinder is made like a cage to allow the bait to be released quickly


Fibreglass is a type of material used to make rods and poles with.   It is extremely strong but very soft and very heavy.  Is best used in combination with carbon fibre.

Fishing line: 

It is one of the most important components for fishing  Fishing line comes in many forms and strengths.  The most common type is monofilament line.  This is made from nylon.  More modern lines are being made from perlon and teflon.  These have similar properties as nylon, but have other characteristics like being stronger and thinner.  Braid is included as more people are using it for either their mainline, or as hooklength line.  Braid is made from very strong fibres, and often gives you great line strength with a small line diameter.  

Fixed bankstick:

Fixed banksticks are simply a length of metal rod that has a screw in attachment at one end for you to attach a rod rest or keepnet.


(See Float Fishing Encyclopaedia) There are many types of floats.  Some of these are;   Wagglers, Pole floats and Stick floats.  A float is a buoyant indicator that tells you when a fish has picked up your bait. 

Float fishing:

( See Floats. )  The use of floats to catch fish. You use different floats for different venues, stick floats for rivers and Waggler's for lakes. 

Float rod:

A special designed Fishing rod that is light with a soft or an although action..

Float tip:

Float tips are the top most part of a float.  It is painted with a highly visible paint like fluorescent orange or yellow.  The tip is the only part of the float that is visible above water. .


Floatant is a liquid used to coat line to help it float on top of the water.  It can come in a spray or a liquid form.


Floaties are a term given to any floating bait. 


Forceps are like long thin pliers.   They can be used to help remove hooks from fishes mouths.  These are a mandatory piece of equipment for removing lures from pike mouths. 


Game fish:

Freshwater game fish in England are salmon and trout.  Some sea fish are also referred to as game fish.


Gents are another way of saying maggots

Graphite spray:

Graphite spray is used to rebuild any worn carbon fibre surfaces.  Joints in poles and rods can wear out over time.   This can be used to restore these joints, and prolong the life of this expensive equipment.


This is food that is thrown into your swim to attract and keep fish around your hook bait.   It acts as an attractant, and helps entice the fish into feeding.  The type of groundbait used depends on different fish and different conditions .  Groundbait is also known also as Berley.  Bread crumb is the most common base for groundbait.  


Hair rigs:

Hair rigs are simply an extra bit of line with small loop at the end, that is tied off of the shank or bend of a hook.   You can even just have the hair as the loop.  The bait is placed onto this 'hair' by using a boilie needle.  The bait is then held in place with a boilie stop or piece of grass that is placed through the small loop.  The bait is pushed back against the stopper.  Hair rigs enable a bait to be moved around and sucked up by fish without any resistance.  When a fish sucks the bait up, the bait and the hook enters the mouth. 

Hemp seed:

Hemp seed is the seed from Hemp.   ( marijuana plant ) This seed is sterilised so it won't grow if planted. The seed is boiled up until the hard seed casing splits open and you can see the white cornel inside.  The hemp seed is then pushed onto the bend of a small fine wire hook, at the place where it split open.  It is usually fished on the hook for small fish.  Hemp seed is also used as a groundbait additive or loose feed.  


Holdalls are rod bags, made to carry many rods and poles together, in one bag.  It helps keep your gear from flying around in the car and also makes carrying your stuff to the bank very fast and neat.   You can even get ones that let you have a fully set up rod in them, but they are very long.


A small bent piece of wire that has a sharp point, used to catch a fish.


The bit of line that is directly attached to the hook. It should be a lower breaking strain than the main line above it. This is necessary because if your line breaks, then it will break here. It could also save a fish from becoming tethered to the bottom and dying.

Hook Tyers:

Hook tiers are a designed to help tie hooks directly on to the line. 


In-line feeders:

In-line feeders are designed to run on the main line.  There is a small tube that runs down the length of the feeder that the line runs through.  You can set your rig up so that this is running free if a fish takes the hook, or locked in place.  

In-line leads:

In-line leads are a very useful style of lead.  These can have a section of tube running through the lead and out on both sides.  This tubing helps the lead not to snag on weed.  It also helps in the presentation of the hook and rig. 

Insert waggler:

( See Floats & Wagglers. )   Insert wagglers are a variant of a waggler float.  Normal wagglers have a tip that flows up from the body.  An insert tip is a much thinner and is pushed into the float.  Many insert wagglers are made so that the tips can be changed.   This means you can change the tip colour or size, depending on the conditions.



Joker are a small red worm like crustacean that can be found in the silt on lake or river bottoms.  Used main as feed. 



A knotless tube net designed to hold fish. They hold any caught fish, so that they can be weighed at the end of the session.  


Landing net handle:

A landing net handle is used with a net head.  These can be up to 8 feet long. 

Landing net heads:

Landing net heads come in many different shapes and sizes.  The size net you use should cater for the fish you are catching.  A net should be deep enough and wide enough so that a fishes head fits in one corner and the tail doesn't hang out.  Net heads come in many shapes.  Some of the shapes are;  Round, Spoon, Triangular, Deep pan, Shallow pan etc.   Triangular, deep pan nets are best for carp.  There are some special carp net heads where the arms fold together over a fish and the head detaches.  This lets you carry the fish without fear of dropping them.  Nets can also have different weaves.   The knotless varieties are best as they don't tend to get the fishes barbs caught up.

Laying on:

                 A technique when used on running water, over depth fishing with the line and shotting           laying on the bottom of the river bed

Lead bombs:

Lead bombs are tear shaped lead weights that have a swivel at the pointy end.  These come in different sizes.   These are a very useful for bolt rigs when ledgering.


Leam is a special fine white clay used to separate joker or mixed with groundbait to make it heavey.

Ledger stops:

Ledger stops are something that you can use to stop lead weights moving past a certain point on the line.  It is simply a small plastic ring that is placed over the line, with a small plug that is placed into the ring, wedging against the line.


Fishing directly from hook to Fishing rod. You use a weight to cast out. There are many forms of ledgering. These include; the bolt rig, In line lead, The feeder, paternoster rig, using a quiver tip, etc.

Line clips:

Line clips are a small plastic clip that is attached to the reel

Long line:

Using a long line on a pole.   A longer line between the float and the pole tip can sometimes get you out to the spot where the fish are feeding. 

Long on:

This is when you use a long hooklength when float fishing.  There can be up to one foot of line laying on the bottom.  This increased length increases the time it takes for a fish to pull a float tip under.  This can be a great technique when using a different hookbait over a bed of groundbait.  i.e.  A red kidney bean hookbait over a bed of sweetcorn.

Loose feed:

Loose feed is groundbaiting your swim with a particle bait.  Sweetcorn, maize, trout pellets, maggots, casters etc…


Lubricants are needed for the elastics inside poles.  The elastics are being pulled in and out a lot, and lubricants help prolong their life.  You can use something simple line diluted washing up liquid, or something specialised like silicone lubricant. 

Luncheon meat:

Luncheon meat is a great bait for carp and barbel.  It is diced up and fished a hair rig.  It can be fried in spices to get a good crispy surface.



Maggots are the pupa of the fly  You can use them to catch very small fish like Roach, or bundle them together for carp.  Maggots are also refereed to as gents.  They can be coloured and flavoured.  One type are refereed to as pinkies. The chrysalis form of a maggot is named a caster.  All these different forms of the bait make it very versatile.

Maize meal:

Maize meal is made from ground up maize and is used either with groundbait or placed with maggots to keep them from sweating up.

Marker floats:

Marker floats are used to give you a visual indicator when fishing far out.  They are simply a large float with a big fluorescent top

Match fishing:

Match fishing is a competitive form of coarse fishing.  It involves people drawing out a random peg ( a place to fish ), and then try and catch as many fish as possible within the match rules and time allotted. 

Match reels:

Match reels are designed to be very light but sturdy reels.  They have special spools that allow you to only put on line you will use.  These spools usually have a capacity for 100 to 150 meters of line

Match rods:

Match rods are made from carbon fibre and are designed to be very strong but light.  Their length ranges from 11 foot to 15 foot long.  They come in both float and feeder rods.  These rods are best suited to fishing for normal fish. 

Method feeders:

The method feeder is the most effective feeder for carp fishing.  They have a central tube where the line is threaded thorough.  This tube has three fins attached.  These fins are shaped to make the feeder looks tear shaped.  A mix of sticky groundbait should be moulded around the feeder.  The idea is to bury your hookbait into the feeder, so that any fish that comes to eat the groundbait will also eat the hookbait. 

Micro shot:

Micro shot is very small split shot.  Micro shot is designed to be used with ultra sensitive pole float rigs.   The sizes range from No. 8 ( Small ) to No. 16 

Monofilament line:

Monofilament line is typically made from nylon.  It is a single strand of line.  It comes in different diameters and strengths.  Modern pre-stretched lines are using plastics like perlon and teflon to get the strength with lower diameters.

Multi-strand line:

Multi strand line is a bundle of very fine fibres.  This line enables you to have a hooklength that spreads out under the water to be almost invisible.  The line also is so soft to touch on fishes lips that it is not noticed. 


Nut Drill:

A Nut drill is simply a small drill bit that has a handle attached to it.  This simple device lets you to drill holes through hard boilies, nuts and beans so that you can use them as a hookbait.  


Nuts are an alternate bait.  Nuts should preferably be pre-boiled so that fish are able to chew them and digest them.  (Warning:  If peanuts are not precooked then they can kill fish.)



Olivettes are very small cylindrical lead weights designed to be used on float rigs.  These are an Italian invention.  They come in many sizes and are extremely effective with larger continental pole floats.  They can be tear drop shaped or elongated diamond shaped.   Olivettes have a hole in the centre and are placed on the line beneath the float.   They help give stability to floats used in fast, deep water.

On the drop:

On the drop fishing is when you use a float rig that sinks slowly into the water.  You are trying to catch fish that are up in the water.  The recommended groundbaiting technique is to feed a little and often, with loose feed or a cloudy groundbait like bread.



This is a very simple but effective type of bait.  It is usually made with a bread base and any flavour can be added. 


The peg is a pre defined swim for fishing.  A venue is split up into evenly spaced apart with a wooden peg in the ground. 


These are a bait made up usually as animal feed.  The most common type used for fishing are trout pellets. 

Perch punch:

Perch punch is a bait made up with chopped worm.  You get a whole heap of worms and chop them up.  Then get some cheap plastic cups, some small rocks and a jug of flavoured liquid.  You divide the chopped worms between the cups, blend in some liquid flavouring ( pick your own favourite one, ) then place a rock in the bottom of the cup.  Put them into a freezer till it turns to ice.  When you next go fishing, take these in a refrigerated box. ( An esky. )  When you need to throw in some groundbait, remove the frozen perch punch from the plastic container and throw it in.  It should sink because of the rock and then slowly melt into your swim.  This is great for attracting perch or trout.


Pinkies are the pupa of the house fly, used either for small fish or as a loose feed


A pint is a measurement used when referring to maggots.  It is quite common for anglers to use a pint of maggots during a session.


Platforms are used with seat boxes.  It is a metal platform with height adjustable legs.  They are designed to have seat boxes placed on top of them, and to provide a stable and transportable place to fish from. 


These are specially designed lead weights, used to help work out a depth of a swim.  They are cone shaped, have a small loop at the top, and have a cork base.  You attach them to your float rig by threading the hook and line through the top loop, then locking the hook in place by pushing the hook point into the cork.  You cast out your float rig and keep adjusting the position of the float until you only see the float tip.  You remove the plummet and it should be at the perfect depth.

Polaroid sunglasses:

Polaroid sunglasses help cut out the surface glare made by the suns light reflecting off the water, into your eyes.   These glasses are designed to filter out certain light, allowing you to see into the water.


Poles are like very long rod blanks.  They are held by hand and fished directly over the water.   They are usually made of carbon fibre.  Poles are split up into many individual sections.  The sections can either be telescopic or able to be pulled apart.  Poles can range in size from 2.5 meters up to 20 meters long. The two main varieties of poles are whips and elasticised poles.  Whips are fished with line tied directly onto the pole tip.  These are used to catch very small fish.   Elasticised poles have elastic threaded through the top three sections.  This elastic is able to be pulled out by fighting fish. 

Pole feeder pots:

These are specially designed cups that clip onto the tip of your pole.  You put groundbait into them, shunt it out over your swim and tip it out.  They come in different sizes for different baits.  You can use big ones for balls of groundbait or very small ones for loose feed.

Pole fishing:

Pole fishing is the use of poles to catch fish.  The length and strengths of poles vary for the fish you wish to catch.  Poles enable you to bag up on catching very small fish very quickly.  You can also catch small carp on stronger poles. 

Pole floats:

(See Float Fishing Encyclopaedia) Pole floats are very small and sensitive.  Poles enable you to not have excess weight, usually required for casting.  This sensitivity lets you see any float movement at all.  Pole floats allow you to fish 'on the drop' very easily.  You are also able to fish at any level in the water with confidence.  Pole floats weights are usually measured in grams.  They usually have a thin tip, small balsa wood body and a thin wire stem.  They are usually 15 to 20 cm's long.  There are many different body shapes you can have with pole floats.  'Body up' floats have a wider bulge at the top of the float body.  'Body down' floats have the wider bulge at the bottom of the float body.  'Slims'  have very long and thin bodies.   'Dibbers' have the float tip as part of the thin float body, instead of a separate tip.  'Continental' pole floats are usually large floats designed to use olivettes in big rivers.  Other floats like wagglers can also be used on poles.  

Pole rollers:

Pole rollers are a device that help you to protect the back sections of your pole when you are pushing it back and removing them.  They come in two forms.  The first one is a simple 'V' shape.  This has a roller on each 'V' arm.  The other main type of roller is a free standing, 4 leg model.  They have a horizontal roller, with a vertical end roller on both sides.  There are two height adjustable legs that drop down from each end, forming a very stable design.  These rollers are used behind you.  They provide a stable place for the pole to slide back on.

Pole seat:

Pole seats are a specially designed deep cushion that has a central groove running down the middle between your legs.  The seat is made to go on top of seat boxes and canal stools.  The groove in the seat is wide and deep enough to have the rear pole section fit into it.  This is so you can sit on your pole and use your hands.  The groove helps protect you from crushing the pole section. 

Pole winder anchor:

Pole winder anchors are a soft silicone rubber anchor, used to hold the loose end of a rig on a pole float winder.   This helps to stop the rigs unravelling.

Pole winders:

These are plastic rig winders, designed to hold and protect pole float rigs.  They are made up with a thin plastic strip with a plastic panel on either side.  It looks like the letter 'H' when seen from the bottom.  The rig is wound around the centre panel, and the float is protected by the protruding side panels.


Powergum is a very strong silicone rubber line used as a shock absorber for lead weights and feeders.  It is generally used when you need to cast out a long way, without breaking off on the cast.

Pre baiting:

Pre baiting is when you throw in groundbait into a place you intend to fish the next day.  It attracts the fish into that area to feed.  Pre baiting can also be done over longer periods.  The most common pre baiting is by groundbaiting every night for a week.  The fish get trained into believing that a steady supply of food can be found there

Pre-stretched line:

Pre-stretched line is line that has been stretched out so it is much thinner.  The line still retains it's strength, but no longer has the stretch that other lines have. 

PTFE bush:

PTFE bushes are a special protector used on the cut tip of poles.  PTFE stands for Poly Tetra Fluro Ethylene. This plastic has a very low friction level.  This means that it is very smooth and slippery.  PTFE bushes help protect pole elastics from wearing out.  They come in two varieties:  internal and external. 

Push-in joints:

Push-in joints are a type of joint used on removable pole sections.  It is where if you had the pole tip out in front of you, the sections being added at the rear end would have to be pushed into the end of the one in front of it.

Put-over joints:

Put-over joints are a type of joint used on removable pole sections.  It is where if you had the pole tip out in front of you, the sections being added at the rear end would have to be pushed over the end of the one in front of it.


PVA is a water soluble plastic.   i.e. It dissolves in water.  It has been made up into special string and bags, that can be used to attach groundbait to your rig.  This PVA will then dissolve once it is in the water and the groundbait will be left around your hookbait. 

PVA bags:

PVA can be made into bags designed to be tied to your rig, and hold groundbait.  There are two types of bags available.  There are solid PVA bags and PVA string netting bags.  The solid bags can hold smaller groundbait but take longer to dissolve in winter.  PVA string bags are great for boilies and dissolve very quickly.  These are good for using in winter.

PVA string:

This is PVA made into string.  It is useful when making a stringer of extra boilies or pellets to be tied onto a rig.  The PVA string dissolves very quickly and can be used just like a piece of line. 


Quiver tip:

A quiver tip is a special type of rod used to detect bites when ledgering.  It has a very sensitive tip that curves over when a fish a fish pulls on the fishing line.  Quiver tips vary in strength and stiffness.  These tips are often interchangeable depending on the weather and conditions.  There are two types of tips available;  screw in tips and push in tips. 

Quiver tip target board:

A quiver tip target board is used to help see if the tip is moving.  It is roughly 20 cm's by 20 cm's large.  It is designed to screw into a bankstick.  The target board is usually black with vertical white stripes.  The target board should be positioned in front of the rod, so that you can spot any tip movement.  The target board can also help to act as a wind break for the tip.


Red worm:

Red worm is a small worm that lives in the top layer of animal waste (horse or pig)


These are like a large mesh sieve and are used to separate maggots from the material they were grown in. 

Rig bin:

Rig bins are specially designed round plastic screw top containers.  There is a round foam insert that is attached to the middle of the lid.  When the lid is screwed in, the round foam insert fills most of the space inside, but leaves about a 1.5 cm gap between itself and the plastic container.  The foam insert is used to hold pre made rigs.  These rigs are wound around the foam.  Once you have secured your rigs, you can re-insert the foam and lid and screw it back on.  The rigs will now be protected from damage or tangling up.

Rig pouch:

Rig pouches are about the same size as a normal wallet.  They have a zipper around three sides.  When this is unzipped the pouch opens to reveal many plastic sleeves that can be used to place rigs into.  A rig pouch holds between 10 to 20 rigs.  These rigs have to be rolled up and slid into the plastic sleeves.

Rig tube:

Rig tube is made from either silicone tubing or shrink tubing.  It usually has a small diameter.  It is used as part of your rig and provides protection to the line or braid from sharp rocks or getting tangled.  Rig tube is usually used with ledger rigs like in-line leads or rigs to keep the hook out of silt.  It can either be very soft or slightly stiff depending on what you make it out of.


Roaming is where you an angler can roam around a fishing venue and fish different swims (Usually on running waters)

Rod pod:

This is a device that lets you fish with two or three rods set up, side by side, at once. 

Rod rests:

The rod rest is an instrument where you can place your rod at rest


Sausage gun:

Sausage guns are like very large icing decorators used on cakes or like silicone sealant guns used for sealing bathrooms etc.  They are used to help squirt out a long sausage of boilie mix so it can be made into even size boilies.  These are often used with boilie rolling tables so you can make lots of boilies very quickly. 


Scales are used to measure the weight of a fish.  There are different variations available. 

Self depth adjusting Waggler:

Self depth adjusting wagglers are floats that automatically set themselves to the correct depth.  They are also refereed to as ledger floats.  They have a special two point friction device at the float bottom where the line is put through. 

Seat box:

Seat boxes are specially designed boxes made to hold all of your tackle and to be used as a fishing seat.  Seat boxes are often used for match fishing.  They have many drawers and compartments that can be used to hold tackle that you use when fishing.   Seat boxes are also designed to be the main part of a fishing station.  These boxes can either sit on top of platforms or have height adjustable legs attached onto it.  


A session is the period of time you spend fishing in a day.  A typical session length is five hours.  They are often refereed to as 'morning sessions', 'afternoon sessions' or a 'day session.'  It is really just a convenient term used to refer to your last fishing trip.

Setting shot:

The setting shot is a piece of split shot used in float rigs.  This extra piece of shot adds enough weight on top of the total shot capacity, to sink the float when it is lifted by a fish.  The setting shot is placed as the last piece of shot just before the hook.  It is usually about 15 to 20 cm's away from the hook.  The setting shot has to be sitting on the bottom before it will work.  When a fish sucks up the bait, it will also suck the setting shot off the bottom.  When this shot is lifted up, it momentarily adds enough weight to sink the float tip.  This lets you know exactly when a fish has taken the bait. 


Used as a catch phrase when you catch a fish on every cast or your swim appears to be full of fish

Shirt buttoned shot:

(See Float Fishing Encyclopaedia) Shirt buttoning shot is a way to place split shot onto your float rig,

Short line:

A short line is a pole fishing term.  It is when you have a very short piece of line between the pole float and the pole tip.  Using a short line is useful in very windy conditions.  It helps you to maintain a greater amount of control over the float.  The short line also lets you be able to strike fish very quickly.  This is often necessary when catching very small fish. 


An abbreviated version of saying split shot.

Shotting pattern:

(See Float Fishing Encyclopaedia) This is the pattern that you use when attaching shot onto the line below the float.  Different floats, rigs and conditions need different shotting patterns. 

Shrink tube:

Shrink tube is a type of tube that shrinks when it is heated.  It is made for bundling wires together, but it can be used as rig tube.  It is often handy to have a few different lengths of this tube with your fishing gear.

Silicone rubber:

This is tubing made out of silicone rubber.  Silicone rubber is very good as it is UV resistant, ( i.e. won't crack in the sun, ) and is very stretchy.  The tube comes in many different colours and sizes

Skid bungs:

Skid bungs are used to protect the ends of pole sections.  They are made from plastic and the end is bullet shaped.   They have a slice taken out of one side so that they can slide correctly into the hollow ends of pole sections.  They come in varying sizes to fit all pole sections.   They help protect the ends of pole sections from being damaged.  They also help as a 'slide-in guide' when you join sections together.


A slab is another way of referring to a Bream.  Bream are very thin but large round fish.


(See Float Fishing Encyclopaedia) A slider is a way to float fish deep water.  

Spade end hooks:

Spade end hooks have an up-turned flattened piece of metal instead of an eye. 


Specimen is a term given to any fish that is very big for its species. 

Split shot:

Split shot are small lead balls that are cut halfway through.  They are squeezed around your line to add weight.  They are most commonly used for float fishing but can be very handy for ledgering. They come in many sizes.


Stalking is when you quietly walk along a venue to spot fish and then try and catch them.   This is usually done on well sheltered rivers or lakes.  The idea is to only carry the bare essential tackle so that you can sneak up to a fish, cast to it and hopefully catch it. 


A fishing station is a system that combines many pieces of equipment into the one unit.  Fishing stations are usually made up of a seat box and some sort of adjustable platform. 

Star point hooks:

Star point hooks are a specially designed hook. The point is shaped like a spear head.  This helps hold the point in a fishes mouth.

Stepped waggler:

(See Float Fishing Encyclopaedia) Stepped wagglers are floats that increasingly get bigger down nearer the float bottom  The size increases are done by stepping up the diameter.  The float looks like it has steps in it.  There are only usually three steps in this type of float.  These are usually used in rivers but work fine in lakes.  They can either have a thick or slim float tip.

Stick floats:

(See Float Fishing Encyclopaedia) Stick floats are usually made out of a long straight piece of wood or out of a quill.  Stick floats are most commonly used in rivers.  The long thin body is needed to help keep the float body up in fast flowing water.  The float is attached to the fishing line by two or three silicone rubber sleeves.  They are usually trotted down a current. 

Stonfo adaptors:

Stonfo adaptors are used with elasticised poles.  They are the connector used to tie the elastic end at the tip of a pole to the line of a pole float rig.  The stonfo adaptor stops the elastic from going all the way back into the pole.  The elastic in a pole should always be tight enough to hold the stonfo adaptor snugly against the pole tip, yet have enough stretch in it for a fish to be able to pull it out.   Stonfo adaptors are made from plastic.  They have a hook where a loop in the end of a rig hooks over.  The stonfo adaptor also has a sleeve that pulls down over the hook to lock the rig in place.


Styls are a variation on split shot.  They are very thin lead bar that is cut half way through lengthwise.  Styles come in many different sizes.  They are designed to be used on pole float rigs.  They help to spread the weight down over the length of the float rig. 

Surface fishing:

Surface fishing is when you fish with floating baits and target rising fish. 


Sweetcorn is simply canned corn that you would normally eat yourself.  Corn can be flavoured or coloured.  It is a great loose feed bait.  It is also a great additive to groundbait.  Corn works great straight on the hook or on a hair rig.


The place where you are fishing.    

Swing indicator:

Swing indicators are a very simple yet effective bite indicator.  They are commonly used with electronic bite indicators.  A swing indicator has a upwards facing open end clip.  This clip is attached to a stiff bar that is anchored on a bankstick.   The clip is placed onto the line and pulled down half way.  When a fish takes your bait and pulls the line, the swing indicator will be pulled up.  If a fish takes the bait but swims toward you, then the line will go slack and the swing indicator will drop down.

Swing tip rods:

Swing tip rods are a special type of rod that have a tip that hangs down.  It uses a reverse logic to a quiver tip.   The line is threaded through normal guides on the swing tip, but the tip itself is attached to the rod by a floppy piece of tube.  The tip ends up hanging downwards.   When a fish takes your bait and pulls the line tight, the swing tip is pulled up.   When you see it move upwards then you strike the fish. 


They are basically two small metal rings that are attached either side of a small metal body.  These rings are able to be freely rotated.  Swivels are used in rigs with moving parts or rigs where you need to join line to braid.  They can also be used to add a little bit of extra weight.



Tackle is a term used to refer to any fishing equipment.


Telescopic rods or poles are made out of many sections that all slide and fit together.  Each section fits inside the other.  They slide out of the open end and lock inside the end of the section behind it. 

Tell-tale shot:

Another term for a setting shot.

Test curve:

The test curve is the time and weight needed to make the tip bend 90 degrees from the rod butt.  Each rod has a test curve. 

Top sections:

The top sections of a pole are usually made up of three or four sections.  These are usually made to be telescopic so that you can easily elasticise it.  It needs to be telescopic so that you can slide the sections together and not have the elastic get tangled.

Total shotting capacity:

The total shotting capacity of a float is the amount of weight needed to set the float so only the float tip is showing.  This is called setting the float to depth.  The total shotting capacity is usually written on coarse floats as a weight.  This is only a rough guess at the actual weight needed. 


Trolleys are used to help carry your seat box.  It is like a luggage trolley, with a upright handle and some big wheels. 


(See Float Fishing Encyclopaedia) Trotting is a method used when fishing a river with a stick float.  It is when you let the float move down in the main flow of water. 



Umbrellas are used to protect you from rain, wind and sunshine.  Coarse fishing umbrellas are very big and are similar to beach umbrellas.  The umbrella has a height adjustable rod that is stuck into the bank.  It also has a screw in joint half way up the main rod that lets you put the brolly at a 45 degree angle.  Umbrellas can sometimes have guy-rope attachments so you can anchor the sides down in a strong wind.  There are also bivvy covers that can go over them to make a quick and cheep form of tent too keep you and your gear dry.  

Unhooking mat:

Unhooking mats are used to protect a fish from getting damaged when placed on the bank.  They are designed to be wet with water and have a special surface that doesn't remove the slime off of fish. 



The area or place you are fishing.  i.e. A lake or river etc.


Waggler float:

(See Float Fishing Encyclopaedia) Wagglers are attached to the line through a hole at the base of the float.  Wagglers come in many different forms.  These are as follows:


Watercraft is the study and knowledge of both fish and the environment they live in.  It is made up of many different things; knowing the types of places fish can be found; when the fish will eat; how they eat; what impact different water flow has on fish; the different types of   weather and how fish respond to them...etc. 


Whips are a type of a shorter pole.  Used mainly to hand fishing

Wide gape hooks:

Wide gape hooks are hooks that have a big distance between the hook point and the hook shank.    



                A type of Pike perch fish




Fishing Glossary | Venue Guide Wales | Your Views!
News Features | Coarse Reports | Results | Juniors | Game News & Reports | Sea News & Reports
My Story | My Angling Tips | My Match News | My Tuition | My Products
Record Fish | World Championship Tables | Welsh Clubs & Associations| Classified | Links
Product revue