Top of page | Back to index
- Abingdon dictionary of living religions / Keith Crim, general editor
; Roger A.Bullard, Larry D. Shinn, associate editors. Nashville, Tenn. : Abingdon,
- CCL, Reference BL31 A24(LC)
Divinity Library, Trowbridge Reading Room BL31 A24
- Includes signed articles and bibliographies covering the
historical development, beliefs, and observances of religions still practiced.
Includes articles on regional developments of religions which have spread
across wide geographical areas.
- A dictionary of comparative religion; general editor, S.G.F. Brandon..
N.Y.: Weidenfeld & Nicholson,1970.
- SML, Main Reference Room BL31 D53 (LC)
Divinity Library, Trowbridge Reading Room BL31 D54
- A scholarly, one-volume encyclopedia with signed articles
by known authorities covering the world's major and minor religions, modern
and ancient. Most of the articles include bibliographies. A unique feature
is the inclusion of a "synoptic index" for the major religions which provides
a list of all related terms found in the dictionary under the names of both
religions and countries.
- Encyclopedia of African American religions / edited by Larry G.
Murphy, J. Gordon Melton, Gary L. Ward. New York : Garland Pub., 1993.
- SML, Main Reference Room BR563 N4 +E53X 1993 (LC)
Divinity Library, Trowbridge Reading Room Oversize BR563 N4 E53
- Almost two-thirds of the entries in this work are biographies,
but it also provides a basic bibliography, a directory of churches and religious
organizations, lists of religious leaders by denomination, and a detailed
chronology beginning in 1618.
- The encyclopaedia of Islam. New ed. Prepared by a number of leading
Orientalists. Edited by J. H. Kramers, H. A. R. Gibb and E. Levi-Provencal,
under the patronage of the International Union of Academies. Leiden, Brill,
1954- . (In progress)
- SML, Main Reference Room DS37 E5 1954
SML, Arabic/Islamic Reading, Rm 508 DS37 E51 1954
- A completely new edition of the most important, authoritative
reference work in English on Islam and Islamic subjects. Includes long, signed
articles, with bibliographies. Special emphasis is given in this edition to
economic and social topics, but it remains the standard encyclopedic reference
on the Islamic religion in English.
- For a source which focuses primarily on Islam as a religion
(rather than a culture), see Glasse.
- The encyclopedia of religion/ editor in chief,
Mircea Eliade. N.Y.: MacMillan, 1986-87. 16v.
- SML, Main Reference Room BL31 +E56 (LC)
CCL Reference BL31 +E56 1986(LC)
Divinity Library, Trowbridge Reading Room Oversize BL31 E46 1987
- Now the standard, scholarly encyclopedia in the general
field of religion, replacing Hastings' Encyclopedia
of religion and ethics (1908-27). It is intended to "introduce educated,
non-specialist readers to important ideas, practices and persons in the religious
experience of human-kind from the Paleolithic past to our day." (Foreword)
Its long, signed articles by over 1,400 contributors contain bibliographies
and deal with all aspects of religion: doctrines, myths, theologies, ethics,
cults, sacraments, and religious groups. The final volume is a comprehensive
index, including a synoptic outline.
- Encyclopedia of the American religious experience : studies of traditions
and movements / Charles H. Lippy and Peter W. Williams, editors. New York
: Scribner, c1988. 3v.
- SML, Main Reference Room BL2525 +E53 1988 (LC)
Divinity Library, Trowbridge Reading Room Oversize BL2525 E53 1988
- An authoritative, comprehensive work by leading scholars
in history, religion, theology, American studies, sociology, and philosophy.
It consists of 105 essays arranged under nine broad subjects: Approaches to
religion in America; North America:contexts and backgrounds; Jewish and Christian
traditions; Religions outside the Jewish and Christian traditions; Movements
in American religion; American religious thought and literature; Liturgy,
worship and the arts; Religion and the political and social orders; The dissemination
of American religion. Includes selected bibliographies.
- Encyclopaedia of religion and ethics/ ed.
by James Hastings.... N.Y.: Scribner, 1908-27. 13v.
- SML, Main Reference Room BL31 +H37(LC)
- A work of major importance covering religion in all of its
aspects and histories, including related subjects in anthropology, mythology,
folklore, biology, psychology, economics, and sociology. Now largely updated
by The encyclopedia of religion (1986-87), but
still important for its historical perspective. The articles are signed and
include comprehensive bibliographies.
- Glasse, Cyril. The concise encyclopedia of Islam.
San Francisco, CA : Harper & Row, 1989.
- SML, Main Reference Room BP40 G42 1989 (LC)
Divinity Library, Trowbridge Reading Room BP40 G42 1989
Divinity Library, Stacks BP40 G42 1989b
- Melton, J. Gordon. The encyclopedia of American religions. 5th ed.
Detroit : Gale Research, c1996.
- SML, Main Reference Room BL2525 +M449 1996 (LC)
Divinity Library, Trowbridge Reading Room
- Covers religious groups in both the United States and Canada
and consists of essays on the history of religion in those countries, on various
religions and religious movements, and a directory which includes both historical
and contemporary information on those religions and movements.
- The new Scaff-Herzog encyclopedia of religious knowledge: embracing
biblical, historical, doctrinal and practical theology and biblical, theological
and ecclesiastical biography, from the earliest times to the present day ...
. New York: Funk & Wagnalls, 1908-12. 13v.
- SML, Main Reference Room BR95 +S32 (LC)
CCL, Reference BR95 S32 1966 (LC)
Divinity Library, Stack Reference BR95 S43
Divinity Library, Stacks BR95 S43
Beinecke, Reference BR95 S32 1959 (LC)
- Despite its age, still one of the most important encyclopedias
in the field of religion in English. It's based on the third edition of Johann
Jakob Herzog's Realencyklopadie fur protestantische Theologie und Kirche
(Leipzig: Hinrichs, 1896-1913), but new material was added and the bibliographies
accompanying the articles were enhanced. Supplemented by:
- New 20th-century encyclopedia of religious knowledge / edited by
J.D. Douglas ; consulting editors, Robert G. Clouse ...[et al.]. 2nd ed. Grand
Rapids, Mich. : Baker Book House, c1991.
- SML, Main Reference Room BR95 N395X 1991 (LC)
- CCL, Reference BR95 N395X 1991 (LC)
- DIVINITY, Trowbridge Reading Room BR95 N395 1991
- Oxford encyclopedia of the modern Islamic world. New York : Oxford
University Press, 1995. 4v.
- SML, Main Reference Room DS35.53 +O95 1995
SML, Arabic/Islamic Reading, Rm 508 DS35.53 +O95 1995
CCL, Reference DS35.53 +O95 1995
Divinity Library, Trowbridge Reading Room Oversize DS35.53 O95 1995
"... the first comprehensive encyclopedia dedicated to the institutions,
religion, politics, and culture in Muslim societies throughout the world. The
focus throughout is on the Islamic dimension of the Muslim experience in recent
history, with background articles that ground the information in its historical
context. Emphasis is placed on the practice and theory of Islam in Muslim societies
around the globe, including the Arab heartland and South and Southeast Asia,
and Europe and the Americas." (Publisher's catalog)
- Parrinder, Edward Geoffrey. A dictionary of non-Christian
religions. Philadelphia: Westminster Pr., 1971.
- SML, Main Reference Room BL31 P37 (LC)
CCL, Reference BL31 P37 1971 (LC)
Divinity Library, Trowbridge Reading Room BL 31 P36
SSL, Reference BL31 P37 (LC)
Focuses on Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam, but includes entries on religion
and religion-related topics (e.g. gods, heroes, cults, beliefs, and places)
of all the religions of the world.
- Vidal, Jacques. ed. Dictionnaire des religions. 2e
ed. corr. Paris: Presses Universitaires de France, 1984.
- SML, Stacks, BL31 D55 1985(LC)
Divinity Library, Stack Reference, BL31 D55 1985 (LC)
Yale University Library YUL Research Guide in Islam
Prepared October 1997 by Suzanne
Lorimer Copyright (C) 1997, Yale University. All rights reserved.
Comments and questions to Emily Horning
Last updated February 7, 2001
URL is http://www.library.yale.edu/rsc/religion/islam/dicts..htm