[Raven] Should Tin Cans and String Comply With CALEA?

The Internet can be used for lots of things.  Among them are forms of
telephony.  In the US, CALEA applies to the activities of
"telecommunications carriers."  Some providers of
telephony-over-the-Internet may meet that requirement; others may not.

Does it make sense for standards-setters (here, IETF) to worry about CALEA
compliance merely because the thing they are setting the standard for *could
be* used for telephony and because *some of* the folks who use it for that
purpose have CALEA obligations?  Wondering about that leads to the "re:"
line above.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Christopher W. Savage
Cole, Raywid & Braverman, L.L.P.
1919 Penn. Ave. N.W., Suite 200, Washington, D.C. 20006
voice: 202-828-9811	fax: 202-452-0067

All views/opinions are my own, not those of my firm or its clients.