Chicago Landmarks | McGraw-Hill Building
McGraw-Hill Building

Click for Larger View     Address: 520 N. Michigan Ave.
Year Built: 1928-29
Architect: Thielbar and Fugard, with Gwen Lux
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
February 7, 1997

Window Detail One of the city's finest collaborations of sculpture and architecture, this is a rare surviving example of the high-quality of buildings that were constructed along North Michigan Avenue from 1918-1930, a period when the street first established its character as a prestigious retail address. An example of Art Deco architecture, the building design incorporates classical style with modern linear qualities. Particularly distinctive are its rich and innovative sculptures by Gwen Lux, a major 20th-century sculptor and one of the few women in the field. The building's architects were known for their high-quality designs, including apartments in the East Lake Shore Drive District. This building was constructed by the McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, whose Midwestern headquarters served as the original anchor tenant.

Sculpture Detail     Corner View

Art Deco
Boul Mich
 
1.Street Elevations, photo by Bob Thall
2.Window Detail, photo by Bob Thall
3.Sculpture Detail, photo by KGH
4.Corner, photo by Bob Thall