CHARLES H. KITSONCharles Herbert Kitson 1913-1920 (b. Leyburn, Yorks., 13 Nov. 1874; d. London, 13 May 1944). After attending school in Ripon, Kitson became organ scholar of Selwyn College, Cambridge in 1893, and took the Cambridge degrees of BA (1896) and MA (1904). Between those dates he also took the Oxford degrees of B.Mus. (1897) and D.Mus. (1902).
He originally intended to take holy orders. But after teaching at Haileybury (1897-8) and St Edmund's School, Canterbury (1898-1901), he became organist of St John the Baptist, Leicester (1902, according to West 1921; 1906 according to Venn), from where he moved to Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin in 1913. In 1915 he also became professor music at University College, Dublin (National University of Ireland). He resiged both these appointments in 1920 and settled in London, where he joined the staff of the Royal College of Music. In 1920 he was appointed to the (non-resident) chair of music at Trinity College (University of Dublin) in succession to *P.C. Buck. He retired from this in 1935. He was an honorary FRCO and wrote several widely used textbooks.
Kitson was in Dublin at the time of the Irish rising in 1916, and his eyewitness account of certain events is no Lcm, MS 4756.
Thornsby 1912; West 1921; MT 85 (1944), 191, 206; WWW, 1941-50; Venn.
Source: Watkins Shaw, The succession of organists of the chapel royal and the cathedrals of England and Wales from c.1538: Also the organists of the collegiate churches of Westminster and Windsor, certain academic choral foundations, and the cathedrals of Armagh and Dublin (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1991), p. 415.
Photo: Archives of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin.