Middle Wallop airfield is situated on the A343
between Andover and Salisbury, 6 miles WSW of Andover.
The site had 5 C types and 4 Blister hangers, an all grass landing
area with a maximum available landing run of 4,200 feet, this was
later extended to 5,700 feet, with concrete taxi way around the
landing area and hardstandings
Middle Wallop airfield was exchanged for Ludham airfield by the
Admiralty in February 1945, the station commissioning as H.M.S.
Flycatcher, Royal Naval Air Station Middle Wallop on February 16th,
primarily to house the Headquarters of the Mobile Naval Airfields
Organisation (M.N.A.O.) under the overall command of Captain
The formation programme for the assembly and
despatch of Mobile Naval Airfields resumed with MONAB VI, and was to
end with MONAB X after the end of the war. All other projected units
Unlike at Ludham, the Admiralty decided to operate the Stratton as
an operational airfield, the RN Air Section at Christchurch moved to
take up residence here on February 22nd 1945, and No. 700 squadron
Maintenance Test Pilots School moved here from RNAS Worthy Down 23rd
700 squadron ran 10 week courses for pilots who
had to complete training in a range of aircraft including examples
of all current frontline aircraft in the Fleet Air Arm’s inventory.
The Maintenance Test Pilots school moved to RNAS Yeovilton on April
1st 1946 when middle Wallop closed.
The station was also used for the storage of
reserve aircraft, and acted as the receiving depot for around 50
Mosquito B 25s transferred from the RAF to the RN between May and
H.M.S. Flycatcher paid off on April 10th 1946 and Middle Wallop
closed as a naval sir station and returned to the RAF Fighter
The Mobile Naval Airfields Organisation moved
form Middle Wallop in 1946, being installed at R.N.A.S Lossiemouth,
HMS Fulmar, sometime around July when this station was transferred
from RAF to RN control.
Assembly, equipping, and formation of mobile
airfield units in the UK, and their despatch to their operational
15 Feb 1945
Paid Off :
10 Apr 1946
Captain L. J. S. EDES 15 Feb 1945 to
10 Apr 1946
See the history of the Mobile Naval Airfields
Organisation for a detailed account of operations at Ludham.