Login

Not a member yet? Click here to register!
Username:
Password:

CVG NETWORK

CVG
Games Radar
Edge Online
PSW Magazine
PSM3 Magazine
PC Zone Magazine
Xbox World 360 Magazine
NGamer Magazine
PC Gamer Magazine
CheatStation
Next-Gen.biz
Official XBOX 360 Magazine
Forums
"Big update" planned for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
View previous topic - View next topic  
Radio Guy
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 12 Jun 07 8:53 pm Reply with quote

I wounder if this update will be free, or releaced as an expansion...
russraff
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 13 Jun 07 7:17 am Reply with quote

More to the point, are they going to fix all of the many, many bugs in the game? I can't get more than 1/2 hour in Vista and not much better on XP.
falloutwarchief
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 13 Jun 07 9:38 am Reply with quote

Doesn't mention if the update will make the game not suck... Laughing It was seriously disappointing in my opinion. Lots of hype, looked great, but just fell flat for me. Didn't hold my interest whatsoever.

I'll wait for Fallout 3 to provide my post-nuclear free-roaming fix.
humorguy
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 13 Jun 07 6:01 pm Reply with quote

To the neysayers above. This game has already been patched multiple times, and it is totally fine as a game now, with many less bugs than Oblivion had for example - and that game never has been called buggy or anything as far as I have ever seen! It would seem if you are a major publisher you can have bugs (the oblivion 'unofficial' patch has over 500 fixes!!!) coming out of every wall and nothing is said. But a smaller publisher has to deal with the hoo haa about the least and smallest of bugs - it's just not a level playing field!

Who cares if this is free or an expansion, if it's good and changes or adds to the this great game, I will get it! Companies like this need and deserve my money a lot more than the EA's of this world!

Given how incredibly difficult (and yet how great!) it is to do these open-ended free-form games, and how we hardly get more than one every three or four years or so, I wonder why we jump on the smaller publishers doing these games so easily. Boiling Point with the 2.0 patch is a brilliant open-ended game with 100's of hours of great gameplay, great graphics and everything you could want, but gamers and the media still sniff at it as 'buggy'. Now we have the above comments about STALKER. At the same time we see praise for a £19.99 retail price for a 5 hour gameplay expansion called 'half Life 2 Episode One', and we keep quiet as more and more FPS come with less than 15 hours gameplay for your £40!

PC gamers need to look at themselves a little more and see how they are not helping a struggling PC games market with complaints about games like STALKER and Boiling Point and silence when it comes to less and less gaming entertainment for our money in current FPS and RTS games!
jamesy11
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 13 Jun 07 6:40 pm Reply with quote

I concur with humorguy. It is a pretty much accepted fact of PC gaming that we have to put up with patching and bug fixing, I'm not saying its a "good" situation, but it is the situation we have and must make the best of it. I personally love this game, after waiting so long for it, it is still a breath of fresh (iradiated) air, and I look forward to some extra functionality and features being added with the updates. Oh yeah, and the fact that they are saying it is an "update" to me indicates that it is free, and not an "expansion". Of course, you can't please everyone all the time and there will always be something for someone to bitch about, but personally if I like a game I'll stick with it, if the game sucks, so be it, chalk it up to bad judgement and move on, and almost every game you will buy will need some form of patching at some point, fact.
Dajmin
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 18 Jun 07 3:42 pm Reply with quote

I have to say I've never really noticed any bugs while playing STALKER. Thankfully I also got my copy after the first patch which trashed all save games. Phew.

But to call it buggy is silly. The AI is great, the combat is fast and highly dangerous even on the easiest difficulty. The environment is wonderful to run around and explore. It has plenty of scary moments. What more can you ask for?

My only disappointment was the multiplayer. I was hoping this announcement would have been some new modes which added something to the online aspect, because DM and TDM are standard and a bit uninteresting, and the Atrifact Hunt mode is okay for a while, but doesn't draw me back. If the online play matched the single player, this would almost be the perfect game.
Xbox Live: Dajmin
The Ranting Scotsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: