The History of HCS
The Harrisburg Christian School was founded by a group of concerned parents and area Christians who believed the primary responsibility
for the educational instruction of their children according to Scripture was theirs, not the states. This group incorporated as a non-profit
educational institution known as the Christian School Association of Greater Harrisburg, and was granted tax-exempt status.
The school was opened on September 13, 1955 with its first classrooms in the Melrose Gardens Grace Brethren Church. During this first year
there were 23 children enrolled in grades one through four. The second year in this same location saw 30 students in grades one through five.
The third year, having outgrown these quarters, the school moved to 4118 Jonestown Road with 38 students in six grades.
One year only was spent at this location due to state construction of a highway cloverleaf upon the school site. In September of 1958 the
school rented Fothergill Elementary School in Steelton for one year. Opening with 50 students and eight grades another location was secured
at North Fifth Street in Harrisburg. Two years were spent at this location. The next four years found the school again renting a vacated public
school in Highspire. When this facility was taken over by the local town government for other purposes, it become mandatory that the school
build its own facility.
The existing facility contains twenty-four classrooms, two computer labs, a science lab, a cafeteria, a library, a Fine Arts Center and an
Arts and Athletics Center. Twelve additional acres were added providing for a lovely twenty-two acre campus. Approximately
eleven acres of the campus have been developed for spring and fall sports.
Extra curricular activities have been broadened to embrace interscholastic sports including soccer, field hockey, basketball,
golf, baseball and track and field. The music program includes elementary music, middle and high school choir and handbells. Drama, art
and yearbook are also available.
A Learning Disabilities Program was added to the school program during the fall of 1989 to further meet the needs of the student body. In addition
to this latest program, the school offers an academic, business and general course of study for the high school students. The school will
seek to continue to grow and develop in areas that will bring glory to God and a quality educational experience to its students.
The AAC and the Fine Arts Center
||The Arts and Athletics Center is home to the HCS Knights Boys and Girls Basketball teams, the K-12 physical education
program, drama productions, summer skill-building sports camps, high school graduation and many other events that take place
year-round, benefiting our school families and the area community. Completed in August 2000, this state-of-the-art athletic building, complete with
locker rooms, concession facilities and a weight-training room, provides a tremendous enhancement to our many athletic offerings.
||The Fine Arts Center, complete with music room, art room and cafeteria/multipurpose room, is our newest addition
to the HCS campus. This $2.1 million-dollar facility was completed during the summer of 2001. The music room is specifically designed for
optimum acoustics and the large open art room provides many opportunities for students of all ages to express their creativity. The cafeteria features
a commercial kitchen and the dining/multipurpose seating area can also be used for chapel programs, assemblies, and meetings after school hours.