Ticho House, situated in the downtown area, is filled with the
atmosphere of old Jerusalem, with the art of Israel's beloved painter
Anna Ticho (1894 -1980) and with the music of immigrant and other
artists who appear here in concert every Friday morning. Add to
this a light meal in the serene garden restaurant of the Ticho House,
and a memento or two purchased in the Israel Museum Shop on the
premises, and you have a total experience "away from it all"
right in the center of town. (You won't want to leave without picking
up a copy of the beautifully illustrated Ticho House, A Jerusalem
Landmark.) Check out What's On for storytelling theater, poetry
readings, chamber concerts, and other special events at the Ticho
House. Entrance free.
Ticho House was one of the first houses in Jerusalem built outside
the Old City Walls. It was built in the second half of the nineteenth
century by an Arab dignitary.
Among its first occupants was the family of the notorious antiquities
forger, Shapira (The house is described in the memoirs of his daughter
Miriam Harry, La petite fille de Jerusalem.)
Dr. Avraham Albert Ticho and his cousin Anna were born at the end
of the last century in Moravia, then part of the Austro-Hungarian
Empire. Dr. Ticho completed his medical studies in Vienna where
he specialized in ophthalmology at the Rudolph Hospital. Anna began
studying art at the age of fifteen also in Vienna.
In 1912 Dr. Ticho was sent by the Frankfurt based organization Lema'an
Tzion to open an eye clinic in Jerusalem. Anna followed him and
the two were married in the same year.
The impact of the Jerusalem landscape, with its barren hills, was
such that for a number of years Anna Ticho could not paint. She
began drawing again while in Damascus where her husband was stationed
during World War I.
The Tichos' bought the house in 1924. They converted the lower storey
into an eye clinic which served the population of Jerusalem, rich
and poor alike, until Dr. Ticho's death in 1960.
Anna served as his assistant and at the same time began going out
into the landscape and drawing the hills, views and figures of Jerusalem.
Although she used different media over the years. these remained
the chief subjects of her work.
The Tichos, throughout their long lives, were active in Jerusalem's
social and cultural life. After her husband's death, Anna continued
to live and work in the same house until her own death in 1980.
Her work was widely acclaimed and her drawings are to be found in
many museums in this country and abroad. She was also the recipient
of many honorary titles and awards, the last being the Israel Prize
which she received in 1980.
As a token of her love for Jerusalem, Anna Ticho bequeathed the
house, all of its collections and its library to the people of the
city, to serve as a public centre for art.
Curator, Ticho House
The Ticho House is open
Sun. Mon. Wed. Thurs. 10-17;
Sat night until 11 pm (Motzei Shabbat).
The House contains:
An exhibition of works by Anna Ticho;
Hanukkah lamps collected by Dr. Avraham Ticho;
A reference library of books about Jerusalem, art and literature;
A Museum shop.
The garden cafe on the premises serves light meals and is open
daily 10-24, Fri. 10-15 and Sat. night from sundown till midnight.
7 Harav Kook Street
Tel. +972-2-6245068, +972-2-6244186