No time for wake-up calls
Special teams carrying Texas when offense, defense stumble early

By Jake Veyhl
  • Print
  • Email
Texas running back/receiver Ramonce Taylor tries to shake a tackle earlier this season in Texas'  42-17 victory over Colorado. The 11-0 Longhorns are preparing this week for Colorado once again, who they'll play in this weekend's Big 12 Championship in Houston. With a win, they'll play for the national championship in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 4, but nothing is certain. Texas played Colorado in the Big 12 Championship in 2001 with a trip to the Rose Bowl and national championship on the line, but lost 39-37 after blowing out the Buffs during the regular season.
Media Credit: Meg Loucks
Texas running back/receiver Ramonce Taylor tries to shake a tackle earlier this season in Texas' 42-17 victory over Colorado. The 11-0 Longhorns are preparing this week for Colorado once again, who they'll play in this weekend's Big 12 Championship in Houston. With a win, they'll play for the national championship in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 4, but nothing is certain. Texas played Colorado in the Big 12 Championship in 2001 with a trip to the Rose Bowl and national championship on the line, but lost 39-37 after blowing out the Buffs during the regular season.

Mack Brown said throughout preparation for Texas A&M; last week that he knew the game would be close. The Longhorns rarely leave College Station without a fight.

Brown decided to get that message to his football team by hanging a picture around his neck during Tuesday's practice displaying a rat trap with a piece of cheese.

Brown told his team the previous Thursday about a comment from Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, "Don't bite the cheese." Brown felt it was appropriate for the Longhorns' current situation, where the Rose Bowl appears to be in plain sight, but obstacles still remain.

"There are a lot of people talking about the next game, or the cheese," receiver Quan Cosby said. "In other words, don't bite the cheese or [the trap] will snap down on you."

Brown said he doesn't plan on wearing the rat trap again this week, although the team's situation remains the same. A Texas loss against Colorado in the Big 12 Championship, as when Colorado beat Texas 39-37 in 2001, would likely hamper its shot at a Rose Bowl berth.

"The message is very clear," Cosby said. "If you start talking about the next game, it will backfire on you. It's football history 101."

Since the creation of the BCS, only two teams - UCLA in 1998 and Tennessee in 2001 - entered the final week of the season in position for a championship appearance but failed to make it there. Texas had the chance to take Tennessee's place in the national championship in 2001 but failed to defeat Colorado in the Big 12 Championship game, something it will try to avoid again with the Longhorns and Buffaloes collide Saturday.
Page 1 of 3 next >

Article Tools

The Texan strives to present all information fairly, accurately and completely.
If we have made an error, let us know about it here, or email managingeditor@dailytexanonline.com.

Voice your opinion!

Let your voice be heard. Fill out your comments below.
Be sure to include your name, major, and classification. Submissions without this information are subject to deletion.
By clicking Post, you give The Daily Texan the right to publish your comments in any form, including online and in print in The Firing Line. Please limit your comments to 300 words. The Daily Texan reserves the right to edit all comments for brevity, clarity and liability.
You may also send Firing Lines to the editor at firingline@dailytexanonline.com

ADVERTISEMENTS

Austin Real Estate
Dresses Dresses
New Home Austin Texas
Dresses for Prom
Moroccan Furniture
Concert Tickets
$49 Prom Dresses Bridesmaid
Mortgage Refinancing

Prom Dresses
T-Shirts
Discount Shopping
Real Estate
Texas Longhorns Tickets
Generate traffic! Advertise on dailytexanonline.com

Copyright (c) 2006 The Daily Texan and Texas Student Publications. All Rights Reserved.
Advertising Rates | Around Campus | Back Issues | Contact Us
Submit a Firing Line | Submit Around Campus | Buy Photos
Advertising Supplements | Super Coupons
Texas Student Publications