Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > NEWS

Old 09-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
MattBrady

SUPERGIRL #12 TO FEATURE THE DEBUT OF THE ALL-NEW TERRA

Press Release

The Last Daughter of Krypton meets the all-new Terra in the pages of SUPERGIRL #12!

This issue will feature a different story than the one described in the September Previews (Volume XVI #9). The issue now will be written by Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray with art by Amanda Conner.

"Justin and I are really excited about showing what we can do with Supergirl, and equally excited about introducing the new Terra into the DCU," says Palmiotti. "With Amanda on board for the art, we couldn't ask for a more fun book to premiere her in."

"Supergirl rocks! Amanda Rocks! Terra...throws rocks! It is a perfect combination," says Gray.

The story finds the Girl of Steel down in the dumps - and no match for a monster that's using her emotions as a weapon. This looks like a job for a Terra, a mysterious new hero whose very steps make the ground tremble to make her presence known to the world. This issue will serve as a lead-in to the upcoming TERRA miniseries.

SUPERGIRL #12 (SEP060205) is scheduled to arrive in stores on November 1. This issue is order adjustable through its Final Order Cutoff date of October 12.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
MShivers

Not that I'm saying that Jimmy and Justin's story won't be good... but...

Kinda seems like this book is cursed, eh? (at least in regards to keeping a stable creative team....)

- Michael
Old 09-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Superfrick

Wow.

I'm actually going to buy another issue of Supergirl!

Last chance, DC!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
Dood Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MShivers
Not that I'm saying that Jimmy and Justin's story won't be good... but...

Kinda seems like this book is cursed, eh? (at least in regards to keeping a stable creative team....)

- Michael

I thought they were only on for this issue.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
BriGuy

Given what the series has been up til this point, I gladly welcome this interruption into the regular title. This book was dropped from our pull list, but I'll likely pick up this one more issue.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
Ye Olde Iowa

This seems to have all of the fix-ins for a good read:

-More Palmiotti and Gray? Check.
-More art by Amanda Connor, who really needs to have a regular DC gig? Check.
-More of what I see as an interesting take on Supergirl? Check.
-Chances of being on time so it won't mess up the new mini? Check.

My only complaint is that we really don't need a new Terra and I really don't like what I've seen of the new costume. I saw on some fan site a drawing that was an updated version of the cartoon's style for Terra's outfit, but drawn in the DC style. It was pretty awesome and I'd dig that way more than I would the brown spandex.

Also, when is this thing coming out? I figured with all of the hype, we'd have seen this and the Raven mini solicited by now.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
nightw1ng

i wonder how this new Terra will fit into the DC universe. hopefully it won't be a Superboy-wall-punched-retcon-resurrected Terra like Jason Todd or a Infinite-Crisis-New-Earth-rebooted Terra like so many recent characters like the Creeper.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
Mr Wesley

What are Supergirl's sales like? I agree with Shivers, this book is either cursed, or there's not a creator in the business who wants to take it on for one reason or another. Why won't Didio just let this title die?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
God-Man

I was reallly looking foward to Kelly's original story. Ohs well.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
God-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wesley
What are Supergirl's sales like? I agree with Shivers, this book is either cursed, or there's not a creator in the business who wants to take it on for one reason or another. Why won't Didio just let this title die?

Well, it placed #27 in the Top 300 for August.

http://comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8385

It was selling in the Top 10 with Loeb on the book, but since he left it seems that sales have dropped. It's still selling welle enough to justify it's existance to DC I think.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:12 AM   #11
willyd

new Terra?

Wait...NEW terra? what happened to the (possibly) resurrected version of the original Terra? From the Team Titans (and maybe an alternate future?)

Last I remember, she took a test to see if she was Geo-Force's sister...and she WAS...but he kept the results from her.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:31 AM   #12
Queen of Swords

I agree that this current Supergirl series seems somewhat cursed, as others have stated, in regards with its regular team of creators. Alsom with its shipping. The book is starting to come out more regularly than when Jeph Loeb was on as writer, but still seems to go thru the odd rescheduling moments/delays. Even the current Green Lantern series is cursed on when it comes out as well, it too going thru schedule changes/resolicitations. Wonder Woman fares no better now that DC announced it would now be on a bi-monthly schedule a few weeks back (Superman/Batman was very bad, but due to Jeph Loeb's son's passing last year, most readers can understand the delays there; Loeb admitted with his son's passing, he couldn't write for three months during that summer last year).

I really think DC Comics editors need to do something about this as it is becoming quite frequent (Marvel's been looking better than them lately, until their whole recent mess with Civil War delaying their entire series publishing schedule by a month or two regarding various titles' tie-ins). This is just very unprofessional from both Marvel and DC lately. As a reader, its just getting ridiculous on the odd long gaps that happen regarding an issue I expect to come out as originnally announced. Creators and their editors should plan more properly on how many issues are in the can ahead of time before making scheduling announcements. Its just getting so frustrating.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:42 AM   #13
Zechs

Interesting.. so the rumors are true. Cassie Cain has been removed from Supergirl #12.
I wonder..
Old 09-20-2006, 01:48 AM   #14
diana_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wesley

He won't let it die because it sells 75,000 copies per issue, is DC's 8th best selling title for August 2006, and regularly hammers titles like Nightwing, Robin, Catwoman, Detective Comics, Superman, and Action Comics.

In August, the only DC titles to do better than SG were:

Justice League of America
All Star Superman
Justice
Batman
Superman/Batman
Wonder Woman

That's it. And three of those are written, in whole or in part, by Grant Morrison. One of them is a big DC event, one of them was a #1, and another a #2. So, in other words, Supergirl is doing pretty damned well.

A selection of titles that failed to meet Supergirl's sales in August:

Flash, Teen Titans, Superman, Detective Comics, Action Comics, Green Lantern Corps, Trials of Shazam, Ion, Secret Six, OMAC, Martian Manhunter, Outsiders, Nightwing, SG & LOSH, All New Atom, Robin, Green Arrow, Shadowpact, JSA Classified, Uncle Sam & FF, Birds of Prey, Checkmate, JLA Classified, Catwoman, Hawkgirl

Those are just the DC titles.

So, I'd say that if DiDio were looking for books to let die, he could make a better decision than choosing Supergirl.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:56 AM   #15
diana_fan

As to the actual story, I'm pretty psyched about this.

We get a one-shot issue, not only introducing a new Terra, but written by Palmiotti and Gray, and drawn by Amanda Conner. That's pretty damned cool.

I don't think Ian Churchill is the best with a monthly schedule. And Kelly could be contributing to the need for a fill-in a little himself. I just don't know. But how can ANYONE complain about this? Palmiotti/Gray/Conner issue of Supergirl -- I mean come on!

Gitty up!

Jimmy Palmiotti said that the solicit was messed up, and that was all. As to what is going to happen with the Batgirl story, no one knows. But I think it might still happen. We'll have to see.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:43 AM   #16
Hobowatcher

People are pissed about OSTRANDER & MANDRAKE on Batman, so who can understand the naysayers?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #17
<sage>

Quote:
People are pissed about OSTRANDER & MANDRAKE on Batman, so who can understand the naysayers?

True, but I think most are pissed that the new REGULAR creative team of Morrison and Kubert are off for four issues (we all know that they have more issues - Morrison spoke about a new 3 part arc coming up in the latest Wizard Magazine)

All this focus on Terra and the Teen Titans tv movie had me pick up Judas Contract which I'm going to start reading in a minute, so I guess that is already one positive to come out of this issue of Supergirl.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #18
DrBat

Disappointing. What's the point of bringing Terra in if it won't be Tara Markov?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #19
SpyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBrady
SUPERGIRL #12 (SEP060205) is scheduled to arrive in stores on November 1.

Is that November 1, 2007?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #20
Kevenn

I'm most excited about the Amanda Connor art. I'll see if this story makes me excited about the new Terra. I'm definitely not excited about her black hair.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #21
Boffo97

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd
Wait...NEW terra? what happened to the (possibly) resurrected version of the original Terra? From the Team Titans (and maybe an alternate future?)

Last I remember, she took a test to see if she was Geo-Force's sister...and she WAS...but he kept the results from her.

Maybe she's hanging out with Matrix-Supergirl, who IIRC never died or anything, but just kidna wandered off.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:28 PM   #22
greenflameuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyGuy
Is that November 1, 2007?

No it's not!!, The last few issues have all been on schedule actully.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #23
nightwingoracle

Really don't see a need for a "new" Terra. Hoping this is just Tara II redone.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #24
Drcharles

Amanda Conner. on SuperGirl.......Booooooooo
I knew it was coming,
Just not my style.....

Oh Well.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #25
Scavenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBrady
Press Release

The Last Daughter of Krypton meets the all-new Terra in the pages of SUPERGIRL #12!

Well thank josephus for that! I was just saying the other day, what DC needs is an all new Terra!