Google

Google Earth Community

Earth >> History Illustrated

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
Majoska
Tourist

Reged: 09/20/05
Loc: Miami Beach Florida
Ghost Towns Collection-------------Cherry AZ
      #227754 - 12/09/05 10:41 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (9087 downloads)

Note: Please If you know about others ghost towns around the world, feel free to tell ,and post it.
New Add
Cherry Ghost town

Cherry was founded on gold mining in the 1870's. Noteable mines in the area include the Federal, Logan and Gold Bullion mines. About 400 people lived and worked in Cherry during its prime. Enough to support a school (left) and stage stop. Cherry was never incorporated as a town, and did not have a church. Lacking these two establishments, written history of Cherry is scarce. The cemetery has several graves from the 1800's and many recent burials. Nearby is the town fire station, boasting a surplus tank truck with a "No Sniveling" plate on the front bumper.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Historians estimate that there may be as many as 50,000 ghost towns scattered across the United States of America.

Among all famous and not so. Most of them were build up in Gold Rush era.
A ghost town,is a site that has been abandoned, usually because the economic activity that supported it has failed.
Or such as water no longer being available, railroads and highways bypassing or no longer accessing the town as was the case in many of the ghost towns , shifting economic activity elsewhere, human intervention such as highway and river rerouting (see Aral Sea), and nuclear disasters (see Chernobyl).
Chance significant fatality from epidemics has also produced ghost towns; for example, some places in eastern Arkansas were abandoned after near-total morbidity during the Spanish Flu pandemic.
Old mining camps that have lost most of their population at some stage of their history, are sometimes included in the category, although they are active towns and cities today.
Some ghost towns are tourist attractions, especially those that preserve interesting architecture. Visiting, writing about, and photographing them is a minor industry. Other ghost towns may be overgrown, difficult to access, or illegal to visit.

Edited by Majoska (04/12/06 03:51 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!    
mercforhire
Guide

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Underground.
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection (UPDATE EVERY SUNDAY) [Re: Majoska]
      #240103 - 12/19/05 10:31 PM

VERY nice idea. I've got several in Arkansas I know from heart that I'll send you. As I usually do with my posts, I'll just deal with the ones in good resolution areas.

Also, if you run out of research material, I have a "hidden treasure" book, made for metal-detecter users, that lists locations & has rough maps of about 20 or so to each state. I think the book only deals with the SE part of the U.S., but I can't remember.

If you get interested, let me know & I'll scan the appropriate pages & E-Mail'em to ya.

--------------------
Think you found an old air-base?? Identify it over here.

johntrim
Tourist

Reged: 09/05/05
Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection (Update) [Re: Majoska]
      #247236 - 12/26/05 04:52 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (295 downloads)

Hi there Majoska. Here is a place you might want to add to the collection. It is called Draw Bridge and it is located at the southern tip of San Francisco Bay. Here are a couple of web pages with some info about the history of this place.

http://www.ghosttown.info/ca/drawbridge/

http://www.sanjose.com/underbelly/unbelly/Draw/draw1.html

Take Care and have a good day.

--------------------
Every journey begins with one step.

John

LA PD Divisions
NYPD Precinct Houses
Dirty Harry 1971 Movie Locations
Warner Bros Ranch TV & Movie Locations
The Kalakala A wonderfully differant kind of ferry

http://www.myspace.com/johntrim040851
http://www.youtube.com/user/johntrim040851
http://www.myboomerplace.com/profile.php?id=1414

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection (Update) [Re: johntrim]
      #247283 - 12/26/05 05:57 AM

johntrim Many thanx man....for you contribution. to GE comunity. We keep Learning Click Here for placemark

Edited by Majoska (02/15/06 01:39 PM)

johnemil
Tourist

Reged: 01/16/05
Victoria Michigan [Re: Majoska]
      #250286 - 12/28/05 01:01 PM

Old Victoria, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, is an old copper mining town being restored.

Old Victoria web page

john emil

santiagotazon
Tourist

Reged: 12/16/05
The Ghost Town of Kolmanskop (Namibia) [Re: Majoska]
      #264669 - 01/08/06 07:37 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (297 downloads)

The Ghost Town of Kolmanskop (Namibia)
It was a diamond-mining town. It was abandoned in the 50s. All the town have been invaded by the dunes and many buildings are covered by sand.

--------------------
Santiago Tazon
Zaragoza -SPAIN-

www.afriblog.org

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Town of Kolmanskop (Namibia) [Re: santiagotazon]
      #265110 - 01/08/06 12:49 PM

thanx for you contribution

Unfortunately we have little information about the ghost towns out of U.S. Cheers

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns C. A. Coppin’s Camp Shangra-la. [Re: Majoska]
      #297558 - 02/01/06 08:23 PM

C. A. Coppin’s Camp Shangra-la. Click For Placemark
We found this Info thanx to this Web Site

In the Late 1940's and early 50's Coppin offered a mining experience here at what he called the Dude Gold Mine. It was sort of a dude mine along the lines of the dude ranches popular at the time. There were several cabins and some amenities to be had. Coppin also bottled and sold the water that drained from the mine as
Coppin Mineral Water. That activity ends in the early 50's.

Edited by Majoska (02/20/06 07:59 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection ---Altona [Re: Majoska]
      #298589 - 02/02/06 02:29 PM

Altona
Altona Originally called Modoc (1874-79), Altona was a post office [Peter Haldi Postmaster] and business point near mouth of Left Hand Canyon until 1916. Occupants: George Bader and Samuel Arbutnot, pioneers. Search for Arbutnot Surname. Elevation: 5599 ft.

Allenspark
Est. 1896; named for Alonzo N. Allen who discovered gold nearby in 1864; stage stop bet. Ward and Estes Park Community, 2000 population 496

Edited by Majoska (02/15/06 08:59 PM)

CyclonicModerator
Frequent Flyer

Reged: 09/05/05
Loc: Connecticut - USA
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection (NOW with 76 Towns) [Re: Majoska]
      #299632 - 02/03/06 11:54 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (224 downloads)

Heya Majoska, great idea!
We have one here in Connecticut close to where I live called Dudleytown. Its no longer a town and the area is now part of Cornwall, CT. If you turn on roads you can see it used to be accessed by 3 roads on all sides of it. The town was located on top of the mountain, where it was hard to grow any crops. Thus, people moved out of there little by little over the years. There is a big curse involved with the Dudley family (3 brothers) that the town was named after in the early 1700s. And there are rumors and scary stories about the ghosts of dudleytown haunting the woods in the area ever since.
You can read all about it here.
The Curse of Dudleytown, CT

--------------------
-------------------------------------
--===*Collections*===--
-------------------------------------
**All Aircraft in Flight**
**Crop Circle Collection**
**The Maze Collection**
**The In-Flight ID Charts**

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection --Ruby City, [Re: Majoska]
      #300834 - 02/04/06 11:09 AM

Ruby City, Cementery mining camp Washington PLACEMARK was founded around 1888 in Okanogan County by prospectors and miners who had flocked there in large numbers, due in large part, to rich discoveries of silver ore. Within a brief period, Ruby, also known as the Queen City of the Okanogan County mining boom had become one of the liveliest and best-known mining camps in the Northwest

Edited by Majoska (02/15/06 08:56 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-US Canada -Barron - [Re: Majoska]
      #301636 - 02/05/06 04:19 AM

Barron Ghostown CLICK FOR PLACEMARK
Overnight, Barron became a western boom town sprouting multiple saloons, stores, and assorted shelters to serve the 2,500 miners employed in the district.

Guy Waring, Methow Trading Post in the town of Barron
Dance hall girls kicked up their high heels doing the can-can at the Barron Hotel. Most workers had some discretionary money and as a result, gambling was rampant.

These miners were mostly middle-aged men, and they enjoyed adult amusements while at Barron, far from the constraints of the law and "proper" ladies. During its short, hectic tenure in the Slate Creek District, the town of Barron had reaching effects.

But in 1907 when the mines in the area failed to produce promised riches, apparently the inhabitants of Barron became panic-stricken and within weeks, everyone deserted the town of Barron.

Edited by Majoska (02/15/06 08:57 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns ------- Bolster Washigton st [Re: Majoska]
      #302009 - 02/05/06 09:46 AM

The early day boom town of Bolster was located within sight of the Canadian border. Bolster started in a mining flurry when the area was opened to mineral entry in 1896. Bolster was platted in 1899 by J.W.McBride. There were three stores, post office, assay office, newspaper called "The Bolster Drill," several saloons, Doctor Beale’s office, and a three-story hotel. The boom collapsed in 1900 and the business life was of short duration. OPEN PLACEMARK

By 1904 Bolster was practically deserted, but the post office remained until 1909. Today it would hard to tell, as one drives by the old Bolster site, that there had ever been a population of 200 or 300 souls.

As one drives toward the Canadian boundary two miles north of Chesaw, three old weather-beaten buildings of a pioneer type may be seen standing in a field near the Pickering modern farm home.
A casual visitor to this peaceful, quiet area might mistake them for abandoned homesteaders' shacks, little suspecting that they mark the main street where the gay, bustling town of Bolster once stood.

In 1900 miners' picks and drills were active on both sides of this Myers Creek Valley, eventually stirring up considerable excitement at such properties as the nearby Gray Eagle and Tico mines.

Edited by Majoska (02/15/06 08:58 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection- Ghost Town:Chesaw [Re: Majoska]
      #303176 - 02/06/06 09:31 AM

Ghost Town:Chesaw OPEN PLACEMARK
The name of the town is unusual. Placer gold was discovered before the turn of the century in the area.
The result was a stampede of miners into this mining district. When the miners arrived to their surprise they discovered numbers of Oriental miners already in the area. One of the most prominent of
the Orientals was a former placer miner called Chee Saw. He had a small ranch and store not to far from the diggings. The white miners soon
began purchasing their supplies from the Chinese merchant. Before long the phrase "Chee Saw’s" became a byword for fair prices and honest deals, and
eventually it evolved into simply "Chesaw" the name the town bears today. By the turn of the century the region had become a lodestone for hard rock
miners and fantastic discoveries were made. Chesaw quickly developed into a substantial mining town. By 1910 there were forty buildings in Chesaw.

Edited by Majoska (02/14/06 07:29 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Chesterfield, Idaho Pioneer town [Re: Majoska]
      #304272 - 02/07/06 05:49 AM

Chesterfield, Idaho Pioneer town

OPEN PLACEMARK

Chesterfield is an early pioneer settlement established in 1880 that is now unoccupied. It was originally said to be named for founder Chester Call; others said it was named for his birthplace Chesterfield, England.
The Oregon Trail passed through the town, and the settlers helped travelers who at this point were tired, or ill. The town grew to some 400 people, but eventually the changing world brought about its abandonment.
The Oregon Trail fell into disuse, the railroad and main roads passed far to the south by Idaho Falls.
A visit to Chesterfield is a unique trip back in time and a chance to experience the rural agricultural life of a community whose deep faith helped them endure the hardships of life on the frontier.
There are 27 structures overlooking the beautiful Portneuf Valley near Bancroft. Chesterfield is being restored by descendents of the early settlers and volunteers. The meeting house now is a museum and tours are available.
Address: From Interstate 15, head east on US Highway 30 towards Soda Springs, Idaho. About five miles past Lava Hot Springs, Idaho take the local road to Bancroft, Idaho. Continue for another ten miles north to a town time has forgot, Chesterfield.

Edited by Majoska (02/14/06 07:28 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-US -------- Conconull [Re: Majoska]
      #304950 - 02/07/06 05:35 PM

Ghost Town Conconully.
At first glance you would probably never suspect that this small town, in the hills of western Okanogan, was once the county seat. It was a beacon for prospectors all over the west. They came streaming in, first to Ruby, an overnight mining camp just south of Conconully.
It originally was known as "Salmon City" after mineralized ledges of high grade ore were discovered in the Salmon Creek area. These discoveries were made in 1886. Before long Salmon City was born. Certainly Salmon City was more suited to be the county seat then its smaller rival of Ruby and its citizens began working toward that goal.
By 1891, the name of the town had been changed to Conconully, and it had become the county seat, removing the title from Ruby.
For several years, Conconully flourished. The silver was flowing in steadily and main street became quite a showplace. In 1893 the price of silver dropped, but even that failed to halt its progress. In 1894 a wall of water from Salmon Creek swept down the main street, destroying many of the businesses in its path, the town never quite recovered.
This church built in 1903 is one of the few old remaining buildings still standing in Conconully today. So, gradually, Conconully began to fade. But when the county seat was lost to the town of Okanogan in 1914, a gloom had settled over the once boom town. By the 1920s much of the splendor of Conconully of old had vanished. The town is still there today, nestled in the hills. Not much remains from the 1890s but many abandoned mines every where in the area attest to the fact that Conconully was the most important town in the Okanogan County.

Edited by Majoska (02/07/06 05:36 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-US Canada Cle Elum [Re: Majoska]
      #305867 - 02/08/06 01:06 PM

Cle Elum Click For Placemark
The economy of Cle Elum has managed to keep pace with changes in railroading, coal mining, and saw milling. It now depends primarily on logging and recreation. The Native Americans referred to it as the
"beautiful valley," but what ultimately spurred white settlement of the upper county communities of Cle Elum and Roslyn was something dark dug out of the ground-coal, black gold. Although rich in Native American history and lore, the northern portion of Kittitas County was not the
home of year-round Yakama Indian settlements. The Yakamas did frequent the area during the summer months to fish and pick berries. Cle Elum (which means "swift waters") traces its history to 1881 and a pair
of friends from Pennsylvania, Walter J. Reed and Thomas Gamble.

Edited by Majoska (02/14/06 07:28 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-US Canada Bannack, MT [Re: Majoska]
      #306431 - 02/09/06 03:24 AM

Bannack, MT
The road between Bannack and Virginia City was the scene of more holdups, robberies and murders than almost any other comparable stagecoach route.
The outlaw gang had for its mastermind the Sheriff of Bannack, Henry Plummer! Plummer set himself up as a preserver of the peace, guardian of law and order. He soon became official sheriff, built
this jail and had rings put in the floor so that prisoners could not escape merely by punching a hole in the sod-roof.
Plummer pulled the strings that ended in over a hundred murders and a bonanza of money and jewelry taken from unfortunate stagecoach
travelersAt last, a roused committee of citizens formed the Vigilantes which unmasked Plummer and threw him into his own jail. His tenure
therein was short. In short order a gallows was erected back of the saloon and the erstwhile sheriff was strung up.

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-US Canada Idaho City [Re: Majoska]
      #307001 - 02/09/06 12:45 PM

Idaho City is one famous mining camp that has refused to die and instead has prospered into the thriving community that it is today.
During its early years it was knows Bannock City or West Bannock to differentiate between Bannock, Montana, since at that time both towns were in Idaho Territory. Click Here for Placemark

In 1863, Idaho City had a propulation of six thousand and was being seriously considered for the territorial capital.
It lost out, however, and in 1864 the territorial capital was moved to Boise City from Lewinston. With the printing of The Boise News in 1863, Idaho City could at least boast it had a newspaper a year earlier than Boise. The Boise News was later changed to The Idaho World.

Edited by Majoska (02/13/06 04:35 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-Virginia City, Montana [Re: Majoska]
      #308221 - 02/10/06 11:08 AM

Click Here for Placemark Virginia City, Montana
The very much alive ghost town, Virginia City, Montana, is frozen in time.
It is a remarkably well preserved old west Victorian gold mining town just 20 miles west of Yellowstone National Park (90 miles by road).
When the gold ran out, there was still enough left so that homes and businesses were occupied, but there was not enough wealth to remodel the buildings.
So it froze, and now represents the whole Victorian era. It is a true and original Old West.
It is a gem, held within an incredibly rich area of natural beauty, recreation and history. Adjacent to Virginia City is Nevada City, filled with buildings and artifacts that will impress you. For many years Virginia City, Montana was a Rebel town in Union territory.

Edited by Majoska (02/17/06 08:08 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-US Canada----BAY HORSE [Re: Majoska]
      #308980 - 02/11/06 03:51 AM

BAY HORSE Custer Co. Click For Placemark
A class C-silver mining town five miles west of SH 75 at a point seven miles south of Challis.
The mines were discovered in 1877.
A smelter, stamp mill and six charcoal kilns were built to process the ore. The main street was lined with wooden saloons, boarding houses, stores and other businesses.

In 1893 silver was demonetized and the economy took a tumble, taking Bay Horse with it. By the early 1920s, the town was deserted. Wooden buildings still stood in the 1980s.Of interest to tourists today are the charcoal ovens used to make charcoal for the smelter and some buildings along the dirt main street

Edited by Majoska (02/15/06 08:55 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-Irish Town [Re: Majoska]
      #310096 - 02/11/06 08:38 PM

Irish Town Click For Placemark

Located in Allegany State Park. Site seldom visited, not well known. Infact just recently rediscovered. Located about 4mi. n.e. of the town of Limestone, on Irish Brook Rd.
You have to park a short distance down the road at the old Irish Town Cemetary and walk about 2 mi. to town. There are on structures but if you look along the old road youll see the old stone foundations in the woods. REMAINS: bridge foundations,ponds,building foundations

Edited by Majoska (02/14/06 07:27 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Fayette, Michigan, [Re: Majoska]
      #310791 - 02/12/06 10:23 AM

Fayette, Michigan, Click For Placemark

Michigan's Upper Peninsula is littered with ghost towns, monuments to the lumber and mining industries that flared in the last century and then quickly burned themselves out. One of those towns, Fayette, a little iron mining town near Escanaba with a colorful but short history, has been restored and now mines tourists instead of iron ore.

Although guidebooks persist in describing it as a "ghost town," historian Thomas Friggens objects to use of the term, as the town was never completely deserted.

Sailors called Fayette's protected harbor the Snail Shell Harbor.

Back in the days when the charcoal-smelted iron industry was flourishing, Fayette had a population of a thousand souls. A 1930 article in The Detroit News reported that "former residents say it was the closest that any community ever has come to measuring up to the standards of the mythical Utopia." Some doubt this depiction of the town's "idyllic life," pointing to records that show there was plenty of hardship.

Fayette was founded in 1867 and boomed for about 20 years. Like lumbering, the charcoal iron industry left a trail of towns fallen on hard times when it faded. The industry dwindled with the depletion of the hardwood timber from which charcoal was made. The charcoal furnaces could not compete with the soft coal smelters established in the Pittsburgh, Pa., and Gary, Ind., districts. It was more economical to ship ore to the lower lake mills than to transport coal to upper Michigan and then ship the pig iron back. Incidentally, the term "pig iron" came from the shape of the molds into which the molten iron was poured. They looked like piglets with a sow.

Fayette was named for Fayette Brown, one of the directors of the Jackson Iron Company, which constructed the town's first blast furnace. The first pig iron was cast on Christmas Day in 1867.

Michigan Historical Museum photo
The town's stock barn crew poses on Fayette's main street.

Ore was shipped from a mine in Negaunee by rail to Escanaba, where it was loaded onto a schooner, the J. B. Kitchen, and taken to Fayette. The company owned about l6,000 acres of hardwood timber land near Fayette. When the timber was finally all cut down and had been converted by the kiln process into charcoal, the company was forced to close down.

The village, which consisted of a large hotel, store, town hall, dwelling houses, docks and furnaces, was valued at more than a quarter million dollars when Fayette was in its glory. It was sold in l920 for $l0,000. Even in its decadent stage, Fayette was charming. There is a natural harbor known to sailors as Snail Shell Harbor because of its peculiar shape. Many a ship, buffeted by heavy gales on Lake Michigan, sought refuge there. In 1883, the steamer Lady Washington put up in the harbor and saved Fayette from burning down.

There was always the danger of fire in the town. Kenneth LaFayette, in his book "Flaming Brands" wrote about a fire on the evening of May l2, l883, that started in the stock house and nearly destroyed the entire iron-making concern:

"The warehouse clerk was the first to notice the flames at the corner of the building nearest the bay and he gave the alarm. Soon, every able-bodied person was fighting the wind-driven fire. The fire engine was placed near the buildings and while ... men, women and children ... worked with all their strength ... pumping the hand engine ... ,the inadequate stream of water was fed to the flames. Those not pumping the engine carried pails of water from nearby Lake Michigan and threw them uselessly on the fire. It was thought that the whole town was doomed. Then, the steamer "Lady Washington" moved from her moorings and ... started her pumps. In a short time, the fire was extinguished as it was beginning to threaten the second casting house.

"The first flames spotted by the clerk had spread rapidly inside the stock house where the timbers and beams were coated with charcoal dust collected over the years. The dust acted like fast fuses and sent trails of fire in all directions. Sixty-five thousand bushels of charcoal stored there caught fire and destroyed the building. The engine house, top house and other builldings were also destroyed, amounting to a $40,000 loss. The Lady Washington aided in saving the two bare stacks, the engines, one casting house and the hot blasts and boilers. The steamer also saved the coal kilns near the bay, a large supply of cord wood, and the lower docks."

Fayette had its colorful personalities. There was "Pig Iron" Fred Hink, a husky man who handled the 100- to 150-pound iron pigs with perfect ease for long hours without showing any sign of fatigue.

Another character was Harry Merry, son of the superintendent of Jackson Iron Company, who managed to inject a wild and woolly western atmosphere into the peaceful community. He had spent a couple of years on a ranch in the West and took great delight in doing things in Western style. He was fond of riding bucking broncos. Sometimes he would dress up like a cow puncher, shoot with his two guns at some friend's feet to make him dance, or rope someone with his lariat.

Kenneth LaFayette tells this story: One day while Merry was in an Escanaba saloon, "a big fellow walked in and started pushing the barkeeper around for some past grievance and threatening everyone in the place. Merry, not used to this type of abuse, calmly drew his pistol and shot the troublemaker in the foot, putting him out of commission for a few days and restoring order .... He was applauded for his community spirit."

The city also had its bootlegger. During the 1870s, Michigan was experimenting with prohibition under a state Dry Act. About two miles from the town was the Hole in the Ground saloon, operated by Alph Berlanquette. It was patronized by furnace employees, particularly on weekends and paydays. The Jackson Iron Company made an earnest effort to enforce the state prohibition law in the township, but without much success.

Berlanquette's saloon was on the shore of Sand Bay and rum runners were as active bringing liquor from Green Bay, Wis., as later bootleggers were bringing the wet stuff across the Detroit River in the 1930s.
There were floating saloons, too. Usually on paydays or festive occasions, a well-stocked liquor boat would anchor off Fayette and small boats were sent ashore to collect customers. One stormy night, three Fayette men drowned when their small craft capsized while they were returning from a floating saloon.

Berlanquette died, and the Hole in the Ground saloon was taken over by Jim Summers, a notorious character, who soon converted the place into an infamous resort. It lasted until the respectable residents of the town were aroused by the story of a girl who had been lured there from Milwaukee. She escaped, and when Summers tried to force her to return, a mob descended on the brothel. Summers was beaten and the building burned. Summers left Fayette in a hurry.

Fayette and the surrounding countryside have been the scene of many feverish treasure hunts. There are several stories of buried gold, some of them legendary and others more plausible. The one in which more credence is placed, however, is the tale of the hoarded money of saloon owner Berlanquette.

Berlanquette's profits were believed to be immense. He spent little and never dealt with a bank, but when he died he left his widow penniless. The supposition was that he had cached his money as he did his liquor, in a cave. After his death, all the caverns in the region were explored, and much digging was done. There is a rumor that the treasure was found around 1910, but it was never substantiated.

A huge oak tree frames this view of a one-time ghost town.

A brochure from the Fayette State Park tells us that Fayette was a "company" town. The Jackson Iron Co. built and owned the homes of the employees - the hotel and the boarding house for single men, as well as frame dwellings and log cabins for married employees. It also built the general store, butcher's shop and barber shop. The employee accounts were kept in the company office, and boarding costs, food and other purchases, as well as company doctor fees were deducted from paychecks. The store was an example of the benevolent paternalism practiced by the company.

Most of the workers were semi- or unskilled and worked long hours. They made $l-$l.50 a day, decent wages for the time. There were the inevitable periods of unemployment. Some stretched their food budgets with gardening and fishing or took in boarders. Ladies' coats were $6, skirts and corsets $l.25. Men's suits were $l7. Shirts 85 cents to $4.50; trousers $4 and suspenders 40 cents. Toys were 50 cents for a doll, a dish set went for 31 cents, marbles 65 cents, toy cart 80 cents.

For recreation and entertainment, there was the Town Hall, also called the "Opera House," a two-story structure that housed shops on the main floor and featured stage plays and social gatherings upstairs. Horse races and baseball game were popular entertainment. When the town's baseball club traveled for an away game, a steamer was often chartered to carry along the Fayette cornet band and spectators. The winter months were brightened by parties, dances, and masquerades held in the hall. Music was often provided by the Fayette Cornet Band

This furnace still stands, unused for more than 100 years.

The town changed hands several times before it was purchased in 1959 by the state. A Detroit News article by James Kerwin in October 1979, told of the restoration of Fayette:
Every year, the ancient rite of the Blessing of the Fleet takes place in Fayette's beautiful Snail Shell Harbor. The ceremony was described in a Detroit News article Aug. 1, 1962:

"The ancient rite of the Blessing of the Fleet will be solemnized next Sunday. Priests from St. Peter the Fisherman parish, in existence since 1876 when Fayette was the center of a bustling iron smelting industry, will march in procession from the church to the bay for the ceremony. All craft in the harbor will be blessed after a memorial service in which 17-year-old Sally Pelletier, of Garden, this year's Queen of the Fleet, will toss flowers on the water for men of the parish who died on the Great Lakes. Although the Blessing of the Fleet has been solemnized here since 1949, this is the first year the ceremony will be held in the Fayette State Park. Boats come from miles along the shore of northern Lake Michigan, from harbors in the Lower Peninsula and even from Lake Superior."

The ceremony continues to this day.

Edited by Majoska (02/14/06 07:27 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-Mount Ophir [Re: Majoska]
      #311696 - 02/13/06 05:59 AM

click for placemark Mount Ophir
was the site of the first private mint in california.The mint was built in 1851 by John Moffat who had been appointed to the office of United States Assayer for California by President Tyler. The Mount Ophir Mint turned out hexagonal gold slugs of fifty-dollar denomination.Louis Trabucco also had a well-established trading post there.It was well patronized by miners and packers .Next to the old Trabucco store once stood a large two-store frame hotel built some time after the stone store.Mount Ophir during the early 1850s was a large camp,and stores and tents straggled along the main road for quite a distance.

Edited by Majoska (02/13/06 04:34 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-BATSTO, New Jersey, [Re: Majoska]
      #312298 - 02/13/06 02:49 PM

Batsto restored State Historic Site
BATSTO, New Jersey, is a class C/F (restored&;State Historic Site)

This iron-forge village is located along the Batsto River in Wharton State Forest, on SSH 542, nine miles east of Hammonton, deep in the heart of New Jersey’s famed Pine Barrens. IN THE BEGINNING

This major bog iron forge village was founded in 1766 by Charles Read.
In addition to supplying needed iron products to local citizens, the furnaces also supplied war material to the colonists in their battles with the British during the Revolutionary War.
The charcoal that fueled the furnaces was produced from locally felled trees.
After the war ended, brickyards, glassworks, gristmill, iron forge and sawmill all contributed to the local economy, and the town grew to a population of about 1000.

Coal-powered furnaces were more efficient, and as they grew in popularity, locations with charcoal-powered furnaces declined.
Batsto's charcoal-powered forges soon became unprofitable, and by 1848 they shut down. The town followed suit, and in 1874 a fire destroyed half of the nearly abandoned town.

Joseph Wharton purchased the site in 1876, and operated a sawmill and did some farming for a number of years.
BATSTO – TODAY
In 1954 the town site was purchased by the state of New Jersey, and Wharton State Forest was established. Batsto was partially restored, and is now a designated State Historic Site. Some of the 40 or so buildings and town sites that have been rebuilt include the ironmaster's mansion, the furnace, the gristmill, and the sawmill. A minimal fee is required to visit this site.

In addition to being a state historic site, Batsto Village is also on the National Register of Historic Places.
For more information about the Batsto Village Historic

Edited by Majoska (03/21/06 05:44 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection-Wilson, Michigan [Re: Majoska]
      #312766 - 02/14/06 02:54 AM

Wilson, Michigan
The old Wilson saloon is still open for business, and you can but a drink - soft, hard or inbetween - at the original mahogany bar from the Finnish barmaid or from one of one of the owners, Joyce and Clarence O'Sullivan, a general Irish couple (except she's Lithuanian) who bought the place thirty years ago and live next door.
The bar itself is high off the floor. It's what they used to call a stand-up bar. The lumberjacks and millhands would "belly-up" to the bar for their drinks. The way they figured it, bar stools were for sissies and loose women.
In these decadent times, however, there are tall bar stools for the clientele, which consists mainly of the pick-up truck trade..
Business isn't rushing, but it's steady and the O'Sullivans do all right. .
It's better in the winter than summer, Joyce says, and better on rainy days than sunny, .
when there's nothing else to do. Clarence says that the building hasn't changed a bit since it was built in .
1902 by the Menominee Brewing Company, except maybe that the celing has been lowered a little..
Back then, the ghost town of Wilson, on old U.S. 2 in Menominee County 17 miles west of Escanaba, was all ready thirty years old..
In 1871, the Chicage and North Western Railroad came through Spalding .
Township on its way from Green Bay to Escanaba, and built a depot to serve the charcoal kilns at a little settlement the railroad called Ferry Switch. .
Other than the charcoal kilns there wasn't much to it, but the town came back to life and started growing in 1881, .
when Frank D. Wilson built a big sawmill there. It got its first post office as Myra on February 24, 1881; and Daniel McIntyre, who built the first big general store, was its first postmaster. .
That same year, the name was changed to Wilson, and the sawmill owner replaced the storekeeper as postmaster. The first school was built in 1881. .
After that, the town grew by leaps and bounds, reaching a peak of more than four hundred people around 1910. .
In addition to the big sawmill, which speculated in cutting railroad ties, .
Wilson had a shingle mill, two general stores, a hotel, blacksmith shops, two saloons, and several chesse factories..
One of its most important buildings, a two-story brick mansion, was built by August Enfield, owner of one of the general stores..
Wilson continued to flourish into the 1920's. Clarence O'Sullivan says that the second floor of the Wilson saloon was a dance hall. .
The finest dance bands from Wisconsin made it a must-stop on the polka circuit. People from miles around came to Wilson on Saturday nights and danced into the wee hours. Even as late as 1927, Wilson had a population of over four hundred. .
Then things began to slide. The sawmill closed and the chese factories went out of business. People moved away, looking for work. Fundamentally, Wilson had two strikes against it. .
One, it was too close to Escanaba and therefore, unnecessary; two, it was on old U.S. 2 and thus practically invisable. .
The C&NW trains still pass through Wilson but they don't stop any more. The old depot, discontinued in 1950, was moved away several years ago and now serves as a storage warehouse..
Along with the saloon and two to three other empty buildings, the old Enfield mansion still stands, but its windows and doors are boarded up now, and the weeds and brush flourish like a jungle around it..
Wilson still has its post office; and you can still buy a drink at the old Wilson saloon, the last and only business in town

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-US Canada CEDAR KEY [Re: Majoska]
      #313927 - 02/14/06 07:51 PM

CEDAR KEY Levy Co. Open Placemark
Just offshore, at the west end of SH 24, along the west coast of state, 54 miles southwest of Gainesville. This class E seaport/lumber town was a major Gulf Coast seaport and one of the largest cities in the state in the early 1800s. In the early 1860s a fort was located here. After the Civil War, the port was a major timber, fishing and ship building center. Then in 1896 a hurricane ripped the town, and it never regained its status. Today the historic old town of Cedar Key is a quiet fishing village and resort with a 1990 population of 668 people, way below what it was in the 1800s.

Edited by Majoska (02/15/06 08:54 PM)

vulture38
Guide

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Lost in cyberSpace
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection-Tabaco, CO [Re: Majoska]
      #313946 - 02/14/06 08:00 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (108 downloads)

I couldn't resist sharing this

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/tabaco.html

Edited by jtabaco (03/30/06 05:49 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection-US Canada---(Now 95) [Re: vulture38]
      #314225 - 02/15/06 04:43 AM

yeap I read this tabaco in spanish Cigar what a odd name for a town thanx for you post

NAME: Tabaco
COUNTY: Los Animas
ROADS: 4WD
GRID: 1
CLIMATE: Warm
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Spring COMMENTS: An old mineing town
REMAINS: Old cattle pens and a few old houses
Tabaco became a community in 1901. it's only a mile from Road Canyon and 17 miles from Trinidad. It had

Edited by Majoska (02/15/06 04:44 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-Amidon North Dakota [Re: Majoska]
      #314667 - 02/15/06 11:04 AM

Amidon North Dakota

THE BEGINNING Amidon was founded in 1910 and named after a Fargo District Judge, Charles F. Amidon. On May
13, 1911, the post office was established and in 1915 Amidon incorporated as a village,
and was given temporary custody of the county seat of Slope County, which was formed in 1914
when it separated from Billings County.
The church was still used for services and was occupied by
Congregational, Presbyterian and
Church of God congregations. In 1976 it was still in use as the Church of God.
AMIDON - YESTERDAY
In its early days, Amidon had a Ford automobile dealership (The Amidon Garage), ballroom, two
banks (both on Main Street – one was the Slope County State Bank), Amidon Barber Shop,
blacksmith, Inman’s Bowling Alley/pool hall with upstairs dance hall, several churches (Catholic,
Community – see above & Lutheran), Landquist’s Drug and Confectionery Store (had a soda fountain
and the library), Grange Service (gas) Station
, three general stores, two grocery
stores (one with the post office inside), Solberg Hardware store, Amidon Hotel, Ireland’s Livery
Stable, Slope Lumber Co. lumber yard, two newspapers (Farmers'
Press & the Slope County
News),
two print shops, two real estate offices, The Hub Restaurant (closed in 1950s), school,
Grand Theater (motion pictures – torn down in 1970)
, Silvius’ Undertaking
Parlor/mortician, as well as the courthouse.
There was also a doctor, tailor and two title & abstract
offices. The population peaked at 162 in 1930, after which Amidon began to decline
. In 1940 the population was 141, in 1970 – 54, and in 1980 –

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection-Fort Washigton [Re: Majoska]
      #315777 - 02/16/06 07:06 AM

Ghost Town:Fort Washigton
FORT WASHINGTON Prince Georges Co.
This class C/F (restored) major army fort overlooks the
Potomac River, almost directly opposite Mount Vernon, seven miles
south of Oxon Hill, west of SH 210. It was one of a system of
Coastal Defense Forts being built to protect the entire east coast. Washington, D.C. was this fort's prime protectee.
It was built

between 1808 and 1809. Because the gun emplacements faced the river, the British ducked around the back side of the fort
with impunity when the marched on Washington on August
19, 1814. The next day, Captain Samuel Dyson retreated and destroyed the fort and all its munitions, rather than surrender it to
the British. A month later, construction began on a new fort, and it was remodeled and strengthened, and additional cannon
batteries were added in the mid 1840s, and again in 1898 for the
Spanish-American War. Fort Washington remained an active fort until
it was decommissioned in1946. Many buildings were
removed, but the remaining buildings were preserved as a National
Historic Park.

Edited by Majoska (02/16/06 07:27 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection--VICTORIA,Michigan [Re: Majoska]
      #316531 - 02/16/06 06:54 PM

VICTORIA
Located on Victoria Dam Road,, about two miles southwest of Rockland, this class C (partially restored) copper mining town was originally founded in 1847. It reached a population of 1800, many of whom were Cornish miners. The mines were active until 1921, while the post office remained open until 1935. It currently has four buildings restored, and the Society for the Preservation of Victoria is actively in process of raising money to continue efforts to restore other buildings in the old town.

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection--Graysonia Arkansas [Re: Majoska]
      #316948 - 02/17/06 05:00 AM

Graysonia
Arkansas Located in the northwest portion of Clark Co., about 10 miles southeast of Amity. It is on the banks of the Antoine River southwest of De Grey Lake, and about 80 miles southwest of Little Rock. Rubble and ruins remain of this one-time lumber town that once had a population of 700. It was active from 1907-1930s. The post office closed in 1950.

Edited by Majoska (03/04/06 02:11 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection--ELKHORN [Re: Majoska]
      #317785 - 02/17/06 06:17 PM

ELKHORN

North of SH 69, near Elkhorn Peak, 20 miles
northeast of Boulder and 28 miles south of Helena.
Elkhorn looks like a Hollywood movie prop,
but is a genuine, classic ghost town,
another of the country's best.
Elkhorn is mostly privately owned, but two of the buildings
comprise the State Historic Park,
and have been preserved in a state of arrested deterioration.
These two have had their wood preserved to prevent further decay.
The town boomed from 1872 into the 1890s.
A few residents watch over this majestic ghost.

Edited by Majoska (02/17/06 06:24 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection------REED GOLD MINE [Re: Majoska]
      #318856 - 02/18/06 02:28 PM

REED GOLD MINE Open This Placemark
Cabarrus Co. 1.6 miles southwest of Georgetown, which is on SH 200,
14.4 miles southeast of Concord. This is the site where America’s love affair with gold first began,
when in 1799 a young boy of 12 named
Conrad John Reed found a large gold nugget in a local
creek. More gold was found and a small rush
ensued to the Carolina Piedmont region.

Edited by Majoska (02/18/06 02:51 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection------Volcano California [Re: Majoska]
      #319581 - 02/19/06 05:15 AM

Volcano Ghostown California
Amador County. The California Gold Rush aura still exudes throughout this
Open This Placemark
wonderfully quiet and expressive class D,
gold rush era mining town located three miles northeast of Pine
Grove. Pine Grove is on SH 88, eight miles
northeast of Jackson. Volcano is a sleepy small town today,
and has many rock buildings and ruins dating
back to the 1849 period.
Volcano is California Historic Landmark #29.

Edited by Majoska (02/19/06 07:28 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection------Cisco Grand Utah [Re: Majoska]
      #320256 - 02/19/06 01:24 PM

CISCO Grand Co . In the 1930s, this tiny map dot
Open Placemark

was a busy road town with several hundred people.
It was located on what was US 6/50.
Cisco is 5.8 miles southwest of I-70 at EXIT 220, 16.7 miles west of the state line, 50 miles east of Green River.
Cisco spreads nearly a mile, with a cluster of buildings at the central point.
These include a burnt-out concrete block gas station with a colorful mural painted on the walls.
To the west squat, sod-roofed, railroad-tie structures along with four
clapboard buildings,
one of which looks like it may have been an old store.
To the south are a few lived-in mobile homes and cabins.

We found this Info thanx to this Web Site

Edited by Majoska (02/19/06 02:02 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection----BONANZA CITY Idaho [Re: Majoska]
      #321045 - 02/20/06 05:21 AM

BONANZA CITY Custer Co.
. This class C-mining town is nine miles north of Sunbeam, which is on SH 75, 44 miles southwest of Challis. Bonanza was founded in 1876, and four years later boasted 1500 people and a busy main street lined with businesses. Some buildings still remain.

InspectrJohn
Tourist

Reged: 02/12/06
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--ELKHORN [Re: Majoska]
      #321291 - 02/20/06 08:48 AM

Your link to Ghost towns is actually the Haunted houses link. Can you fix this?

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--ELKHORN [Re: InspectrJohn]
      #321293 - 02/20/06 08:53 AM

InspectrJohn
Quote:

Your link to Ghost towns is actually the Haunted houses link. Can you fix this?

Thanx for you post
there no linked to haunted houses web site there
Ghosttowns

Edited by Majoska (02/20/06 09:39 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection---BOLER’S INN .Miss [Re: Majoska]
      #322260 - 02/20/06 08:16 PM

BOLER’S INN .Mississippi
We found This Info thanx to this web site At or near the town of Union, just south of the county line and northwest of Meridian.
This 1800s era tavern and travelers' stop was used as a field hospital during Sherman's march to the sea.
It was one of the few buildings spared the wrath of the soldiers in April 1863. It is reported to still be standing.

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection----Redig ,South Dakota [Re: Majoska]
      #322669 - 02/21/06 04:49 AM

Redig Harding Co.SOUTH DAKOTA
REDIG Harding Co. Located on US 85, 50 miles north of Belle Fourche
is this tiny town of 10 folks.
On the west side of the highway
are a couple mobile homes and a tiny white store/gas
station/post office with collection of gasoline
pumps out front. On the east side of the highway
are the well-weathered remains of a
wooden two-story building, and a few
sheds and agricultural type structures. Off in the
distance is a junkyard.

Edited by Majoska (02/21/06 04:50 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection----Auraria Georgia [Re: Majoska]
      #323420 - 02/21/06 02:46 PM

AURARIA Georgia Click Open Placemark
Also known in the early days as Knucklesville and Nuckollsville,
this old gold mining town is located
seven miles southwest of Dahlonega, and about 60 miles
northeast of Atlanta. This was one of Georgia's
first gold rush towns, dating to 1830, and
booming to a population of 1000. As the leading
town in the area, it put in a bid for county seat
honors, but it was awarded to nearby
Dahlonega. This nearly killed the town, but Auraria managed
to keep alive, and today is a sleepy back
road burg with a 1990 population of 50.

Edited by Majoska (02/21/06 03:45 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection----Appomattox Virginia [Re: Majoska]
      #323713 - 02/21/06 08:59 PM

APPOMATTOX COURTHOUSE Appomattox Co.
This class C/F ($) ghost town is located on SH 24, three miles
northeast of the town of Appomattox.
It began in 1819 as Clover Hill Tavern,
and in 1845 when Appomattox County
was established it became the county seat.
Then in 1865, this town’s place in history was secured when
General Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant, ending the American Civil War.
After the war ended, so did the town’s prosperity.

Edited by Majoska (02/21/06 08:59 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection---Keota Colorado [Re: Majoska]
      #324507 - 02/22/06 02:17 PM

Keota Colorado
Head east off I-25 at Ft. Collins exit and Highway 14 approximately
50 miles past the town of Briggsdale to County Road 103, north 5 miles.
Last known residents will be
leaving September, 1999. Novelist James Michener
used Keota as his center of operations while writing his novel
"Centennial".

The area around here was also the base
for the TV series by the same name.
An 11 miles side trip to the Pawnee Buttes is worth the trip -
Michener referred to these buttes as Rattlesnake
Buttes in his book. Keota lies in the center of the Pawnee National
Grasslands which covers thousands of acres
of public land. Keota is not the traditional 'ghost town'
one thinks of in Colorado because it is not in the mountains.
However, it played a big part in the settling
of the state and was a center for the vast cattle industry and later
agriculture.

Best times to visit are spring and fall -
summer and winter can be very hot and cold respectively.
You get a great feel for what it was like to be a pioneer on the Great American Desert.

The prairie blooms in the
spring and is truly beautiful.
There aren't any facilities within 15-20 and make
sure your gas tanks are full when you leave
Briggsdale. A trip to the cemetary is worth the trip -
1.6 miles out of town on the main street heading east.
REMAINS: The old gracery & general store and later
the post office still stand along with a few other
abandoned buildings. The old water tower is still standing.
A few old foundations are scattered around.
We Found This Info Thanx to this web site

Edited by Majoska (02/22/06 04:16 PM)

Yellowstone
Cartographer

Reged: 04/18/05
Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---Keota Colorado [Re: Majoska]
      #324644 - 02/22/06 04:10 PM

Keota didn't show up when I downloaded your placemark -- this is a place that is very near and dear to my heart, since I have led college field trips there every year for the last 14 years. Contrary to the info on ghosttowns.com, the last residents did not leave in 1999; there are at least two families living there full time, and some of the structures are occupied for part of the year. Keota has suffered for years from vandalism by visitors who think the town has been abandoned, and thus they can roam at will through the buildings, and that anything there is free for the taking. Consequently, if you decide to visit, you won't exactly receive a warm welcome from the current residents. Keota has a very rich history, and the few remnants there are fading fast, so remember the cardinal rule of ghost towning: take only pictures, leave only footprints.

--------------------
The Covered Bridge Collection
The Legend of the Pink Lady [Warning: Viewer Discretion Advised]
The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright ~ 89 sites and counting....

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection------Cuervo New Mexico [Re: Majoska]
      #325586 - 02/23/06 10:24 AM

Note: If you know about others ghost towns around the world, feel free to tell ,We'll appreciate,

New Add
CUERVO Guadalupe Co.New Mexico

CUERVO Guadalupe Co.
This old road-town straddles I-40 at EXIT 291,
18 miles east of Santa Rosa and
41 miles west of Tucumcari.
With a 1990 population of 75, and
about 25-30 abandoned
buildings mixed in with a dozen
occupied structures,

Cuervo is a near-ghost town worth visiting.
It was established around 1902, and
was a major stopping point along old
US 66. Today, I-40 bisects the decrepit
business district
of mostly unused structures.
Some of its more interesting buildings
include the rock Catholic church,
and 1930-1958 era school. [
REFERENCE

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection---Madrid New Mexico [Re: Majoska]
      #325940 - 02/23/06 02:29 PM

Madrid New Mexico
So many ghost town books show the rows
of abandoned homes and the old steam engine,
and rave about all the abandoned buildings and ghostly air.
They comment on how this classic ghost town is one of the
best in the West. Well folks, that just ain't so ...
anymore. Madrid has been reborn.
The rows of houses are still there, but many have been rehabilitated
, while others are still boarded up.
At the time of our visit in 1987, the downtown area was bustling,
and over the top of a fence the historic old locomotive
could barely be seen. To see it up close,
you had to go through the museum. Many of the old stores have been
refurbished by potters, painters and other artistic types,
while sales of handcrafted items, Indian goods,
antiques and other touristy stuff were brisk. If you remember the
hippies and their craft shops of the mid to late 1960s, you know what Madrid is like.
I felt as if I had been kicked back twenty
years to the days of love-beads, love-bugs, and love-ins.
Earth-mother dresses and flowers in the hair, beards and long
hair were not out of place in this town that time forgot.
Madrid was born as a coal town, whose coal
was first used in the 1830s by the Spaniards at a nearby gold mine.
It wasn't until 1889 that the coal was mined in a larger scale.
The old camp boomed, and within ten years boasted 3000 folks.
Madrid was a major producer despite a mine fire in 1906,
with production peaking in 1928. The Great Depression slowed mining, and by 1934
only 1300 folks remained. During WWII, coal was needed
at Los Alamos, and the atomic city received 20,000 tons of the black fuel.
Once the war was over, so was demand for the coal, and Madrid rapidly faded.
By the late 1950s, Madrid was a stereotyped ghost town.
Hundreds of abandoned shacks, countless blank-eyed windows, and crazily tilted
chimneys recalled a Hollywood version of an old western town.
All that was missing was some long-lost
cowboy wandering down the main street.
In the early 1970s, refugees from the modern-era rat race
discovered this picturesque ghost town, and growth began
. The owner of Madrid, who previously couldn't give anything away,
suddenly found himself faced with an influx of squatters. He turned around and sold the town
"shack by shack', for $1000 to $1500 each.
This episode awakened the sleeping spirits, and Bohemia
encroached, leaving no room for ghosts!
It has taken many years of toil to polish up the grimy
coal-bin town, but today it shines, albeit a bit dusty.
The tourists come, spend their money and leave,
taking with them memories, and maybe a small trinket made
in Madrid, by a genuine 'Madridite'!
Madrid is an interesting town, and well worth a stop.

Edited by Majoska (02/23/06 02:30 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection---FORT LARAMIE Wyoming [Re: Majoska]
      #326228 - 02/23/06 07:48 PM

New Add
FORT LARAMIE

This partially restored army post is about three miles south of the town of Fort Laramie, near the confluence of the North Platte and Laramie Rivers. It was originally built in 1834, and has moved several times. It was an anchor for the army to protect emigrants heading west along the Oregon Trail. It also became an important station on the Pony Express and Overland Stage routes.

[
REFERENCE

Edited by Majoska (02/23/06 07:50 PM)

ignorantteacher
Tourist

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: S.CA
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--Riparia, Wash. [Re: Majoska]
      #326274 - 02/23/06 09:17 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (89 downloads)

Riparia was a railroad town in the latter half of the 19th century, helping ship the wheat of the Palouse in eastern Washington to the rest of the world. It was well into its decline when the Snake River dams were built in the 1960s. The green area to the south of the placemark, at the mouth of the stream, is where the town once stood. For more information, visit my web page.

I have a special attachment to the town, because my grandmother was born there, and I always remember her telling me that her birthplace was underwater.

--------------------
A frustrated earth traveler, bound by the constraints of work and family, must visit the world through whatever means available.

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection---Bannack Montana [Re: Majoska]
      #327521 - 02/24/06 07:31 PM

Bannack is not a dead Ghost
Town, but a living classroom. For future generations to understand how far and
from where we have come. We must recall our past, both the good
and the bad." - Stan Smith. This interesting old Ghost town,
Bannack, has about 20 buildings and points of interest preserved and
stabilized, but not renovated, which
are located on the main street. You can buy an informative self tour guide
brochure for only 2.00 upon arriving at the State Park Visitor's Center, a
valuable resource. Each building /item of interest corresponds to a number in the
brochure, which tells about its history. There are nice raised wooden plank sidewalks to walk down the main

street and look at the buildings. The visitor can walk right in
each house and building to get a better look. In some houses and the
Meade Hotel, one can go upstairs as well.
While there isn't much inside some of the buildings but basic walls and floors
and a hint of what used to be there, other buildings like the
combination Mason / school house building have some of the furniture on
display that was used when people lived here. A building that is still used for community events is the old
Methodist Church, built in 1877, which was never left to ruin. Concerts,
speakers can book the building and hold forth. It is well taken care of and the inside looks like a
regular, modern building, with wooden benches to sit on. Brother Van, who
used his people skills and acted on the right opportunity to get the
church built, would be very pleased.

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection---Independence [Re: Majoska]
      #328074 - 02/25/06 07:32 AM

Note: If you know about others ghost towns around the world, feel free to tell ,We'll appreciate,

New Add
Independence

With the discovery of the Independence Gold Lode on July 4, 1879, the town of Independence sprung up and by 1880, boasted a population of 300. With the acquisition of most of the mining claims by the Farwell Mining Company, the construction of the Farwwell Stamp Mill, and a large sawmill, the population grew to 500. Independence was served by four grocery stores, four boarding houses, and three saloons.
The town reached its peak in 1882, with over 40 businesses, three post offices, and a population of 1500. But, because of the harsh winters, activity at Independence declined. Only 100 hearty citizens remained by 1888, and by 1899, the town was all but abandoned. Today, a few buildings, at Independence Pass, remain.

Edited by Majoska (02/25/06 07:32 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection-----Kelso ,California [Re: Majoska]
      #328854 - 02/25/06 05:44 PM

New Add
Kelso California

open placemark

Kelso originated as small collection of
buildings along the Union Pacific Railroad in the Mojave desert.
Located before Cima grade, the station's role was to supply
water to the steam engines prior to their arduous 600
meter uphill climb. The name is taken from a railroad
worker named John H. Kelso, who won the right to name
the town after his name was drawn from a hat.
In 1942, Kelso boomed as the Vulcan Mine,
some 15 km. south of Kelso, was opened by the Kaiser
Steel Mill. Iron ore was transported by train from Kelso
to a mill in Fontana.

When the Second World War ended,
the mine was closed and Kelso began to decline.
As diesel engines replaced steam locomotives, trains no longer
stopped for Kelso's water.
The station was closed in 1985 and in
1992, the Bureau of Land
Management took over the property.
Kelso is 55 km southeast of Baker on Kelbaker Road.
REFERENCE

Edited by Majoska (03/19/06 12:25 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection-----New Harmony ID [Re: Majoska]
      #330212 - 02/26/06 07:36 PM

New Add
New Harmony
open placemark

Historic Significance

New Harmony was founded in 1814 by a group of 800 Lutheran dissenters from Wurttemburg, Germany. The Harmonie Society, led by George Rapp, arrived in the United States in 1804, seeking religious freedom and establishing a community in Butler County, Pennsylvania. After ten years, the Harmonists purchased 20,000 acres on the banks of the Indiana Territory’s Wabash River, approximately 15 miles above its confluence with the Ohio River. The Harmonists moved to the area in 1814.

The Harmonists’ literal interpretation of the Bible, combined with their interpretation of current world events, led them to believe that a second coming of Jesus Christ was imminent. As a society and as individuals, they pursued Christian perfection through every aspect of their daily conduct. To that end, they created a highly ordered and productive community at New Harmony.

Within a year of the land purchase, the town founded by the Harmonie Society was platted by a professional surveyor. Each Harmonist family was provided with enough land on which to build a temporary log home and to plant a garden. Log homes were eventually replaced with frame or brick structures. Between 1814 and 1824, the Harmonists constructed more than 180 log, frame and brick structures in their settlement. The community was entirely self-sufficient and produced a wide variety of goods that were traded as far away as New Orleans and Pittsburgh. Harmonist wares also were sold overseas in the British Isles, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany.

reference

Edited by Majoska (02/26/06 07:41 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---CHIMNEY POINT TAVERN [Re: Majoska]
      #330606 - 02/27/06 05:42 AM

New Add
CHIMNEY POINT TAVERN Click Open Placemark

Jacobus de Warm of Albany, New York,
established a short-lived outpost here in 1690. In 1730 the,
French rebuilt it, renaming it Fort de Pieux. By 1759 ,
it was deserted. 250 years later, only cellar holes,
and rubble are said to remain. Also located here is the,
Chimney Point Tavern, an 18th Century tavern that ,
today acts as the interpretive center for the site. It is located,
just off SH 17, eight miles southwest of Addison, at,
the south end of Lake Champlain, where the Champlain,
Bridge crosses to New York

Edited by Majoska (02/27/06 05:45 AM)

IanUK
Tourist

Reged: 08/24/05
Loc: Aylesbury, England, GMT+0
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---CHIMNEY POINT TAVERN [Re: Majoska]
      #330623 - 02/27/06 06:05 AM

A quick question (or three!) about these ghost towns.

Who owns them? Are they openly accessible? Can you wonder around them (and in the buildings) freely? What are the squatters' rights? Where on earth do these people go, having left everything behind?!

I love the idea of an abandoned town nearby that I can go and snoop around (I'm a champion snooper!)!

My brother went to Croatia in the summer and said there are a few ghost towns there, where people have simply abandoned the place, leaving curtains in the windows and cars in the driveway, just as they were when they were inhabited, and been left like it for years! (unfortunately, I don't know their whereabouts, otherwise I would contribute them)

As far as I am aware, there are none in the UK (I could be wrong, but I doubt it). But there seems to be a lot of them around elsewhere!

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---CHESTERFIELD, ID [Re: Majoska]
      #331119 - 02/27/06 01:41 PM

CHESTERFIELD, ID
Founded in 1881, this wonderful little class C Mormon
agricultural ghost town is due east of Pocatello, 15 miles north of US 30, at a point 12 miles west of Soda Springs.
The buildings are slowly being restored to their original appearance by Mormon missionaries.
Several buildings are open to the public (free), and docents will guide you through the museum.
The town site features 23 historic buildings, many of them brick,
built between 1884 and 1904. The community was abandoned in the 1920s due to crop
failures in the harsh climate. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Chesterfield Foundation is
working on site and building restoration.

Edited by Majoska (02/27/06 01:41 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection---Cerro Gordo,CA [Re: Majoska]
      #331928 - 02/28/06 06:40 AM

New Add
Cerro Gordo, Spanish for "Fat Hill

Cerro Gordo, Spanish for "Fat Hill" ,was a silver mining city high in the Inyo Mountains of Owens Valley.
Click Here for Open Placemark

Cerro Gordo's major development took place
in the early 1870s primarily by Mortimer Belshaw
and Victor Beaudry.
By 1872, the town was producing 100 to
150 83-pound bars of silver- lead each day.
These bars, called "loaves" because of their
resemblance to loaves of bread, were shipped
in huge wagons to the nearest ocean port city,
which happened to be Los Angeles. At the port,
the silver was loaded on to ships that carried
it to San Francisco and other destinations for
final refining.The American Hotel, built in 1871,
is the most recognizable structure at Cerro Gordo.
Cerro Gordo is located in the Inyo Mountains,
high above dry Owens Lake. Around 1870,
from this city flowed $13,000,000 in silverand lead bullion.

REFERENCE

Edited by Majoska (02/28/06 06:49 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---.Gold Point,Nevada [Re: Majoska]
      #332351 - 02/28/06 11:58 AM

Originally named Hornsilver because
it was a silver mining camp, it never became the boomtown its founders
had hoped. In 1929, the silver market offered nothing but bad news,
investors decided that "Gold Point" would have more value as a name.
At one time, two thousand people occupied the town,
but legal and other problems confronted the operators.
The lack of resolutions, for whatever the reason,
killed the town.
Gold Point is south of Goldfield off of highway 95.
Most of the town is now owned by Herb Robbins,
otherwise known as Sheriff Stone. Herb hosts many
exciting outings and adventures at Goldpoint
Gold Point was a general ranching area more than a town.
There are a number of abandoned ranches
in the area and in particular the old Fisher
Ranch where a number of old buildings still remain.

The most unusual building on the ranch is a most attractive
false front, the original purpose of which is not known.
The Gold Point area is well worth
visiting just to see the false front

Oficial Website

Edited by Majoska (02/28/06 12:03 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---.Bumblebee [Re: Majoska]
      #333298 - 03/01/06 05:28 AM

New Add
Bumblebee

Bumblebee is an interesting little town.
People do still live there, so Ghost Town might not fit.
But, in an effort to attract a tourist trade, the citizens of Bumblebee
erected a set of false front buildings and called it a ghost town.
The false front buildings have been removed and only
a couple piles of rubble remain.
The school house appears open as a restaurant.
A sign hangs on the general store saying saloon.
Bumblebee dates to 1879 and was a noted stagecoach stop on the road to Prescott.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---Cherry Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #334169 - 03/01/06 06:46 PM

Cherry Click Here Open Placemark
Cherry Home of George Washington Sessions, one of the
early homesteaders in Cherry Notes : Private Property
Roads : Graded Gravel, well maintained
Vehicle Recommended : 2wd
. Noteable mines in the area include the Federal, Logan and Gold Bullion mines. About 400
people lived and worked in Cherry during its prime. Enough to support a school (left) and
stage stop. Cherry was never incorporated as a town, and did not have a
church. Lacking these two establishments,
written history of Cherry is scarce. The cemetery
has several graves from the 1800's and many recent burials.
Nearby is the town fire
station, boasting a surplus tank truck with
a "No Sniveling" plate on the front bumper.
Antique pump near Cherry I'd like to thank Mr. Steve Merkeley
of Cherry for
his hospitality and patience. He owns and lives in the
Cherry school, and provided a wealth
of information on Cherry. He related that the
chimney (not pictured) was added to the
school in 1972 and that this is actually the
second school built in Cherry. The first school,
built in 1887, burned in 1922. This
school was completed later that year. It was
later bought by a Mrs. Mayer who paid a
whopping $785 for the building and grounds.
He
also showed us a 1930's yearbook in which
the students participated in "Bad Language
Day" at the school.
Currently, most of the historic buildings are under
renovation/restoration and are private
property. Cherry has around sixty full time
residents and the townsfolk are not looking
for more neighbors.

Edited by Majoska (03/01/06 06:50 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---------.Oatman Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #334744 - 03/02/06 08:45 AM

New Add Click Here open Placemark
Oatman Mining

Oatman Mining in the area dates to 1863, but Oatman's
first mine was claimed in 1902. The Vivian mining company ran
the mine and the town was originally known as Vivian. In 1909, the
town's name was changed to Oatman, in honor of a woman taken
captive by Apache Indians in 1851.

The many mines around Oatman issued
public stocks for their grubstakes. These stocks were traded
on the Oatman stock exchange and in San Francisco.

A 1916 magazine shows ads for stock in the Casey Jones Mining
Company and the Oatman Golconda Mines Company.
The town of Oatman boasted state of the
art amenities as mining camps went. Paved roads, sidewalks and
two hospitals nearby, one of which was located at Oldtrails.
Telegraph and telephone wires connected the community with
the outside world. Mail service started in 1904.
Clark Gable spent his honeymoon in Oatman
with Carole Lombard.

The room can be viewed at the hotel for a $1 fee.
A portion of the movie "How the West Was Won" was also filmed in Oatman,

Today, the owners ban photography inside the store and cheerfully
post the sign "Shoplifters will be shot, Survivors will be shot again."

The mines were closed in 1942 by order of the War Department, as unnecessary to the war effort.

Oatman today is a gaudy tourist stop.
Cars and people line the streets and there are so many shops that
some proprietors sell their wares from under tents. Ample buildings
from the mining days of Oatman are still standing, including the
Hardware store at right and the town Jail. The original town gallows
are available for photos.
Burros walk the streets and probe pedestrians
for carrots or other treats which are sold in the shops.
It is the meeting point for one of the largest motorcycle gatherings outside of Sturgis

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Historians estimate that there may be as many as 50,000 ghost towns scattered across the United States of America.

A ghost town,is a site that has been abandoned, usually because the economic activity that supported it has failed.
Or such as water no longer being available, railroads and highways bypassing or no longer accessing the town as was the case in many of the ghost towns , shifting economic activity elsewhere, human intervention such as highway and river rerouting (see Aral Sea), and nuclear disasters (see Chernobyl).
Chance significant fatality from epidemics has also produced ghost towns; for example, some places in eastern Arkansas were abandoned after near-total morbidity during the Spanish Flu pandemic.
Old mining camps that have lost most of their population at some stage of their history, are sometimes included in the category, although they are active towns and cities today.
Some ghost towns are tourist attractions, especially those that preserve interesting architecture. Visiting, writing about, and photographing them is a minor industry. Other ghost towns may be overgrown, difficult to access, or illegal to visit.

Edited by Majoska (03/02/06 09:06 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---Old Trails's Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #335894 - 03/03/06 07:50 AM

New Add
Old Trails's Arizona

Old Trails's post office was established February 29, 1916 and discontinued July 21, 1925.
Old Trails had electric lights, graded streets, a hospital, steam laundry, ice cream and bakery shop, bottling works, sheet metal works, and telephones.
At one time there was over 500 residents.
Opened to commemorate the famous trails that once linked early settlements,
Old Trails was still dependent on the mines which finally played out in 1925, and so did the town.

http://www.bygonebyways.com]Image from this web site
reference

Edited by Majoska (03/03/06 10:39 AM)

ta2me
Tourist

Reged: 02/19/06
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---Nipton [Re: Majoska]
      #336511 - 03/03/06 04:17 PM

This marker is not Nipton. Nipton is about 12 miles to the east on Nipton Road.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection------Old Glory Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #337279 - 03/04/06 10:33 AM

New Add
Old Glory Arizona

Old Glory is is about three miles southwest
of Ruby. To reach the town from Ruby, take
Ruby Road west to the California Gulch Road (FSR 217)
Follow that road south until you pass a ranch and FSR 4191.
FSR 4191 leads directly to the mill at Old Glory.
By following the road past the mill, you will
come upon more ruins and eventually wind your
way to the top of the Old Glory Mine.
As always, exercise caution around mines.
These roads are quite rough and not for
passenger cars. I would suggest two vehicles, as
beind stranded in this area would be most unpleasant.
The Oldglory post office was established on
January 15, 1895 with William F. Ward as
postmaster.
The name was changed to Old
Glory in 1909. Mail service was discontinued in 1911.

Estimates of the towns population stand around 50.
The town's name does not appear in the 1900 census directly. This appears to be a stamp cam,
laying on the ground in the mill.

reference

Edited by Majoska (03/04/06 10:33 AM)

ta2me
Tourist

Eagle Mountain [Re: Majoska]
      #337296 - 03/04/06 10:57 AM

The Eagle Mountain placemark is in the wrong place. Eagle Mountain is on the north side of the interstate, approx. 30 miles to the northwest.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Eagle Mountain [Re: ta2me]
      #337304 - 03/04/06 11:06 AM

I placemement Nipton to right place
thanx for you contribution
I realized that in East Movaje desert has new high resolution so you can see cleary ...houses and barns

now let me check and update all places
many Thanx ta2me

Edited by Majoska (03/04/06 12:56 PM)

ta2me
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---CHIMNEY POINT TAVERN [Re: IanUK]
      #337306 - 03/04/06 11:07 AM

The ghosts in California have been known and explored for many years. They vary greatly, from a modern ghost like Eagle Mountain, where there actually is a company prescence and some residents, but large areas of abandonment, to town sites that are just a wide spot in the road. Some are privately owned, some are on public land, and some are in state protected areas. Some places you can do what you want (within reason), other places if you are caught with a metal detector, you are in big trouble.
Best to do research on each specific site you are interested in.

Remember also, that in the California desert, there are rattlesnakes. Best to learn snake safety too before poking around out there and getting a very nasty surprise.

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection------Marble Colorado [Re: Majoska]
      #337668 - 03/04/06 05:34 PM

New Add
Marble

Marble deposits were discoverd
in the Crystal River Valley in 1873. Eight years later,
the town of Marble was founded. Typical of mining
towns, Marble went through
periods of boom and bust and
reached its peak in 1917, with a population of 1,400.
Ruins of what was once the world's largest marble finishing
mill can be explored in the town.
Here, marble from the nearby
quarries was brought to be cut,
carved, and polished. Among the ruins are two rows of
marble pillars, which were
used to support an overhead
crane, and two marble walls,
which served as firewalls between shops in the mill.
Due to increasing costs, marble production ceased
in 1942 and the mill was closed.
Today, marble is still being mined at the Yule Quarry,
located a few miles from town.
Marble from this mine has been used in landmarks such as the
Lincoln Memorial and the Towmb of the Unknown Soldier,
as well as many other buildings.

reference

Edited by Majoska (03/04/06 05:34 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--------Stanton Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #339111 - 03/06/06 02:23 AM

Stanton Arizona

Please click Here For Placemark
Stanton The Lost Dutchman Mining Association
normally allows visitors to Stanton, during daylight hours.

They have recently embarked on a restoration project
and have closed the camp to visitors for the summer
and fall of 1998. They hope to have the camp standing
tall by December of 1998. Wish them luck!

To reach Stanton from Phoenix, take US 60
(Grand Avenue) to Wickenburg, then follow US 89
North until you pass Congress Junction. As the road winds
toward the great big hill, there will be a turn toward the
Southeast (right hand side) that says Stanton and Octave.
Follow the Road, from there, you can't really miss the town.
Stanton has come back from the dead. I just aboui
didn't stop when I saw the sheer volume of RV's and
Campers in the town. Funny, I have a notion that a Ghost Town
should NOT offer dog grooming. But anyway, back to
our normal program Stanton is named for
Charles P. Stanton, a somewhat
unscrupulous individual who through a series of plans
came into possession of the town. It was named
Antelope Station. A little over 200 people once lived in Stanton.

Edited by Majoska (03/06/06 02:27 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--------South Pass City [Re: Majoska]
      #340428 - 03/07/06 05:10 AM

Note: If you know about others ghost towns around the world, feel free to tell ,and post it.

Please Click Hre For Placemark
New Add
South Pass City

In 1842 gold was originally discovered in the South Pass of the Rockies, but it wasn't until 1866 when gold was rediscovered in the South Pass by a group of former soldiers that word leaked out about their find, and the ensuing gold rush to the Sweetwater Mines added thousands of residents to the state by 1868. Some 4000 folks flocked to the Sweetwater Mines, and its several mining camps. One of them, South Pass City acted as the county seat of Sweetwater County from 1868_1873.

One of the more famous residents was claimed to be Calamity Jane.

The half mile long main street was lined with one and two story commercial buildings housing such businesses as saloons, stores, saloons, restaurants, saloons, etc. Within a year the population had fallen to 100, and South Pass City was nearly a ghost town. The new, but unoccupied buildings supported the population well! Most of the miners had drifted off to Green River and other railroad boomtowns to find work, as the mines had basically been declared a Humbug.

Over time they paid off, but never in the quantities that they originally were hoped to.

The most famous historical incident occurring here was a political tea held in the home of Esther Hobart Morris. Both candidates for the state legislature appeared, and they both promised that if elected they would make it legal for women to vote. Democrat William H. Bright kept his promise.

The east end of the town was purchased by the State of Wyoming in 1967, preserving the old town as a State Historic Park. It is free, although the museum will accept donations. About 25 buildings have been restored.

West of the restored part of town another dozen or so still occupied buildings serve the remaining populace.

reference

Edited by Majoska (03/07/06 05:34 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---HOPEWELL FURNACE, PA [Re: Majoska]
      #341557 - 03/08/06 05:36 AM

Note: If you know about others ghost towns around the world, feel free to tell ,and post it.

--->Please Click Here Open Plecemark<---
New Add
HOPEWELL FURNACE, PA
William Bird erected a forge near Birdsboro,
which he called Hopewell Forge. By the spring of 1744, pig iron
was being produced. William Bird died in 1761, and the forges
were taken over by his son, 22 year old Mark Bird.
In 1770 rich iron deposits were found about 10 miles
south of the forge, and in 1771 Hopewell Furnace was
erected on French Creek.

By 1772 the charcoal powered
furnace was in full blast. Some of the items produced included
pig iron, cannons, pots, stove plates, tools, window sash weights, and shot for use by the Continental Army and Navy.

After the war ended, Bird tried to expand his holdings, and stretched his finances too far.
The economic recession of the 1780s broke him, and in 1788 Bird sold Hopewell and his other properties to repay various obligations.
The furnace was now under new ownership,
but due to litigation and major repairs, it wasn't until 1816
that the furnace began to pay for itself again. The facility's production skyrocketed. Between
1825 and 1850 the operation averaged 1000 tons of pig iron annually.
A village of 1000 people had grown up around the furnace.
It included the furnaces, a blacksmith shop,
company store and office, homes for
the workers and their families, the
ironmaster's mansion, livery stable/barn
, schoolhouse, and wheelwright.

reference

Edited by Majoska (03/08/06 06:49 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---Swansea Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #342843 - 03/09/06 09:30 AM

New Add
Swansea Arizona ---->Please Click Here For Placemark<-----

Swansea is located in the middle of nowhere.
The copper mining camp was founded in 1907, when
the Arizona and California Railroad was completed.
Before this time, only little mining activities took place
due to the high costs of transporting ore from such a
remote place. Swansea Ghost Town Swansea has
been proclaimed as one of Arizona's best ghost towns
by Arizona Highways Magazine.

Take a day trip back into
time and see the remains of what was once a bustling
mining community, complete with a "moving picture
house", a post office and automobile dealership.
On public lands, the Bureau of Land Management
now manages the town and is in the process of building
picnic and camping areas near the original town site.
A non-profit organization, the "Friends of Swansea" has
also been established to raise funds for Swansea's restoration. Swansea is accessible by two-wheel drive automobiles;
however, high clearance vehicles are suggested.
The ghost town can be reached by traveling east out of
Parker on Shea Road, (paved) for approximately 10 miles.
At this point you will travel about 20 miles on a well-graded
dirt road to Swansea. The ghost town can also be reached
by traveling northeast from Bouse. Whenever traveling in
the desert, remember to take water and always tell
someone where you're going and when you plan to return.
There is no charge to visit Swansea.

reference

Edited by Majoska (03/09/06 09:31 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--LOTHROP Montana [Re: Majoska]
      #343947 - 03/10/06 11:38 AM

New Add
LOTHROP (AKA – Lathrop) Montana

Click Here For Placemark

An 1890s logging camp near Ten Mile Lake
northwest of Hackensack, which is on SH 371, south of Bemidji. In the last
half of the 1800s, this booming logging
and railroad town was the end of the track
for the lumbering companies.
At its peak, the town consisted of
2000 people, two bakers, two barbers, a
butcher, drug store, three grocery
stores, two hotels, three or four
restaurants, and a couple saloons.
It was a typical hell-raising, end-of-tracks town.
In 1896, the railroad was
extended deeper into the woods,
and Lothrop began to fade as trade
shifted to a new "end-of-the-track".
In 1904, the depot building was moved to nearby
Hackensack, and that town began to boom at Lothrop's expense.

reference

Quote:

Edited by Majoska (03/10/06 11:38 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection-------Dorchester S.C [Re: Majoska]
      #345170 - 03/11/06 02:21 PM

New Add
Dorchester S.C.

Click Here For a Placemark

This old colony is located on SH 642,
six miles south of Summerville. On east bank of the Ashley River.
It was founded in 1696 by settlers from Dorchester, Massachusetts.
By the 1750s, most of the citizens had moved to Georgia, and in 1781,
the fort and what remained of the town were destroyed by
British troops. Foundations have been excavated.

reference

Edited by Majoska (03/11/06 02:24 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection-------Dorchester S.C [Re: Majoska]
      #345171 - 03/11/06 02:23 PM

New Add
Dorchester S.C.

Please Click Here For Placemark

This old colony is located on SH 642,
six miles south of Summerville. On east bank of the Ashley River.
It was founded in 1696 by settlers from Dorchester, Massachusetts.
By the 1750s, most of the citizens had moved to Georgia, and in 1781,
the fort and what remained of the town were destroyed by
British troops. Foundations have been excavated.

reference

Edited by Majoska (03/21/06 05:46 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection----Foss Oklahoma [Re: Majoska]
      #345686 - 03/12/06 04:54 AM

--->Please Click Here for Placemark<----
New Add
Foss ghosttown Oklahoma

Some 15 miles west of Clinton, Oklahoma is yet another town
that “bit the dust” at the hands of Superhighway I-40.
Foss, Oklahoma got its start in the late 1890s when people began to populate the valley of Turkey Creek.

However, when a flash flood occurred on May 2, 1902, it pretty much wiped out the town, washing buildings away and
drowning several people.

Not tempting Mother Nature again, the surviving
residents moved
out of the creek bottom to higher ground and the new town was called Foss.
The fertile farmland surrounding the area attracted many early settlers and
Foss grew to a population of almost 1000 people by 1905. Soon all manner of businesses
sprang up including two banks and three cotton gins.
Stone buildings replaced earlie frame structures,
a school system was organized, and several churches were built.

By 1912, Foss had an electric plant, two hotels
and an opera house. After the town’s initial rapid growth it stabilized at about 500 people.
However, in the 1920's the town began to struggle as the nearby rail centers of Clinton
and Elk City began to absorb much of the town’s former trade.
Later, the depression and the Dust Bowl of the 1930’s created further
migration from the area. Still, the small town hung on and in the 1950's saw a revival
due to the increased use of the Air Force Installation at nearby Burns Flat.
However, the base closed at about the same time that Foss was bypassed by I-40 and those few remaining people began to leave.
Finally, in September, 1977, the one bank left open in
Foss closed its doors forever.

Today, Foss is but a reminder of its former past.
The ruins of Kobel’s Gas Station, which also served as a café and bus station, still remain.
An 1894 church building and a pioneer jail are also left standing. .

But of the rest of the town, there are only foundations, where buildings once stood and vacant sidewalks, lining ghostly blocks.
that will never be used again.
Nearby is the Foss State Park, just some ten miles north of Foss..
The 1750-acre park and 8,800-acre lake features 120 campsites with hiking trails, a swimming beach, boating, water skiing and fishing.

Edited by Majoska (03/18/06 04:27 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection----China Camp,SF [Re: Majoska]
      #347001 - 03/13/06 08:50 AM

New Add
China Camp,SF

Please Click Here For Placemark
This is a class C, 1870s-1880s era Chinese
fishing camp on the south shore of San Pablo Bay (northern part
of San Francisco Bay), northeast of San Rafael. Today it is a state
historic park, and has a number of old buildings.
A small fee is charged to visit the site. Well worth it. China Camp is
California Historic Landmark #924.

We Found This Info Thanx to this Web site

Edited by Majoska (03/21/06 05:45 AM)

Amandyke
Tourist

Reged: 02/10/05
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection----China Camp,SF [Re: Majoska]
      #347146 - 03/13/06 11:26 AM

There is a place marker titled "Bodie" placed in downtown Benicia, CA. This is placed in error. The Bodie ghost town is no where near Benicia, CA.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--Agua Caliente ,Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #348541 - 03/14/06 04:26 PM

Please Click For Placemark
New Add
Agua Caliente

Agua Caliente has a long history.
Accounts speak of a Fr. Jacob Sedelmyr being
at the hot springs in 1744. The springs were
developed into a resort town.

The 20+ room hotel was modified over time, the
first parts being built in 1897. A swimming pool
was added, during World War II, when the hotel
served as housing for men training nearby.
Eventually, the water table fell and the springs
went dry.Agua Caliente was/is home to an
exclusive resort in Arizona.
There was a 22 room hotel, built in 1897, and hot springs to
boot. Similar to Castle Hot Springs, this hotel has
survived into the present. Unfortunately,
the hot springs dried up as ranchers used more
water for irrigation.
Today, there are caretakers but the hotel is no longer open.

Agua Caliente had hot springs witch
were used by Indians as a therapy.
In 1873 became place popular between the
white peoples and they came to the place
from everywhere. To protect the business
owners defended the place with a dynamite,
and that was the reason that spring draw
out and Agua Caliente (from Spanish Hot Water)
became ghost town.
That what is back of Agua Caliente is the Hotel, the ruins
of stone house and one swimming pool in
which the hot water were collected and used by the visitors.
The Hotel was built in 1897 and had 22 room and
swimming pool. In parallel to
Castle Hot Springs, this hotel survived
Agua Caliente lies about 11 Miles north of I-8,
west of the I-10 junction. Take the Sentinel
exit (exit 87) and follow the road north.
A sign points toward "Old Agua Caliente" which
is about a mile off thepaved road.
Visitors will pass the Agua Caliente Pioneer's
cemetery on the south side of the road, before reaching the ruins.
The hotel at Agua Caliente is still occupied,
and several trailers are parked directly across
the road from the hotel.

Edited by Majoska (03/14/06 04:27 PM)

vulture38
Guide

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--Manila Village, LA [Re: Majoska]
      #348890 - 03/15/06 01:34 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (158 downloads)

1765-1965 Home of Andrew Jackson's Manilamen from the Battle of New Orleans in 1812. Destroyed by Hurricane Betsy in 1965. All that's left are pilings. http://philipppines.tripod.com/

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--Manila Village, LA [Re: vulture38]
      #349973 - 03/15/06 05:33 PM

Quote:

1765-1965 Home of Andrew Jackson's Manilamen from the Battle of New Orleans in 1812. Destroyed by Hurricane Betsy in 1965. All that's left are pilings

I read all about this Manila Village
not only the huracan katrina destroy a community, but is a rescue to a place forgot, even but that there is residents that are resisted to leave that place
Truly the semi-ghost towns that remain without post in the list of Ghost Towns and that
even there is residents therefore to bring to light to of this keyhole

Edited by Majoska (04/02/06 01:58 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--Wittenoom ,Australia [Re: Majoska]
      #351098 - 03/16/06 05:41 PM

New Add <-----Please Click Here For Placemark<--------
Wittenoom Ghost Town

Wittenoom is a ghost town in the Pilbara region of Western Australia.
about 1644 km north north east of Perth. Wittenoom is close to a number of spectacular gorges in the Hamersley Ranges. Wittenoom was a mining town.

Lang Hancock started mining blue asbestos from the nearby Wittenoom Gorge in 1937, and in 1943 the mine was taken over by CSR. By the late 1940s there was a need for a townsite near the mine, and Wittenoom was gazetted in 1950.

During the 1950s, Wittenoom was the Pilbara's biggest town, but in 1966 it was shut down due to health concerns of asbestos mining. Today around twenty residents remain, despite the Western Australian government's intention to demolish the town.

Many old buildings remain, and huge mounds of toxic tailings from the asbestos mining can be found nearby. Wittenoom is named after the Wittenoom Gorge, which is in turn named after Mr Frank Wittenoom, the business partner of Mr George Hancock who discovered the gorge. Retrieved from

Edited by Majoska (03/19/06 04:25 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection------Kanowna Australia [Re: Majoska]
      #352646 - 03/18/06 05:03 AM

i] Note: If you know about others ghost towns around the world, feel free to tell ,and post it.
New Add
Kanowna Australia

Kanowna is a ghost town in the Goldfields region
of Western Australia.

About 20 km east of Kalgoorlie, Western Australia.
After the discovery of gold in the area in 1893,
the population rose to over 12,000 by 1905. However, the alluvial gold supply was rapidly exhausted, and
underground mines following the outcropping vein produced decreasing amounts of gold, resulting in a
slow but steady decrease in the population.

The railway station was closed during the Great Depression,
and by 1953 the town had been completely abandoned.

There is nothing but rubble and two cemeteries
left of the original town of Kanowna.
Increasing gold prices in the late 1970s sparked renewed
interest in exploring the geology of the area for new sources of gold, and the discovery of a large amount
of gold, previously undiscovered because the vein did not reach the surface, made gold mining in the region
economically viable again.
Mining recommenced in 1986, initially as open cast mining, before moving
to underground mines. As of 2002, the Kanowna Belle mine employed over 300 people.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection------ACALA, TEXAS [Re: Majoska]
      #353535 - 03/18/06 08:08 PM

New Add

ACALA, TEXAS

<------Please Click Here For Placemark----->
History in a Cotton Boll
Named after the Spanish name
for a type of cotton, Acala's
history is mainly its population.

According to the Handbook of Texas,
a post office was opened in
the 1920s and 1927 saw 50
Acalans calling it home.
In the boom-bust year of 1929
the town reached its high-water mark of 100.

The Great Depression reduced
the town to a mere ten persons
before rebounding to 75 by the decade's end.
In the late fifties it regained its
record population of 100 but a
slow decline set in and by 1975
it was back down to 25 which
is the last figure available.

Edited by Majoska (03/18/06 08:12 PM)

gladdly
Tourist

Reged: 11/12/05
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection-----Kelso ,California [Re: Majoska]
      #353594 - 03/18/06 10:16 PM

Sorry, you have your atlas upside down. Kelso is about 20 miles south of highway 15 on the railroad line and KelBaker rd.
When I was about 16 years old, I got to spend a week there living with family friends that lived in a boxcar and worked for the Union Pacific RR

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection----Independence, Texas [Re: Majoska]
      #354630 - 03/19/06 06:21 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (83 downloads)

New Add
Independence, Texas

Early History:
Independence was originally called Coles Settlement or Cole's Hill after early settler John P. Coles.

Cole was the Alcalde under Mexican rule and one of the first to venture west from
Washington-on-the-Brazos.
Cole was also the county chief justice when
Washington County was established in 1841.
Cole once rented a cabin to a Mr.
Albert Gallatin Haynes, who is worth mentioning if only because he named his sons Tom, Dick and Harry.
Other settlers arrived from North Carolina,
Alabama and Kentucky including Nestor Clay - a nephew of Henry Clay.
With the organization of Independence
Academy in 1837 people started applying the name to the town as well.
Other sources credit Dr. Asa Hoxie with naming the town. Hoxie is also credited with naming nearby Washington.
In 1844 an election for county seat
was held with four contenders -
the then county seat of Mount Vernon, Turkey Creek,
Independence and Brenham.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection----Kalida Kansas [Re: Majoska]
      #355740 - 03/20/06 03:02 PM

New Add
Kalida Kansas
Click Here For Placemark

Kalida
On July 14. 1869, Hale Chellis made a plat
for the town site of Chellis. The little town had a post office, general store, and hotel. Chellis sold
his newly formed town site to Thomas Davidson in 1870.

Mr. Davidson made a new plat of the town and
named it 'Kalida', which is a Greek word meaning beautiful.
The population of the newly formed Kalida grew to 500 residents.

The town had a hotel, livery stable, 2 grocery stores, a barber shop, post office,billiard hall, meat market, 3 doctors, 2 preachers,
a lawyer, and a local newspaper.

Kalida school district #16 was organized
and a school
was built across the road from the town site.

In 1873 Kalida became the county
seat winning over Defiance and Waldrip.
On Feb. 23, 1874 another
election was held with
Defiance winning 643 to Kalida's 491 votes. The county seat was then moved to Defiance.
The beautiful little town of Kalida was also moved to Yates Center.

<a href="htp://www.kansaspress.ku.edu/fitfad.html" target="_blank">We Found This Info Thanx to this web site</a>

Edited by Majoska (03/20/06 03:25 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection----Bumblebee,Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #357923 - 03/22/06 12:59 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (104 downloads)

Bumblebee
Bumblebee is an interesting little town.
People do still live there, so Ghost Town might not fit. But, in an effort to attract a tourist trade, the citizens of Bumblebee erected a set of false front buildings
and called it a ghost town.

The false front buildings have been removed
and only a couple piles of rubble remain. The school house appears
open as a restaurant. A sign hangs on the general store saying saloon.
Bumblebee dates to 1879 and was a noted stagecoach
stop on the road to Prescott.
To reach Bumblebee, take I-17 North from Phoenix
to the Bumblebee exit. If you reach the Sunset Point interchange, you've
gone too far. Follow Bumblebee road (FSR 259) for about five miles to
the town of Bumblebee.

Three seemingly identical houses and what might have been a
stagecoach stop are among the first buildings you'll see. Just past the stage
stop, on the left is the set of false front buildings. Bumblebee lies very
close to Cleator

Edited by Majoska (03/22/06 01:00 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---Holy City, California [Re: Majoska]
      #358078 - 03/22/06 03:01 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (228 downloads)

Note: Please If you know about others ghost towns around the world, feel free to tell ,and post it.
New Add
Holy City, California

Holy City, California is an unincorporated community in Santa Clara County, California, USA. With only one permanent resident, it is arguably a ghost town.

The town is located in the Santa Cruz Mountains, off Highway 17 on Old Santa Cruz Highway. It is part of the Lexington Hills census-designated place. The ZIP code is 95026. Holy City was founded in 1919 by cult-leader William E. Riker and about 30 of his followers.

Calling his ideology "The Perfect Divine Christian Way", Riker preached celibacy, temperance, white supremacy, and segregation of the races and sexes. He apparently exempted himself from this ideology, as he had previously been a bigamist and later married one of his followers. He also encouraged his followers to renounce material possesions by giving all of their wealth to him. It was with this wealth that Riker bought the 200 acres that became Holy City.

Here he offered tourist services including a restaurant and gas station. The town incorporated in 1926. A radio station offering a variety of programming was built in 1924, and went on the air on July 7 of that year under the call letters KFQU.
Though the call letters may appear obscene, they were issued sequentially and could not have been deliberate. The station went off the air in December 1931, and had its license renewal denied on January 11, 1932, due to "irregularities". Ironically, the "religious" community had no church; services were held in Riker's home. Holy City expanded to 300 residents during the 1930s. The town began to decline in the 1940s. With the construction of Highway 17, Holy City was no longer on the main route through the mountains. With the end of the depression, many of Riker's followers were able to find work elsewhere. Riker himself was arrested in 1942 for supporting Hitler, though he was later acquitted. The town disincorporated in 1959, and Riker lost control of the property. Several of the buildings mysteriously burned down shortly afterwards. Holy City is currently owned by Tom Stanton, the sole permanent resident and self-appointed mayor. He runs a glassblowing shop out of the post office.

vulture38
Guide

The Ghost Towns Collection---Amatol, NJ [Re: Majoska]
      #358604 - 03/23/06 05:03 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (160 downloads)

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nj/amatol,nj(mullicatownship,nj).html

http://venus.atlantic.edu/amatol/

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection-Furnace Creek, Death Valley [Re: Majoska]
      #359190 - 03/23/06 02:08 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (187 downloads)

New Add
Furnace Creek
Furnace Creek is a census-designated place
located in Inyo County, California. As of the 2000 census,
the CDP had a total population of 31. The elevation of the village is 179 feet below
sea level, making it the lowest census-designated
place in the United States.
At Furnace Creek is the headquarters of Death Valley National Park,
as well as two of its major tourist facilities: Furnace Creek Inn and
the Furnace Creek Ranch Resort. The golf course attached
to the Ranch is the lowest in the world, at 214 feet below sea level.
Most lodging is closed in the summer, when temperatures in the
vicinity regularly reach 130 degrees Fahrenheit (55 degrees Celsius).
A small airport (Death Valley Airport, IATA airport code DTH;
commonly called Furnace Creek Airport) is just west of the town.
Furnace Creek was formerly the base of Death Valley operations
for the Pacific Coast Borax Company.
The Timbisha Indians have lived in the area for centuries.
They provided much of the labor to construct and maintain the
facilities at Furnace Creek, and continue to comprise most of the
permanent population. Springs in the Amargosa Range created a natural
oasis at Furnace Creek, which has subsequently dwindled
due to diversion of this water to support the village..

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection-----------Cochise Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #359388 - 03/23/06 05:15 PM

New Add Click Here For Placemark
Cochise Arizona

Cochise is an example of a ghost town that was not a mining camp. It was created in the early 1880s as a water and fuel stop along the Southern Pacific railroad. In 1882 railroad telegrapher John Rath built the Cochise Hotel to serve the railroad crews and also put a Wells Fargo office in the front room.

A post office was granted in 1896.
Cochise had a peak population of about 3000, as a result of increased ranching in the Sulphur Springs Valley and mining activities that had started in nearby Johnson and Pearce.
Cochise today still has a couple of residents. The Cochise hotel is open for meals and lodging (after reservation) and is really worth a visit. The guestrooms are all furnished with authentic antiques.

Edited by Majoska (03/24/06 02:32 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection---------Plymouth Montserrat [Re: Majoska]
      #361917 - 03/25/06 03:55 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (99 downloads)

New Add
Cochise Arizona
Plymouth was the capital of Montserrat, an overseas territory of the U.K.

After a volcanic eruption in 1995 by the Soufriere Hills volcano, the city was devastated and abandoned. Government buildings are now located at Brades..

Edited by Majoska (03/25/06 03:56 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection---------Placerville Idaho [Re: Majoska]
      #363692 - 03/27/06 12:08 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (88 downloads)

New Add
Placerville Idaho

Placerville
Placerville, located in the Boise Basin, is still home to a granddaughter of an 1874 resident of the town. Her grandfather opened a store in Placerville that year which she now operates. She is also postmistress. Her name is Henrietta Penrod.

No longer does Placerville have its 3 saloons and other whiskey dispensaries of the 1870s, although the Magnolia, one of the original saloons, still stands today as do some original buildings which were constructed of stone instead of logs. The town's population at its height was about 3000 people.

Majoska
Tourist

Ghost Towns Collection------Marysville, Montana [Re: Majoska]
      #364030 - 03/27/06 06:28 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (76 downloads)

New Add
Marysville, Montana

Marysville, Montana From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Marysville, Montana is a small ghost town in Lewis and
Clark County, Montana. In the 1880's and 90's it was a
bustling mining town with a population of 50,000,
and was the center of gold mining in Montana.
It now consists of a few local residents, most of
which commute to and work in nearby Helena, Montana.
Just up the dirt road is Great Divide Ski Area,
down the road is the Silver City Saloon on Highway 229.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection---------Wadsworth, Nevada [Re: Majoska]
      #365989 - 03/28/06 11:22 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (96 downloads)

New Add
Wadsworth, Nevada
From 1868 until 1884 the Central Pacific's Truckee Wadsworth division was located on this site. In 1882, work was started on a new site across the river, and by 1883 a new round house, shop, etc. were completed there. A fire on April 15, 1884, fanned by heavy wind, destroyed the remaining railroad buildings at this location, as well as the town; damage exceeded $100,000. Lack of an adequate water supply contributed to the extensive damage. Another fire in 1902 stimulated the plan to move to a new site. In 1904, division facilities in the town were moved to an entirely new location, which became Sparks, Nevada.

Edited by Majoska (03/28/06 11:29 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection---------Jerome, Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #366880 - 03/29/06 02:16 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (141 downloads)

New Add
Jerome, Arizona

Jerome is a town located in Yavapai County, Arizona, United States. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 329. The area around what is now Jerome was mined for silver and copper since the Spanish colonial era when Arizona was part of New Spain. A mining camp named Jerome was established atop "Cleopatra Hill" in 1883. It was named for Eugene Murray Jerome, a New York investor who owned the mineral rights and financed mining there.

Eugene Jerome never visited his namesake town. Jerome was incorporated as a town on 8 March 1889. The town housed the workers in the nearby United Verde Mine, which was said to produce over 1 billion dollars in ore over the next 70 years. Jerome was reincorporated as a city in 1899 and a building code specifying brick or masonry construction instituted to end the frequent fires that had repeatedly burned up sections of the town previously. Jerome became a notorious "wild west" town, a hotbed of prostitution, gambling, and vice. On 5 February 1903, the New York Sun proclaimed Jerome to be "the wickedest town in the State". In 1915 the population of Jerome was estimated at 2,500. Starting in May of 1917 there was a series of miners strikes, in part organized by the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW). On 10 July of that year armed agents of the mine owners roughly rounded up all the labor union organizers and unionized miners on to railroad cattle cars, on 12 July letting them out near Kingman, Arizona after they were warned not to return to Jerome if they valued their lives. This incident is known as the Jerome Deportation. Deserted buildings on the outskirts of the ghost townIn 1918 fires spread out of control over 22 miles of underground mines. This prompted the end of underground mining in favor of open pit mining. For decades dynamite was used to open up pits in the area, frequently shaking the town and sometimes damaging or moving buildings; after one blast in the 1930s the city jail slid one block down hill intact. In the late 1920s Jerome's population was over 15,000. In 1953 the last of Jerome's mines closed, and much of the population left town. Jerome's population reached a low point of about 50 people in the late 1950s. In 1967 Jerome was designated a Historic District, and a National Historic Landmark in 1976. Today Jerome is a tourism attraction, with many abandoned buildings from its boom town days. In 1983, California folk-singer Kate Wolf wrote the song "Old Jerome" after visiting the town. In 1987 the town council adopted it as their official town song.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection---------Madrid New Mexico [Re: Majoska]
      #367996 - 03/29/06 04:44 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (95 downloads)

New Add
Madrid New Mexico

The story of Madrid is the story of one Oscar Huber. Madrid was a coal-mining town owned and operated by the Albuquerque and Cerrillos Coal Company. Huber worked for the company beginning in 1910 and became superintendent after a few years then eventually buying the company. Electricity was unavailable to homes as late as 1913. Generated in a company powerhouse, electricity was limited to company uses only. After Huber acquired the company, he paved the streets, built new homes on lots made vacant by fires, constructed a six room hospital and made arrangements for unlimited use of electricity and much, much more. Oscar Huber made Madrid a town proud of itself. Its Christmas display of the nativity and other lighted Biblical scenes created a display the like of which had never before been seen in New Mexico. Thousands of visitors from all parts of the state came each year to view the magnificent pageant through 1941 when the lights were turned on for the last time. Conversion to other than solid fuels took its toll on Madrid as it did on other coal mining towns.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection----Elizabethtown-New Mexico [Re: Majoska]
      #369206 - 03/30/06 02:04 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (119 downloads)

New Add
Elizabethtown New Mexico

A funny thing happened to travelers between
Elizabethtown and Taos - they never returned. At least not those who
stayed at Charles Kennedy's resting place between the two cities.
It wasn't until Mrs. Kennedy arrived in Elizabethtown one day and
announced that her husband had killed their baby, that officials began
searching Kennedy's house. They found bones and later unearthed skeletal
remains under the floorboards. This unfortunate incident in the history of
New Mexico's first incorporated town is only one of many.
Not that other mining towns in New Mexico didn't have their own share of bad
guys (and gals!) But Elizabethtown has a history notorious enough to
belie its pretty name. Even the hauntingly-beautiful landscape surrounding
the area, with Mount Baldy in the distance and the Moreno Valley
sweeping past, lends it an air of...well, creepiness. Or maybe it's just
that I went on an overcast day. Elizabethtown, or E-Town as it came to be known, began as a tent city in the 1860's when gold prospectors converged on Mount
Baldy. As the settlement grew, it boasted enough enterprise (including
seven salooons and three dance halls) to make it the Colfax
county seat. By 1871, however, the mining operations had all but run dry
, and a fire in 1903 spelled the end of the town.
Elizabethtown is an easy trip from Eagle Nest and a
good day trip from Santa Fe.

The ruins of a beautiful stone building are
visible from NM 38. A small dirt road runs up the hill past the structure
and a few other remains. Just past the store on the hill is a museum,
run by one of the descendents of an E-Town inhabitant.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection------- Swansea, California [Re: Majoska]
      #371362 - 04/01/06 08:51 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (166 downloads)

New Add
Swansea, California

Swansea was named after.
the mining town Swansea in south Wales.
from which many experienced miners.
emigrated to the USA .
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Swansea, in Inyo County, California, USA
is a perfect example of a North American
ghost town: there is approximately
one building. The tourist information office
in nearby Lone Pine, California tell
travellers to head down the road for
exactly nine miles and then stop, for
that is Swansea, and the sign is easy to miss.
There is little to see.
The population, as of 1998 was four.
A rancher and his wife, their dog, and a Mustang.
Swansea grew up as a rich
silver mining town and was the point
of the ferry across the now dry
Owens Riveminr. Miners would cart
their bullion to the shoreline and use
the silver bricks to make a temporary
hut, in which they would sleep while
waiting for the ferry.
Swansea was named after
the mining town Swansea in south Wales
from which many experienced miners
emigrated to the USA

vulture38
Guide

Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--Manila Village, LA [Re: Majoska]
      #372155 - 04/02/06 01:42 AM

First Settlement in America
The Port City of New Orleans
First -First Filipino-American Generation
Manila Village in the USA
Story of Isabel Welch
E-mail from New Orleans (March 2000)
The St. Malo story
The first “flip club

(note: the archives for Saint Malo/Manila Village stored at Loyola University were destroyed by Katrina. This includes the originals of the docs and pics linked here along with many artifacts...joey)

Filipino American Centennial Commemoration Website

Edited by jtabaco (04/02/06 01:49 AM)

Hamunen
Tourist

Reged: 04/01/06
Loc: FINLAND
Re: Ghost Towns Collection------- Swansea, California [Re: Majoska]
      #372287 - 04/02/06 05:27 AM

Dear all..

Very,very interesting!! Please if you have time,see also oher "small places" like www.kultamuseo.fi well I have heard lot of storyes of old minors,who can help you find AU, metalls..
I have been in Wales two times,also very special places there? But History is history and we must make our own life here now.

--------------------
www.geocities.com/renliumao/finchun_vision.html

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection------- Swansea, California [Re: Hamunen]
      #372370 - 04/02/06 06:56 AM

Quote:

Very,very interesting!! Please if you have time,see also oher "small places" like www.kultamuseo.fi

Thanx for you post jtabaco ha his contribution

there no small place in the world to tell his history all is fascinated
Cheers

Edited by Majoska (04/02/06 06:57 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Ghost Towns Collection-----Auraria, Georgia [Re: Majoska]
      #372714 - 04/02/06 11:13 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (160 downloads)

New Add
Auraria, Georgia

Auraria is a ghost town in Lumpkin County, Georgia, southwest of Dahlonega. In 1828, a man walked Findley
Ridge and kicked a rock -- and discovered it was
full of gold. This was in Cherokee Indian territory,
and part of present day Lumpkin County, Georgia.
Settlers came in the Indian lands searching for gold.

The indians were dismayed at the influx of
unauthorized settlers. Cherokee Indian leader
Major Ridge, along with his son John Ridge
and Stand Watie met with the United States
and seceeded the land in Georgia for land in
Oklahoma. Most of the Cherokee Nation (under John Ross)
protested the decision, but the Supreme Court
under John Marshall forced the treaty on the
Cherokees and the Cherokee removal from Georgia
began (this is known as the Trail of Tears).
The land east of Auraria was purchased by
Vice President John Calhoun, and he
established the Calhoun Mine there.
The banks of Etowah River, Camp Creek, and Cane Creek had
many mines (Barlow Mine, Battle Creek Mine,
Ralston Mine, Whim Hill Mine, Hedwig-Chicago Mine,
Gold Hill Mine Etowah Mine, ....). Due to politics and land ownership, another nearby city was established, Dahlonega, Georgia.

Due to location and political influence, Dahlonega received a Federal Mint for gold coins. This operated until 1861. About 1849, gold was discovered in California, then Colorado. The gold mining in Georgia decreased as miners went west looking for uncharted prospecting. Men from Auraria left for Kansas Territory and formed the settlement of Auraria near present-day Denver.

Gold mining operations all but ceased; Auroraria's population quickly dwindled, and the town quickly deteriorated. Auraria, the first boom town for gold, suddenly became America's first ghost town. After the California gold rush in 1849, Auraria faded into history. After the American Civil War, the remaining commercial gold mining moved, primarily to the north and east of Dahlonega. By the end of World War II, most buildings were deteriorated or gone

Edited by Majoska (04/03/06 04:03 AM)

Hamunen
Tourist

Reged: 04/01/06
Loc: FINLAND
Re: Ghost Towns Collection-----Auraria, Georgia [Re: Majoska]
      #373363 - 04/02/06 11:32 PM

Dear all..

Like some natives startted 1868 in Finland "Gold Rush" and some of them saw strange places? they could find Gold? They have done one Film of it,name "Lapin Kullan Kimallus" please see more links:www.kultamuseo.fi

--------------------
www.geocities.com/renliumao/finchun_vision.html

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection-----Auraria, Georgia [Re: Hamunen]
      #376530 - 04/05/06 07:37 PM

Quote:

Like some natives startted 1868 in Finland "Gold Rush" and some of them saw strange places?

Hamunen Thanx fot you contribution I like thoses pictures

Majoska
Tourist

Ghost Towns Collection---Searchmont Ontario Canada [Re: Majoska]
      #376545 - 04/05/06 08:27 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (162 downloads)

New Add
Searchmont Ontario Canada

is a seasonal town, providing excellent skiing in the winter (it draws people from the United States) and hiking/biking trails in the summer. There are resorts to accomodate seasonal tourists. There still exists a small and cozy train station as well as a large abandoned industrial factory nearby. Thanks to Cameron for showing me this site during the summer of 2002.

The old railway station still stands. During my initial visit, a sign on the station indicated that the Heritage Foundation would like to hear from persons interested in saving the building. It was scheduled to be demolished in keeping with our province's tradition of preserving our heritage. In 2006, I was informed by a visitor to this site (Vivian M.) that the station has since been declared a heritage structure and has been saved from demolition.

The factory behind the train station is the old lumber mill which belonged to Weldwood of Canada. There is a spur line to the Algoma Railway.

Location: Take highway 17 west. Follow it to Heyden intersection with Highway 556. Take Highway 556 for 29 km to the intersection with Highway 532. From here it is 3km to the train station. The factory was owned by G.W. Martin as "G.M. Martin Veneer Limited". An arson in February of 2005 destroyed much of the factory.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection---Mt. Goldsworthy Mine [Re: Majoska]
      #377024 - 04/06/06 09:11 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (137 downloads)

New Add
Mt. Goldsworthy Mine

Goldsworthy was a mining town in Western Australia not far from Port Hedland. The town was abandoned when the iron ore mine it served was closed. Upon closure, all buildings were removed, all vegetation not indigenous to the local area was burnt and the roads were torn up. This was done in accordance with the government's policy of regrowth to avoid the occurrence of ghost towns. Today there is very little on the site to indicate that the town ever existed. The pit that was the mine still exists, but is flooded. The railway to other mines passes nearby, and there is a (solar powered) radio repeater site to service the railway. Otherwise there are only natural features on the Goldsworthy site.

Edited by Majoska (04/07/06 07:19 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

Ghost Towns Collection---------The Customs House [Re: Majoska]
      #378372 - 04/07/06 11:40 AM

New Add
The Customs House, Ontario, Canada

We first heard about the Custom House Haunting in Barbara Smith's book entitled "Ontario Ghost Stories". We knew about the Custom House before this though because I personally (Stephanie) can remember my Dad taking me down there when I was young to look at the beautiful architecture. I feel that it would be best to put the story here, which is kindly taken from Barbara Smith's book, because it does the story most justice. "Mind the Lady" Despite its majestic appearance, the building at 51 Stuart Street in Hamilton has served some decidedly pragmatic functions. Custom House, an imposing example of Victorian architecture, was built in 1860 to house the customs department. Since then, the building has served as an army recruiting centre, a flophouse, a macaroni factory and a martial arts academy. Today it houses the Ontario Workers Arts and Heritage Centre (OWAHC). Throughout all of these changes, one fact has remained constant - the building is haunted. The first documented reference to the ghost appeared during 1873, in a poem written and published by Alexander Wingfield, then an employee at Custom House. No one knows for sure who the entity was when she was alive, but the "Black Lady", or "Dark Lady", as she is commonly known, is as much in residence today as she ever was.

Edited by Majoska (04/07/06 11:41 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection--------Keystone, Montana [Re: Majoska]
      #378405 - 04/07/06 12:00 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (133 downloads)

New Add
Keystone, Montana

The Mineral County area started being developed following the building of the Mullan Trail in 1859. Extremely dense forests made traveling through the area undesirable previously. Mullan forbade any of his men to search for gold for fear a "gold rush" would disrupt the trail construction. On September 11, 1865 the first two claims were filed, on the St. Regis River. W. W. Johnson, who had worked as a surveyor on the Mullan project, filed a gold claim, the "Missoula Gold and Silver Quartz Ledge," and Peter Toft filed the "Beaver Gold and Silver Quartz Ledge." Sketchy records fail to indicate whether either claim was worked. In October, 1869 a French-Canadian named Louis Barrette, who had passed through the area a year earlier, returned with a partner, Basil Lanthier, to prospect. They were panning gold within a few hours of camping on a creek they called "Cayuse" (a small tributary of Cedar Creek). They worked their way about four miles up the creek to what they named "Louisville Bar." As winter was setting in, the men opted to keep their discovery quiet until spring. Unfortunately, they sent Adolph Lozeau, a trapper in the area, into Frenchtown for supplies. Lozeau, with the help of liquor, failed to keep the secret, and the news got out. By daylight the next morning at least 100 prospectors were scrambling along the creek. It was decided, in order to keep peace, to survey and record 200 foot claims and assign them to the men, who were mostly businessmen from Hell Gate and Frenchtown, rather than drifting prospectors

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection-----WITTSBURG Arkansas [Re: Majoska]
      #379312 - 04/08/06 05:31 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (146 downloads)

New Add
WITTSBURG Cross Co

WITTSBURG Cross Co. Southeast of Wynne, this badly faded class
D town was a major river port. It is two miles from Levesque, on the
St. Francis River. In 1739, Bienville, the French governor of Louisiana,
built a fort here. In 1803 when the Americans took over, the site was
renamed Strong's Point, and from 1862-1868 acted as the county seat
of Cross County. When the steamboat trade faded, the down did also.
In 1886 the county seat was relocated to Vanndale, and today all that
remains is a rural community

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection-----Shamrock. Oklahoma [Re: Majoska]
      #380800 - 04/09/06 11:43 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (158 downloads)

Shamrock. Oklahoma

Shamrock. Oklahoma Once a booming oil town with as
many as 10,000 people, the town now sits fading with only about 100 residents,
crumbling foundations and long closed businesses.
The town began as a small farming hamlet with it first post office
established on July 9, 1910. Shamrock was named by the first postmaster,J.M. Thomas, for his hometown in southern Illinois.
By 1913, the town supported two general stores, a restaurant and a population of 35 people. However, this all changed when the Cushing Oil
Field began to develop two years later.
The town site soon shifted to the southern edge of the oil field
and became a boomtown almost overnight.
Nearby, oil-field camps called Dropright, Gasright,
Alright, Downright, Damright and Justright sprung up in the vicinity.
When the new location for the town was surveyed and platted,
Shamrock took on an Irish character with its Main street named Tipperary Road and other streets taking on monikers such as Cork, Dublin, Ireland, St. Patrick, and Killarney.
Buildings were painted green and the town acquired a Blarney stone.
Its first newspaper was called the Shamrock Brogue.
Cushing some 15 miles to the northwest of Shamrock really
boomed as it soon supported 23 refineries and before long the town
of Drumright was formed just six miles north of Shamrock.
The Cushing field became one of the greatest oil discoveries of the early 1900’s,
producing 300,000 barrels a day by 1915.
By 1919, the Cushing-Drumright area accounted for 17 percent of U. S. and 3 percent
of world production of oil, becoming known as the "pipeline
crossroads of the world."

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection-----Chloride Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #381257 - 04/09/06 06:21 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (117 downloads)

New Add
Chloride Arizona

Chloride Arizona
Much like Oatman, Arizona, Chloride has revived itself from near death by promoting tourism in this almost ghost town.

The oldest continuously inhabited mining town in the state, Chloride is called home today by about 150 full time residents. Preserving and promoting itself, this quaint mining town invites thousands of visitors every year to experience a bit of the Old West. During the 1840s prospectors began to canvas the area for any sign of precious minerals and in the early 1860s they stumbled upon several rich silver veins on a site they called Silver Hill. Later they would find other riches including, gold, lead, zinc, copper and turquoise in the area. Historic Post Office and Russell's Store in Chloride, Arizona, Kathy Weiser, April, 2005 The mining camp of Chloride was founded around 1863, but despite the vast riches of the district, it grew slowly due to the hostile Hualapai Indians. However, the Butterfield Stage Line began to service Chloride and the surrounding area in 1868. In the late 1860s the U.S. Army began to subdue the Hualapai and by the early 1870s a treaty was signed with the Indians, clearing the path for extensive mining.

reference

ctdkite
Tourist

Reged: 03/24/06
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection-Amidon North Dakota [Re: Majoska]
      #381306 - 04/09/06 07:40 PM

I know people who live in Amidon. To them, it is no ghost town. It is just a small town. It is also the county seat. I guess what constitutes a ghost town is in the eye of the beholder.

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection---------------Arivaca AZ [Re: Majoska]
      #382753 - 04/11/06 02:21 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (146 downloads)

New Add
Arivaca AZ

Arivaca's townsite was originally a Pima Indian village. Mining operations in the area begain in 1856 and when the mines played out, ranching took over. Today, Arivaca is considered a small ranch town. Many old historic buildings are still standing and the cemetery is worth seeing. Arivaca was originally a Pima and Tohono
O'odham (Papago) Indian village, and were named after one Spanish
Ranch by the name La Aribac, witch were abandoned in 1751.
In 1812 bayed Tomas and Ignacio Ortiz the ranch from the Spanish
colonial governor. Charles Poston and his Sonora Exploring and Mining
Company bayed the ranch from Ortiz family in 1856 for 10.000 dollars.

The legend teals that Teresa Celya's house in Arivaca were once
hide place for two men why robed Vulture Mine and buried the gold here.
We found this Info thanx to this web site
Bobby Krause Zlatevski from ghostowns.com

Edited by Majoska (04/11/06 03:27 AM)

Majoska
Tourist

Re: Ghost Towns Collection-----------Congress.Az [Re: Majoska]
      #383627 - 04/11/06 06:03 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (137 downloads)

New Add
Congress.Az

Gold was discovered in Congress in 1884 and more than 400 men came to work the mines aided by the addition of the railroad. The Silver Dollar Saloon is where they spent their leisure time. There are remnants, an old mine, and a cemetery to be seen in Congress. There was an upper and a lower part to the town. The upper part of Congress is where the businesses were located, and the people lived in the lower part. A fire destroyed most of the businesses in Congress in 1898, but the mine was worked until the 1930's. The mine and the Old Congress Cemetery are not open to tourists.

Edited by Majoska (04/11/06 06:10 PM)

Majoska
Tourist

The Ghost Towns Collection---------Cherry Arizona [Re: Majoska]
      #384615 - 04/12/06 03:49 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (236 downloads)

New Add
Cherry Ghost town

Cherry was founded on gold mining in the 1870's. Noteable mines in the area include the Federal, Logan and Gold Bullion mines. About 400 people lived and worked in Cherry during its prime. Enough to support a school (left) and stage stop. Cherry was never incorporated as a town, and did not have a church. Lacking these two establishments, written history of Cherry is scarce. The cemetery has several graves from the 1800's and many recent burials. Nearby is the town fire station, boasting a surplus tank truck with a "No Sniveling" plate on the front bumper.

Edited by Majoska (04/12/06 03:59 PM)

ear1grey
Tourist

Reged: 12/06/05
Re: Ghost Towns Collection------- Swansea, Califo [Re: Majoska]
      #412399 - 05/08/06 08:40 AM

Hey now that's cool... I wrote the first draft of that Wikipiedia entry
Nice to see it's been useful!

PatrickSalsbury
Tourist

Reged: 12/23/04
Loc: Loma Prieta, CA, USA
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection---Holy City, Califo [Re: Majoska]
      #515700 - 07/17/06 02:35 PM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (121 downloads)

A great post, and the story of the history agrees with things I've read in the local magazines about the history of Holy City. The only problem I spotted was the actual location, which was off by about 3.1 miles, according to Google Earth.

I've included a KMZ file with the correct location, centered on the glassblowing studio/old Post Office. I've lived within a few miles of Holy City for about 9-10 years, and pass it occasionally, when taking the back roads to avoid traffic backups on 17 due to accidents, or when just joy-riding through the mountains here. The back roads are more squiggly than 17, and you have to go slower, and it's totally worth it. :-)

Hope this helps to clear up any confusion, and that the location in the collection can be updated with this info.

--------------------
Pat

petedavo
Tourist

Reged: 04/21/06
Loc: Eastern Hills, outside Perth, ...
Placemark for--Wittenoom ,Australia [Re: Majoska]
      #664422 - 10/30/06 04:04 AM

You can find the placemark in this thread

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Number/634940

number1fan
Master Bard

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: NorCAL
FOR SALE -Ghost Town Holy City, California [Re: Majoska]
      #724524 - 12/19/06 10:20 AM

FOR SALE Holy City, CA

Only Eleven Million....USD Prime location!

A30
Collector

Reged: 01/27/07
Ghost Towns Collection---------- [Re: Majoska]
      #836048 - 03/17/07 07:41 PM

Quote:

New Add
Cherry Ghost town

Quote:

A30
Collector

Reged: 01/27/07
Ghost Towns Collection---- [Re: Majoska]
      #836049 - 03/17/07 07:42 PM

Quote:

New Add
Cherry Ghost town

Quote:

phxmark123
Tourist

Reged: 07/13/07
Loc: sherman, Tx
Re: Ghost Towns Collection--------Keystone, Montana [Re: Majoska]
      #947754 - 07/15/07 06:24 AM

View in Google Earth         View in Google Maps (39 downloads)

I just added a placemark to the ghost town of "Tip Top" in the Bradshaw mountians of Arizona. There is a link there to more info. I've been there and it is a 4wheel drive only road. Pretty cool with the building and mines Just wish I had my metal detector at the time. Add it to your collection. Great idea

Edited by phxmark123 (07/15/07 11:53 PM)

ChomFa
Tourist

Reged: 09/07/05
Re: Ghost Towns Collection---------Placerville Idaho [Re: Majoska]
      #1008825 - 09/22/07 08:51 PM

I thought this might be a useful update.
Re: Placerville, Idaho
"Update: Would like you to note that Henrietta Penrod died around 1970-71. The store is no longer owned by a descendent of the original owner sadly. However the mercantile and magnolia are now museums." - Margaret Butters
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/id/placerville.html

ChomFa
Tourist

Reged: 09/07/05
Re: The Ghost Towns Collection--LOTHROP Montana [Re: Majoska]
      #1008829 - 09/22/07 09:26 PM

Majoska - I'm enjoying your ghost town thread, but I note that your "placemark" for Lothrop, Montana takes people to Amboy, California!
I'm not being pedantic - I'm on a hunt for Lathrop/Lothrop and cannot find a location that suggests a ghost town exists there.
A GoogleEarth search takes me to a local just outside of Alberton, Montana. Is this the site of Lothrop you talk of? Also, there's no places named Bemidji or Hackensack - at least according to GE! Is it them - or us??

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Jumble, Hill, Kempster, mcshea98, jeffryv, dulce, esterrett, NormB, Frank_McVey, BeadieJay, TheLedge, Cyclonic, no_stranger, LuciaM, tekgergedan, Noisette, danescombe, Michal_Drewniak, freezer_magnet, mutex 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ***
Topic views: 41714

Rate this topic

Jump to

earth.google.com    bbs.keyhole.com

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1