of X-CD-Roast 0.96e!
What is it?
X-CD-Roast is a program-package dedicated to easy CD creation under Linux.
command line tools like "cdrecord" and "mkisofs" into a nice graphical user
It was originally developed for a
diploma thesis in the Computer Science Department of the FH-Munich under
the supervision of Prof. Dr. Stanek.
It is now a private project, which eats a lot of my freetime.
Features planed for future versions:
- Self-explanitory X11 user interface
- Automatic SCSI- and IDE-hardware setup
- Copies of ISO9660-CDs, non-ISO9660-CDs (e.g., Mac or Sun CDs), Mixed-Mode-CDs and audio CDs
- Production of new ISO9660 data CDs ("mastering")
- Production of new audio CDs
- Fast copying of CDs without hardisk buffering
- Logfile option
- Bootable-CD creation
- Master-on-the-fly. (Without image-generation on harddisk)
- Multiplatform (Support for Linux-Alpha, Solaris ....)
Whats new with 0.96e?
This is the long awaited update for version 0.96d. It does not really
introduce any new features - it just is a bugfix and maintainance
release. All patches I received are included and therefore there is
limited support for ATAPI-CD-Readers (also audio), a nonroot-mode
(lets you savely run X-CD-Roast by unexperienced users) and an experimental
support to use CDParanoia as audio-read-program.
Also I included cdrecord-1.6.1 and mkisofs-1.12b4.
changes-file for a detailed list.
The X-CD-Roast 0.96e distribution is available as source-code
(tar.gz and source-RPM) and as binary RPMs for a few distributions.
- Linux system with an installed X Window System
- Linux kernel 2.0.0 or later version (2.0.35/36 recommended)
If you want to compile X-CD-Roast by yourself,
you may need these additional packets (in most modern distributions these
or compatible libs are preinstalled and need NOT to be intstalled by
This software is also available from the following ftp-sites:
- At least PC 486/33 with 16 MB RAM (Pentium-Class machine recommended)
- Any video-card suitable for running X11
- SCSI-Controller supported by Linux (not required for ATAPI-devices)
- Harddisc (SCSI or IDE) with at least 800MB free memory (for storing CD-Images)
- Supported CD-Writer (Compatibility-List)
Additional supported hardware:
- CD-ROM drive (SCSI or IDE)
- 16-bit sound-card
Right now I can only provide the following RPMs. Please note that these
will ONLY work on EXACTLY these distributions! If your distribution is not
listed here, you need to the get the source-code an compile X-CD-Roast
If you want to contribute and are experienced with the creation of RPMs
feel free to send me your X-CD-Roast-RPMs. (e.g. for SuSE, Debian ...)
I will link these then here for the public to download.
Hint: to create a binary-RPM from the source-RPM, simply type:
rpm --rebuild xcdroast-0.96e-1.src.rpm
Patches/Addons for X-CD-Roast:
A small patch for CDParanoia III alpha 9.2 and X-CD-Roast 0.96e to
enable a nice processbar while reading audio with CDParanoia.
Thanx to Till Kamppeter for this one.
And last but not least... A picture of a very
pleased X-CD-Roast-user-group. 8)
(for more infos about the penguins look here: http://greenie.muc.de/~neko/pinguin/indexe.html)
Visitors since 23.06.99
Munich, Nov 27 1998, A. Böck, Russell Block, T. Niederreiter